Best Clam Chowder Recipe is loaded with clams and bacon. It’s a creamy, hearty soup full of classic chowder flavors! Homemade clam chowder is easier to make than you think and this classic Boston Clam Chowder is a hearty delicious meal!
Best Clam Chowder Recipe
We have another great giveaway for you today with the Ultimate Boston Entertainment Package! There is so much to see and do for families visiting Boston. We have an amazing Boston Family Entertainment Package that will mean loads of family fun for one lucky winner! #ad #BostonGiveaway
Before we get started, if you’re here for the just for the giveaway, no hard feelings! Just scroll to the bottom, you can enter there – if you’d like to hear all about the BEST Clam Chowder Recipe, read do!
So if I’m giving away a Boston Entertainment Package, I offer up a Boston related recipe! So… what came to mind is Boston Creme Pie, Boston Baked Beans, Lobster Roll? Actually, that’s on my radar, but then I thought Boston Clam Chowder! YES! That’s it!
This is a homemade clam chowder I’ve made for years. The first time I made it was when times were tough there wasn’t a lot of food in the house. The cupboards were bare and I just had a few vegetables in the refrigerator.
After looking at everything I thought hmm…. I think I have everything to make clam chowder? And so I did. And it was good, really good!
Homemade Clam Chowder
What are the ingredients for Best Clam Chowder Recipe?
- chicken stock
- canned clams
- heavy cream
- russet potatoes
- chili powder, salt and pepper
Everyday ingredients, in fact, you probably have (almost) everything in your fridge or pantry. This is a great dinner idea for tonight!
What kind of potatoes are best in clam chowder?
Russet potatoes are the BEST choice for clam chowder. But Deb, do I have to peel them? Yup, you do. Believe me, no one hates peeling potatoes more than me! In this case, however a classic russet potato is the best choice.
As the potatoes cook, they release starch and help thicken the chowder. It’s a hearty potato with a meaty texture and perfect for this soup!
Is it best to use canned or fresh clams?
It would be great to use fresh, but I want you to make this often so now is the time to utilize your pantry. Canned clams are a great choice and are much more affordable than fresh and a ton less work!
Choose whole canned clams rather than minced and roughly chop them yourself. Canned minced clams are so tiny and they don’t have a whole lot of flavor.
Adding the clams at the end will ensure they stay tender.
Clam Chowder Recipe
What is the difference between Boston and New England Clam Chowder?
Similar in flavor, the main difference different between Boston and New England Chowder is the broth is thicker and creamier in Boston Clam Chowder. The New England version is more of a thin clear broth. And Manhattan Chowder? That’s a tomato based broth.
So many soups, so little time! 😋
If you want to learn how to make the BEST Homemade Soups, Stews and Chowders read Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide for all of my tips and tricks!
More hearty chowders to enjoy!
How to make the BEST Clam Chowder Recipe
- Dice the bacon and cook until crispy, remove and drain on paper towels
- Dice the vegetables, drain the clams reserving juice.
- Add the butter to the pot, then add the onion, celery and carrots sauté over medium heat until softened
- Stir in the flour and season. Cook out the flour.
- Add the chicken stock and clam juice.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cream and clams. Bring to a boil and taste and adjust the seasonings.
Don’t forget before you go, head down to the bottom and be sure to enter this amazing giveaway!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Wooden Spoon – I have a dozen of these! Inexpensive a wooden spoon is my go-to choice in the kitchen.
Best Clam Chowder Recipe
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 6 strips bacon thick-cut
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 10 oz. canned clams whole clams, juice reserved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Dice the bacon and render the fat In a large stockpot. Cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, remove from pan Drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Dice the onion and celery. Peel and dice the carrots and potatoes.
- Drain the clams, reserving the juice. Roughly chop the clams, set aside
- In the same pot used to cook the bacon, drain off a bit of the oil. Add the butter then add onion, celery and carrots to the pot and saute over medium heat until softened about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour & mix it well with the softened veggies, season with salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder - cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chicken stock and the juice from the 2 cans of chopped clams, and potatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stirring often, cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the cream, clams and bacon. Heat thru and taste the seasonings. Depending on how salty the bacon is you may need to add an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Today’s giveaway has been brought to you by the following sponsors:
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center Boston Bricktacular
- Blue Man Group Boston
- American Girl LIVE! at the Boch Center Shubert Theatre
- Archery Games Boston
- South Street Diner
This holiday season, consider experiences such as tickets to a show, museum passes or a gift certificate for other fun family entertainment. Experience gifts are a great way to help families create lasting memories.
Ultimate Boston Family Entertainment Package
One lucky winner is going to receive the Ultimate Boston Entertainment Giveaway Package that includes:
- (4) tickets to Bricktacular at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Boston (every weekend in Dec.)
- (4) tickets to Blue Man Group (to be used after Jan. 1st)
- (4) tickets to American Girl LIVE, a new musical featuring the iconic American Girl characters playing at the Boch Center, Feb. 22-24 (for Friday, Feb. 22 at 7:00 pm)
- (4) tickets to Archery Games Boston (can be used anytime)
- Dinner for 4 at Best Burger Bar (can be used anytime)
Boston Entertainment Giveaway
Official Rules and Conditions: One winner will receive the Ultimate Boston Entertainment Prize Package. No cash value. Open worldwide to adults 18+. One (1) winner will be chosen. Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. Prize will be delivered electronically. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Amazon, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends 12/16/2018. Enter using the widget below.