Vegetarian Corn Chowder that is spicy, creamy, rich and hearty! Fresh crunchy corn on the cob, spicy chipotle peppers
Vegetarian Potato Corn Chowder
Corn Chowder Recipe
It’s a tragic thing, I’ve developed a severe allergy to corn, well not the corn itself but the husk. Anyone else have that issue?
Now don’t get me wrong, it really hasn’t changed much except that I bring piles of corn home and my wonderful husband is nice enough to husk it for me. As long as I don’t touch the husk I’m fine.
But it really hasn’t stopped me because there are so many delicious meals to be made with corn like Turkey Corn Chowder, Instant Pot Corn on the Cob and Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad! I know you understand!
You’re going to love this chowder! It’s full of vegetables, it’s bright, crunchy and filling and one of our favorite summertime soups! Our local corn grown thru the AG department at Fresno State is world
But don’t be sad, if you’re not nearby, stop by a local farmers market or stand. Sweet corn is readily available now that the end of summer is near and I know there’s some great corn with your name on it!
Grocery List for Soup Recipe
- corn on the cob
- yellow onion
- russet potatoes
- chipotle pepper
- vegetable stock
- spices – salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, yellow curry powder, coriander and turmeric
There’s lots of spices in this soup and you’re going to love the combination of flavors. It’s easy and flavorful. Super savory and easy to make. The hardest part? Eating only one bowl! It’s kind of like that old chip commercial daring you to eat just one!
What makes it a chowder?
This Vegetarian Corn Chowder is thick and hearty. Chowders are rich and creamy and often contain potatoes and onions. For more delicious bites about Homemade Soup – click here for my Complete Soup Guide.
How do you thicken up soup?
Many chowders are thickened by flour, cornstarch or other thickeners. This chowder is thickened by simply blending a portion of the soup.
The potatoes and corn blend perfectly to thicken this soup!
Vegetarian Summer Corn Chowder
A spot of heavy creamy takes this right over the top making it creamy and delicious![/caption]
What gives this chowder it’s spicy warmth?
Chipotle pepper. Don’t worry, it’s just one. It adds warmth and body to the chowder without adding overbearing heat. It’s absolutely delicious, hearty and an AMAZING chowder!!
No chipotle peppers? Use red pepper flakes to give this soup a bit of zing!
How to make Vegetarian Corn Chowder
- Shuck corn and remove the silk, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the corn kernels.
- Peel and dice the onion, carrot
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat, add the olive oil and vegetables
..Season well and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and sauté.
- Add the stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove two cups of the soup and blend until creamy.
- Add it back into the stockpot.
- Add the cream and stir. Garnish with reserved corn and cilantro.
My friend Nicole sent me a picture of a meal she enjoyed at a local restaurant. A beautiful bowl of corn chowder finished off with a drizzle of truffle oil. I have to say, that had me drooling! 😀
Next time I make it, I will add a drizzle of truffle oil too!
So how about it, have I talked you into trying this soup?
Want all of my soup making tips and tricks? Be sure to click here! Also if you have a soup lover in your life, here is a gift guide to make soup making more fun!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- extra large bamboo cutting board – perfect for cutting veggies!
- soup and side bowls – I have two sets of these bowls and we love them!
- Farberware Glide Cookware Set – easy to use, these are an affordable set and I’ve even given this set as a gift!
Be sure to leave a comment below and tell me what you think of this recipe, I’d love a five star rating!! AND if you make it, be sure to tag me @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover
Vegetarian Corn Chowder
Vegetarian Corn Chowder
- 4 ears of corn shucked, silk removed and sliced off the cob
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper diced, or substitute with 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cilantro minced (optional)
- Shuck the corn and remove silk. Carefully slice the kernels off the cob. Reserving about 1/2 cup of the kernels and set them aside.
- Peel and dice the onion, carrot and potatoes. Be sure to cut the potatoes in a small dice, about 1/2″ x 1/2″. Mince the chipotle pepper.
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions, corn, celery and potatoes. Season with all of the spices; salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, curry powder, coriander, turmeric and chipotle. Sauté for 5 minutes until the onions just begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, remove about 1/3 of the soup and add to a blender. Blend until creamy and pour back into the stock pot.
- Add the cream and stir together well.
- Garnish with reserved corn and minced cilantro.