Chop Salad with Light Vinaigrette
Are you a salad person? Big fan of salads here – often times for dinner it’s just a big bowl of salad and tonight will be no different! How about a chop salad, have you ever had one? The first time I had a chop salad was many, many years ago in Minneapolis at the Palomino.
At the time it was a pretty swanky restaurant (I believe it’s closed now in Minneapolis though they have many locations across the country) and I just thought it was the yummiest salad – wasn’t cheap, but very delicious, full of great crunch!
The other day I was watching a re-run of the Pioneer Woman on Food Network – she was making chop salads for her girls. She had both knives chopping away – salad flying everywhere – the kids loved it, so much fun! Now I don’t have that kind of mad knife skills, nor that big of a cutting board!
And if you don’t have those skills either, there are some great tool shortcuts to get you there. Like this great bowl/chopper set. My buddy Nicole SWEARS by it – she loves salads and her favorite way to enjoy them is a chopped salad – tools like this make it a TON easier! (Her words, not mine!). Anyway, there are a ton of opinions of similar products if you are interested, just head over and check it out on Amazon.
Want an inexpensive option? How about Subway, have you tried their chop salad? The veggie salad it’s just $6 bucks! Amazing price, fast-food salad – they have this fancy knife thing (like I showed you above) that cuts everything up really fast. Great value and delicious light meal.
Why not make your own chop salad and this vinaigrette – quick & easy – incredibly light & flavorful!
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pour all of the ingredients except the olive oil into a blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds.
- With blender on low, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Keeps in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 8-10 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cucumber seeded
- 1 carrot
- 1 rib of celery
- 4-5 mushrooms
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- Very simple - chop all of the ingredients! Take your time - chop everything small, top with Light Vinaigrette or your favorite salad dressing.
- Additional ingredients - tomatoes, broccoli, sunflower seeds, peanuts or cashews, olives, hard boiled eggs, peas, kidney beans, edamame - use your favorite vegetables and lighten up your meal!