Best Clam Chowder Recipe is loaded with clams and bacon. It's a creamy, hearty soup full of classic chowder flavors! Homemade clam chowder is easier to make than you think and this classic Boston Clam Chowder is a hearty delicious meal!
Best Canned Clam Chowder
When I say Boston, what do you think of? Boston Creme Pie, Boston Baked Beans or a Lobster Roll? Mmmm.... all delicious, yes! But what comes to mind for me is Boston Clam Chowder!
This is a homemade clam chowder I've made for years. The first time I made it was when times were tough there wasn't a lot of food in the house. The cupboards were bare and I just had a few vegetables in the refrigerator.
After looking at everything I thought hmm.... I think I have everything to make clam chowder? And so I did. And it was good, really good!
Boston Clam Chowder Recipe
What are the ingredients for Best Clam Chowder Recipe?
- bacon - to add richness, salty delicious and bacon... which makes everything better!
- celery, onion, carrot - for crunch and freshness.
- flour - thickens the chowder
- butter - works in conjunction with the flour to thicken and add creaminess, also adding richness.
- chicken stock - though I've made this with clam juice or stock I think it makes it too "fishy" - I bet you'll love this combination!
- canned clams - I recommend whole canned clams (not chopped!), save the juice.
- heavy cream - for creamy richness.
- russet potatoes - the perfect hearty potato for this soup!
- chili powder, salt
andpepper - to perfectly flavor this chowder!
Everyday ingredients, in fact, you probably have (almost) everything in your fridge or pantry. This is a great dinner idea for tonight!
What kind of potatoes are best in clam chowder?
Russet potatoes are the BEST choice for clam chowder. But you say "Deb... do I have to peel them?"
As the potatoes cook, they release starch and help thicken the chowder. It's a hearty potato with a meaty texture and perfect for this soup!
Is it best to use canned or fresh clams?
It would be great to use fresh, but I want you to make this often so now is the time to utilize your pantry. Canned clams are a great choice and are much more affordable than fresh and a ton less work!
Choose whole canned clams rather than minced and roughly chop them yourself. Canned minced clams are so tiny and they don't have a whole lot of flavor.
Adding the clams at the end will ensure they stay tender.
Clam Chowder Recipe
What is the difference between Boston and New England Clam Chowder?
Similar in flavor, the main difference different between Boston and New England Chowder is the broth is thicker and creamier in Boston Clam Chowder.
The New England version is more of a thin clear broth. And Manhattan Chowder? That's a tomato-based broth.
And then there's the San Francisco
So many soups, so little time! 😋
If you want to learn how to make the BEST Homemade Soups, Stews and Chowders read Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide for all of my tips and tricks!
More hearty chowders to enjoy!
How to make the BEST Clam Chowder Recipe
- Dice the bacon and cook until crispy, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Dice the vegetables, drain the clams reserving juice.
- Add the butter to the pot, then add the onion, celery and carrots sauté over medium heat until softened.
- Stir in the flour and season. Cookout the flour.
- Add the chicken stock and clam juice.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cream and clams. Bring to a boil and taste and adjust the seasonings.
What's good with
My favorite thing to serve with a thick, rich, creamy chowder is a salad. It compliments the richness of the meal and creates a nice balance. Here's are some of my favorites from the blog!
Both light and delicious, these would be great choices! And if you're not serving the chowder in a bread bowl (which is always a great choice!) you'll definitely want some rolls or cornbread.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Wooden Spoon - I have a dozen of these!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Boston Clam Chowder
Best Clam Chowder Recipe
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 6 strips bacon thick-cut
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 10 oz. canned clams whole clams, juice reserved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Dice the bacon and render the fat In a large stockpot. Cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, remove from pan Drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Dice the onion and celery. Peel and dice the carrots and potatoes.
- Drain the clams, reserving the juice. Roughly chop the clams, set aside
- In the same pot used to cook the bacon, drain off a bit of the oil. Add the butter then add onion, celery and carrots to the pot and saute over medium heat until softened about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour & mix it well with the softened veggies, season with salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder - cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chicken stock and the juice from the 2 cans of chopped clams, and potatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stirring often, cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the cream, clams and bacon. Heat thru and taste the seasonings. Depending on how salty the bacon is you may need to add an additional ½ teaspoon of salt.