Only 20 minutes to make this super yummy Old Fashioned Sloppy Joe Recipe. So easy and so good, this is a meal the whole family will love!
Why you'll love this recipe
Everyone loves this easy Sloppy Joes Recipe, even if you have a picky eater, they will gobble it up! This recipe is 100 times better than the canned sauce. It's so hearty and delicious and one of my favorite dinner ideas for busy weeknights!
✔️ Super simple, this is an easy weeknight meal.
✔️ Everyday ingredients and big flavors!
✔️ The best part is your whole family will be standing in line for seconds. It will quickly become part of your weekly mealtime rotation.
This easy meal is so versatile! You can have sandwiches, use it to make quesadillas, or serve over baked potatoes - you name it!
For the exact measurements for the best sloppy joe recipe, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. You'll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe!
- ground beef - though you can certainly substitute ground turkey or chicken
- red bell pepper - sub a green pepper, or yellow or orange.
- yellow onion
- Montreal Steak Seasoning - if you don't have any on hand, substitute with one teaspoon kosher salt, half teaspoon of black pepper and a clove of minced garlic.
- one cup ketchup - you can substitute with tomato juice or canned fire roasted tomatoes or BBQ sauce, but I really prefer that little bit of sweetness you get from the catsup.
- a little bit of brown sugar - that touch of sweetness makes the sauce!
- just a touch of yellow mustard to add a yummy tang!
- hamburger buns or crusty bread
This is an overview of the instructions for the Old Fashioned Sloppy Joe Recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, drain fat if desired.
- Add bell pepper, onion and Montreal steak seasoning. Sauté for five minutes until the onions are transparent and bell pepper is softened.
- Add the catsup, brown sugar & mustard, mix to combine and heat through.
- Pile the meat mixture onto hamburger buns and enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- This cast iron skillet is on my list. I love how it has a second handle to help you hold it. Nothing browns like cast iron, but it gets heavy!
- You'll need a good wooden spoon - this is a great set and very affordable.
- Brown ground meat well before adding the sauce ingredients.
- If you prefer spicy Sloppy Joes - add some hot sauce or Tabasco Sauce to the mixture as it simmers. It will add a nice balance of heat and sweet!
Pretty much, yes! But you don't need a can to make a great diy sloppy Joe seasoning. This simple recipe is 10 times better than what you get in a can.
This recipe is the perfect mix of seasoning and beef, but if you do decide to thicken it use an equal amount of cornstarch and cold water - about a teaspoon of each - to form a thin paste. Stir into the beef mixture and allow it to thicken.
It's so simple! The ingredients for the sauce are ketchup, brown sugar and yellow mustard.
Yes, you can make this in the crockpot. Just brown the ground beef and combine the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low 3-4 hours.
A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the meat mixture will give the Sloppy Joe Sandwiches a nice tang!
Tomato paste or tomato sauce can be substituted for the ketchup, but you'll need to balance the acidity with sugar to taste.
Refrigerate - allow to cool completely and store leftovers in an airtight container refrigerated for 3-4 days.
Freeze - Place leftovers in freezer containers. This recipe freezes well for up to three months.
Reheat - thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a skillet until hot.
More sloppy joe recipes
- If you love this recipe, then be sure to try Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole!
- Or make it a party with Hot Sloppy Joe Dip!
- Sloppy Joe Casserole is always a hit and such a great weeknight meal!
There are many easy recipes on the blog I think you'll enjoy!
- Both the Frito Pie Casserole and Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole are so good and easy to make!
- Super yummy Cowboy Casserole couldn't be any easier or more delicious! The whole family will line up for seconds!
- Boilermaker Tailgate Chili - this recipe is another great recipe perfect for watching the game. Serve it in a bowl, over grilled beef brats, or ladled over chips for nachos - yum!!!
- This recipe for Salisbury Steak with Onion Soup Mix is super easy to make as well and it's so good, serve it with mashed potatoes - delicious!
- Cheeseburger Soup - it's like your favorite burger in soup form. This prize winning soup recipe is guaranteed to be a huge hit!
- You'll love this recipe for Velveeta Chili Mac - it's cheesy and hearty and so simple to make!
- Taco Salad Bake is a super popular casserole - so easy to make, this family friendly casserole will have everyone digging in for seconds!
Of course you can enjoy the classic Sloppy Joes sandwich and that will make even your pickiest eaters happy!
Pile it high on nachos or French fries - wouldn't that be perfect for tailgating or watching the game at home? YUM!!!
It would be great over a baked potato, topped with a big dollop of sour cream and sliced green onions.
Quesadillas - topped with melty pepper jack cheese or provolone? Talk about delicious!
What can I serve with sandwiches besides chips? If you are wondering what foods go with Sloppy Joes here are some choices.
This easy sloppy joe recipe is great for tailgating - so let's get started with a couple yummy appetizers!
- Vegetarian Pizza Bombs - pizza dough filled with cheese and vegetables and baked until puffy and golden brown!
- Easy Quesadilla Dip - cheesy and sweet, this recipe is simple - all you need is a bag of chips for dippers.
Baked Beans would be another lovely side dish!
This make ahead icebox cake is perfect for a fantastic dessert. Better than Sex Cake serves a crowd and is best when made the day before!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
The BEST Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup catsup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain fat if desired.
- Add bell pepper, onion and montreal steak seasoning. Sauté for five minutes until the onions are transparent and bell pepper is softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients - catsup, brown sugar & mustard, mix to combine and heat through.
- Serve the sloppy Joe meat on hamburger buns with sweet or dill pickles.