Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe - This simple meal is ready in less than 30 minutes. It's filled with vegetables and a silky, creamy cheese sauce that makes this soup sumptuous and delicious! It will have everyone begging for seconds!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
When I was a little girl, my Mom used to work at a jewelry store in St. Helens, OR. I blame her for my love of all things bling - thanks Mom, you gave me really good taste in jewelry! 😀
Anyway, across the street from the jewelry store was a five and dime store that had a lunch counter - one of the old fashioned ones that served homemade milk shakes, soups and sandwiches. They served the best food!
It was a real treat on those rare occasions we would go into town and have lunch with Mom. My favorites were their Meatloaf Sandwiches, Split Pea Soup - (you'll find my recipe by clicking here) and a delicious creamy Broccoli Soup.
Today I wanted to share with you my version of their amazing soup. It's something I've made several times as it was my Grandma's favorite soup. I think it just might be yours too if you like cheesy, creamy and easy! 😋
Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup
I think you're going to love this soup. It comes together quickly and easily. It's stuffed with veggies and even your pickiest eaters will enjoy it! It's not hard to make either; but just in case, I'm going to answer some questions in advance.
Ingredients for Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
- broccoli, onions, mushrooms, carrots and garlic - this soup is stuffed with vegetables but shhh.... no one needs to be the wiser!
- flour - to thicken the soup, you could also substitute with cornstarch mixed with cold water, but I prefer flour.
- stock - you can use chicken or vegetable and whole milk - though you can certainly use 2% if that's what you have on hand.
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes - for seasoning.
- butter and olive oil to sauté the vegetables - you can use all olive oil, but I prefer the richness that the butter adds to this recipe.
- tabasco sauce - this is optional, but a couple of shakes add a nice pepper bite to the soup.
Why is my broccoli cheese soup grainy?
This will happen if the soup is too hot when you add the cheese.
How do you add cheese to soup?
Bring the soup to a simmer before adding the cheese (not boiling, but a simmer). Finely grate the cheese. Add it in handfuls and stir it in with each addition.
By following these simple steps, the cheese will not clump in the soup
Can you freeze broccoli cheese soup?
Yes, this soup freezes well. You may loose a bit of texture in the larger pieces of broccoli, but that would not stop me from freezing a quart of soup.
Allow it to cool completely and ladle it into a container. Well sealed it will last in the freezer up to three months.
What cheese is good in soup?
Good melting cheese are best in soups - a medium or sharp cheddar cheese melts great! Gruyere melts wonderfully and adds a unique flavor. Swiss and Fontina are also great choices!
What goes good with broccoli and cheese soup?
Now this is my favorite question! Homemade Bread, rolls, salad or a small sandwich would pair wonderfully with this meal.
Easy to make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Loaded with vegetables and very cheesy you take a shortcut with help from the food processor.
This yummy, creamy soup is so tasty everyone will think you've spent hours developing the flavor, when in reality it takes longer to chop up the vegetables than it does to cook the soup!
Steps to make Broccoli Soup
- Remove the broccoli florets and set aside.
- Chop the stems, carrots, onions and garlic. Place into a food processor. Add the mushrooms also and pulse to process until all of the ingredients are well pureed.
- Using a heavy bottom pot, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add all of the vegetables and sa
- Next add the flour and mix together well. Cooking the mixture for about 2 minutes to cook the flour out.
- Add the stock and stir. The mixture will really thicken. After a couple of minutes, add the cheese and continue to stir until it melts.
- Now add the milk and heat thru. A couple dashes of tabasco sauce adds great flavor and brightens to soup!
More of my favorite creamy soup recipes!
Creamy soups are rich and decadent like my recipe for Beer Cheese Soup. These simple meals don't take all day to make either! Or this easy carrot soup recipe - YUM! Here are more great recipes to consider for your next meal.
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 onion
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic if they are small, use 2 cloves
- ⅓ cup flour
- 4 cups shredded cheese I used a sharp cheddar
- 2 cups stock chicken or vegetable stock, whichever you prefer
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce optional
- Start by removing the ends of the florets from the broccoli stems - set aside in a bowl. You'll need about four cups of florets. Roughly chop the stems and place into a food processor.
- Peel and dice the carrots, place into the same bowl with the broccoli florets
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, place it into the food processor. Peel and chop the garlic and into the food processor it goes also. Add all of the mushrooms into the food processor and pulse to process until all of the ingredients are well pureed.
- Using a heavy bottom stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil is simmering, add the vegetable puree, broccoli and carrots. Stirring occasionally saute for about 8 minutes.
- Next, add the flour and mix together well. Continue stirring and cooking the mixture for about 2 more minutes. You'll want to cook the flour taste out and the roux/vegetable mixture will turn a light gold color.
- Add the chicken stock and stir. The mixture will really thicken. After a couple of minutes, add the cheese and continue to stir until it melts. Add the milk and heat thru. If desired, add the tabasco sauce - this just adds a nice background spice - it won't make it hot! That's eat - serving and enjoy!