Sausage and Okra Stew is a fusion of Italian and American flavors. It is a delicious combination of polenta and Italian sausage, paired with fall harvest flavors like potatoes, okra and corn. This stew is rich, thick, hearty and delicious!
Next time try this Bell Pepper Stew Recipe!
Okra Stew Recipe
Okra... love it... or hate it? Never tried? Ahhh yes! That's who I'm looking for! Someone without preconceived notions of okra.
You know I'm kidding, right? I confess - until I moved to the valley, I had never tried okra either. However once I tried it, I was hooked! It has an earthy flavor and a bright crunchy texture.
Fried okra, YUM! Sausage and Okra Stew? Delicious!
In this recipe okra is coated with polenta and together they make a rich creamy soup. Did you doubt me?
Seriously, this is rich and hearty - all you really need is a great loaf of crusty bread to sop up all this amazing broth!
Shopping list for Sausage and Okra Stew
- Italian sausage
- Yukon gold potatoes
- frozen corn
- chicken broth
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
How to stew fresh okra
I'm going to address the elephant in the room because I know what you're thinking. Okra is slimy. True or not, Deb?
When it's sliced and fresh, yes. But here's the deal - you don't eat it raw! (Although I've tried it and love the flavor!)
How do you make okra not slimy?
Deep fried or stewed, once it's cooked the texture is a non-starter. In this stew, the okra is coated with polenta. It's a crunchy bright flavor. The polenta thickens the stew and when it's mixed with the sausage? This one is dynamite!
How do I clean okra?
- For this stew you will run it under cold water.
- Slice off the stem and discard.
- Slice the okra into ¼ inch slices.
- If you are deep frying the okra you'll want to soak it in a vinegar brine for 30 minutes.
- Drain well and dry completely before frying.
Are okra seeds safe to eat?
- Absolutely! No worries there!
Can you eat the whole okra?
- You bet, you'll only need to remove the stem.
How long does it take for okra to cook?
If you're stir frying okra it only takes 3-4 minutes, in the stew it's simmered with the vegetables until the potatoes are tender.
How do you thaw frozen okra?
No fresh okra, no problem! Use frozen! No need to thaw it beforehand. Add it to the stew when you add the rest of the vegetables.
How to make Okra Stew
Steps to make Okra Stew Recipe
- Brown the sausage in a heavy bottom pot.
- Slice and dice the vegetables, mince the garlic.
- Add in the okra, potatoes and onions.
- Saute then add the garlic and polenta. Mix well and season.
- Increase the heat to high, add the chicken broth, bring to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As the stew simmers it thickens and when the potatoes are cooked through, add the frozen corn and stir
It only takes about 45 minutes from start to finish to make this stew. This is an easy weeknight meal!
More hearty stews I know you'll love!
More Okra Recipes to try!
- Ropa Vieja Recipe - A traditional Cuban recipe using okra, bell peppers and fresh vegetables!
- Simple Sauteed Okra - earthy flavored okra is highlighted in this simple recipe!
- Southern Fried Okra - southern + fried! Need I say anymore? YUM!
- Zesty Roasted Okra - a lighter take on fried okra, spicy and delicious!
Ready to try some okra? Awesome!
I know you'll enjoy this recipes! This recipe makes a nice big pot of stew, enough for 6 generous portions or 8 healthy bowls. Plenty for your family - and if you don't say anything about the okra, they won't even know, right? Enjoy!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Sausage and Okra Stew
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- ½ lb okra thinly sliced
- 2 yukon gold potatoes chopped into small bite sized
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup polenta
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Start by browning the sausage over medium heat in a heavy bottom pan. Get a good sear on it - you want it to be well browned and broken up into little pieces
- While the sausage is cooking, chop the okra, onions, potatoes and mince the garlic.
- Drain the excess oil from the sausage and add in the okra, potatoes & onions. Sauté for about 4 minutes and add the garlic and polenta. Mix well, seasoning with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the chicken broth, bring to a boil. Stir well scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. !
- Reduce to simmer and cook for another 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add in the frozen corn once the potatoes are cooked thru.
- The stew will thicken as it cooks. When the potatoes are fork tender, the stew is complete. Enjoy!