When I was a little girl, my Mom used to work at a jewelry store in St. Helens, OR. I blame her for my love of all things bling – thanks Mom, you gave me really good taste in jewelry! 😀 Anyway, across the street from the jewelry store was a five & dime store that had a lunch counter – one of the old fashioned ones that served homemade milk shakes, soups and sandwiches and they served the best food! It was a real treat on those rare occasions that we would get to go into town and have lunch with Mom. My favorites were their Meatloaf Sandwiches, Split Pea Soup – (you’ll find my recipe by clicking here) and a delicious creamy Broccoli Soup. Today I wanted to share with you my version of their amazing soup. It’s something I’ve made several times, cream of broccoli soup used to be my Grandmother’s favorite so as I write this today, I’m reflecting on the past – great memories, one and all, of a time long ago.
Loaded with vegetables and very cheesy you take a shortcut with help from the food processor. This yummy, creamy soup is so tasty everyone will think you’ve spent hours developing the flavor, when in reality it takes longer to chop up the vegetables than it does to cook the soup!
Easy, cheesy, creamy 30 Minute Broccoli Cheese Soup will be perfect for dinner tonight!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 onion
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large or 2 small heads garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups shredded cheese I used a sharp cheddar
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce optional
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Start by removing just the ends of the florets from the broccoli stems - set aside in a bowl. You'll need 4-6 cups of florets. Roughly chop the stems and place into a food processor.
- Peel & chop the carrots, place into the same bowl with the broccoli florets
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, place it into the food processor. Peel & chop the garlic and into the food processor it goes also. Add all of the mushrooms into the food processor and pulse to process until all of the ingredients are well pureed.
- Using a heavy bottom pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil is simmering, add the vegetable puree, broccoli and carrots. Stirring occasionally saute for about 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, add the flour and mix together well. Continue stirring and cooking the mixture for about 2 more minutes. You'll want to cook the flour taste out and the roux/vegetable mixture will turn a light gold color.
- Add the chicken stock and stir. The mixture will really thicken. After a couple of minutes, add the cheese and continue to stir until it melts. Add the milk and heat thru. If desired, add the tabasco sauce - this just adds a nice background spice - it won't make it hot! That's eat - serving and enjoy!