Do you love Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup? Yeah, me too! Guess what? Now you can make it at home and this recipe is even better! My recipe for Italian Sausage Potato Soup is quick and easy make and tastes even better!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
This soup has all the flavors of a slow cooked meal but is done in less than 30 minutes! What's not to love, right? Plus it's easy to make, affordable and delicious!
For the complete list of ingredients for this easy Italian sausage potato soup recipe, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Italian sausage - you can use mild or spicy. I prefer using mild because I can control the spice.
- potatoes - I use Yukon Gold potatoes, but you can use red potatoes or russet, but if you use russet you'll need to peel the potatoes.
- kale - curly, black or red kale. You can also use Swiss chard or spinach.
- broth - beef or chicken broth will work, both are delicious, I've made it either way.
- cream - half and half, evaporated milk or milk can also be substituted.
- white wine - chardonnay or other dry white wine. You always want to use drinkable wine (not cooking wine). If you're not a wine person substitute with additional stock.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Brown the sausage.
- While it is browning, peel the potatoes. Peel and chop the onion. Add to the sausage along with the seasoning and sauté.
- Next, clean and chop kale, add to the soup along with the bay leaf and garlic, continue to sauté.
- Increase the heat to high, add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This is a great make ahead recipe. If you're doing some meal planning, make it on Sunday and enjoy for lunch several days during the week.
- Prep the onions and kale ahead of time for a quick easy meal.
Expert Tip: Finish this soup with a tablespoon of butter to add rich creamy flavor.
🙋🏼♀️ Recipe FAQ's
It's an Italian term and refers to a hearty type of soup in which the main ingredients are mostly vegetables. In America, the Olive Garden has popularized Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup with the addition of sausage, resulting in a hearty soup with big flavor!
This is a creamy soup filled with greens. It's super hearty too! I bet it will become a family favorite!
You can substitute half and half or even milk. If you use milk, a tablespoon of butter will keep the rich creamy flavor.
You can, but I don't recommend it. The potatoes get mealy when frozen and the kale will turn brown. Good news is, it lasts in the refrigerator up to 3 days - enjoy!
Personally, I love kale, but I know it's not for everyone! You can substitute Swiss chard or spinach. Both are great substitutes that are full of flavor.
Don't like kale? I think you'll change your mind after trying this soup! But if you're really not a fan of kale, you can substitute with Swiss chard or spinach!
😋 Related Recipes
If you enjoy this soup, here are a few more that are filled with savory sausage and tons of flavor. Be sure and try this recipe for Sausage and Okra Stew it's really quite amazing and is quickly becoming one of the most popular soups on the blog!
Lentil and sausage soup is really a great combination as well - it's another easy affordable meal.
What to serve alongside Italian Sausage and Potatoes Soup? Breadsticks of course! A couple other great meal pairings are a yummy Garden Salad this one is totally my favorite! A great Heirloom Tomato Salad would be delicious as well!
Italian Sausage Potato Soup
- ½ pound Italian sausage mild
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups beef broth you can also use chicken stock
- ½ cup cream half and half or milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup dry white wine suggest using Chardonnay
- Start by by browning the sausage in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- While it is browning, peel the potatoes. Dice, peel and chop an onion, mince one clove of garlic.
- Next clean and chop kale. Remove the stems, chop the leaves into bite sized pieces, set aside.
- When the sausage is done, add the chopped onions, diced potatoes and spices. Sauté until the veggies just begin to soften. Add the kale, sauté for another minute or two.
- Add a splash of wine to the pan to deglaze. Scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat to high and add the broth. Bring it to a boil. Boil uncovered until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and stir in half and half.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
This post was originally published Sep 29, 2018, updated on October 25, 2020 to improve photos and provide better instructions for readers.