Award Winning Bacon Mushroom Cheeseburger Soup
- 3-4 strips of bacon
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 4 cups peeled cubed potatoes*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning**
- 1 cups box beef broth 4
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Chop bacon into lardons & slowly sauté in a large stock pot to render fat. When crispy remove the bacon from pan & drain on a paper towel.
- Increase the heat to medium & to rendered fat add one pound of hamburger & sauté until brown. Remove from pan and drain most of the fat.
- To the soup pot add the onions & mushrooms, season with salt, black & red peppers and steak seasoning. Sauté for about 5 minutes until veggies just soften. Add the garlic & sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and beef broth & increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, cook until potatoes are just barely fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low & add the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with chopped dill pickle (yes, dill pickle!), crumbled bacon, tomato & lettuce or parsley (optional)
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
*I use russet potatoes as these contain more starch and will help thicken soup.
** My fav steak season is Montreal Steak Seasonings.