Vegetarian Corn Chowder that is spicy, creamy, rich and hearty! Fresh crunchy corn on the cob, spicy chipotle peppers
Next time try this yummy Potato Soup Recipe, it's one of our favorites!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's full of vegetables.
✔️ It's bright, crunchy and filling!
✔️ Super savory, completely delicious and it's easy to make!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- corn on the cob
- yellow onion
- russet potatoes
- chipotle pepper
- vegetable stock
- spices - salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, yellow curry powder, coriander and turmeric
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Shuck corn and remove the silk, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Set aside ½ cup of the corn kernels.
- Peel and dice the onion, carrot
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat, add the olive oil and vegetables
..Season well and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and sauté.
- Add the stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove two cups of the soup and blend until creamy.
- Add it back into the stockpot.
- Add the cream and stir. Garnish with reserved corn and cilantro.
The hardest of this soup? Eating only one bowl, it's that good!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Chipotle pepper. Don't worry, it's just one. It adds warmth and body to the chowder without adding overbearing heat. You can also use red pepper flakes.
Many chowders are thickened by flour, cornstarch or other thickeners. This chowder is thickened by simply blending a portion of the soup.
Things to know
Next time I make it, I will add a drizzle of truffle oil too!
Refrigerate - Allow to cool completely and place leftovers in an air tight container. Refrigerate 3-4 days.
Freezer - I do not recommend freezing this recipe. The potatoes get mushy and it's just not as tasty. It's best enjoyed fresh.
Reheat - You can reheat the corn chowder on the stovetop or in the microwave, either will work!
This Vegetarian Corn Chowder is thick and hearty. Chowders are rich and creamy and often contain potatoes and onions. For more delicious bites about Homemade Soup - click here for my Complete Soup Guide.
- Serve these amazing Cuban Sliders with a bowl of soup, what a great combination!
- Keep it light with this yummy chopped salad recipe.
- Cheesy Pizza Hut Breadsticks make the perfect side and a great little dip into the soup!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Vegetarian Corn Chowder
- 4 ears of corn shucked, silk removed and sliced off the cob
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 cups russet potatoes peeled and diced (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper diced, or substitute with ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon cilantro minced (optional)
- Shuck the corn and remove silk. Carefully slice the kernels off the cob. Reserving about ½ cup of the kernels and set them aside.
- Peel and dice the onion, carrot and potatoes. Be sure to cut the potatoes in a small dice, about ½" x ½". Mince the chipotle pepper.
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions, corn, celery and potatoes. Season with all of the spices; salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, curry powder, coriander, turmeric and chipotle. Sauté for 5 minutes until the onions just begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and sauté until the garlic becomes fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the vegetable stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, remove about ⅓ of the soup and add to a blender. Blend until creamy and pour back into the stock pot.
- Add the cream and stir together well.
- Garnish with reserved corn and minced cilantro.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
You're going to love this chowder!, it's bright, crunchy and filling and one of our favorite summertime soups! Our local corn grown thru the AG department at Fresno State is world
But don't be sad, if you're not nearby, stop by a local farmers market or stand. Sweet corn is readily available now that the end of summer is near and I know there's some great corn with your name on it!
I've developed a severe allergy to corn, well not the corn itself but the husk. Anyone else have that issue?
Now don't get me wrong, it really hasn't changed much except that I bring piles of corn home and my wonderful husband is nice enough to husk it for me. As long as I don't touch the husk I'm fine.
First published August 18, 2018 - last updated May 18th, 2022.