There's nothing like creamy potato soup at the end of a long day. It's hearty, comforting, and always seems to hit the spot. So, if you're wondering what to serve with your favorite potato soup recipe, you've come to the right spot!
This collection of delicious recipes includes perfect side dishes, crusty bread recipes, and lots of crisp salad ideas, too. No matter what you're looking for, we have the best ideas to turn your tasty main course into a satisfying, complete meal.
What sides go well with potato soup
Creamy soup makes for an easy meal, and there are plenty of different ways you can add variety. That way, you never feel as if you're eating the same dinner twice!
When considering what to serve with a hearty bowl of potato soup, think about sides that add some contrast! Since soup has a creamy texture, it goes great with things like crisp, leafy greens, or a thick sourdough bread slice that acts as a second spoon!
Soup is an easy way to get that classic, comfort food feeling without devoting hours to the kitchen. Some of the most delicious sides are made with simple ingredients, so you don't have to do much prep at all.
Garlic bread, rolls, and breadsticks
Serve bread with potato soup to make your delicious meal stretch. It's also a great way to soak up every last bit of flavorful, creamy broth—the best part, of course!
- French baguette slices
- Cheese-stuffed bread
- German pretzel sticks
- Rye bread
- Beginner-friendly yeast dinner rolls
- Garlic breadsticks
- Parmesan popovers
- Multi-grain bread
- Sourdough bread slices
- Air fryer garlic bread
- Garlic knots
- Herb focaccia bread
- Rolls from frozen bread dough
Crunchy salad recipes
Salads make a great side dish because they add a pop of fresh color and flavor to the dinner table spread.
Serve one of these recipes with potato soup for a well-rounded, perfect meal.
- Greek salad
- Tossed garden salad
- Southwest salad (shown above!)
- Summer corn Panzanella
- Shaved Brussels sprouts salad
- Outback wedge salad
- Broccoli salad
- Steakhouse salad
- Arugula salad
- Strawberry spinach salad
- Asparagus salad
- Classic Caesar salad
- Grilled chicken salad
- Fall harvest salad
- Chop salad with vinaigrette
- Cobb salad
What's for dessert?
Complement your main dish with one of these perfect dessert recipes.
After all, planning your after-dinner sweet treat in advance is an easy way to ensure you don't end up eating stale candy from the back of the pantry, again!
- Apple spice bundt cake (pictured above!)
- Shortbread cookies
- Strawberry shortcake
- Chocolate truffles
- Apple tart
- Apple Hand Pies
- Cream puffs
- No-bake Oreo balls
- Brioche bread pudding
- Whoopie pies
- Homemade chocolate fudge
- Double chocolate cherry brownies
- Brown sugar cookies
What side dishes don't go with potato soup
The best side dishes to serve with potato soup add a little bit of extra flavor or texture—without overpowering your main dish.
Here are some examples of delicious side dishes that are a perfect choice for something other than a big bowl of soup.
- Candied Sweet Potatoes smell amazing, taste even better, and feel like the holidays. They don't make a great side for soup, though.
- Cilantro Lime Rice makes a great side dish for protein and beans, but it might be a little too carb-heavy when served with potatoes.
- Mexican Fruit Salad adds a fresh, juicy, zingy element to dinner. It goes great with tacos, grilled meats, and rice-based dishes!
Great potato soup recipes
You're in luck! There are so many great options when it comes to potato soup recipes. So, don't wait for the colder months—these soups will keep you warm and happy all year long!
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup simmers for hours so all the flavors can blend together perfectly. Don't forget the crispy bacon bits!
- Sweet Potato Soup is flavorful and, well, sweet! We love all the beans, smoky tomatoes, and warmth from a variety of tasty spices.
- Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup comes together super fast, and it's a full meal—perfect as lunch or dinner on busy days!
- Creamy Sausage Potato Soup is a twist on the classic, but with Italian flavor and quick prep, it'll soon be one of your favorites.
- Loaded Potato Soup has savory bacon, lots of cheddar cheese, and tangy sour cream for awesome flavor and hardly any effort.