Best Crockpot Beef Stew starts with beef slowly simmered in the slow cooker until the beef is spoon tender. Stuffed with carrots and potatoes this is an easy meal that tastes AMAZING! Let your crockpot do the work while you do take all the credit!
BEST Crockpot Beef Stew
Guess what day it is? Today is a BIG DAY, it Freaky Friday, woot-woot!!! You remember what that’s all about, right? That when a bunch of Bloggers all get together for a good ole’ fashioned blog hop!
Michaela from An Affair from the Heart arranges everything (pretty sure it’s like herding cats too, not an easy task!) and assigns each of us a blog. We keep our assignment a secret until the reveal and that is today!
This time I am so excited because Kylee Cooks was the blog I was given. I have had the MOST fun trying to decide just what to make!
I had my eye on her recipe for Cajun seasoning. I know I could make so many delicious recipes with it that you will love. Then I thought how about the roasted squash risotto recipe … it’s AMAZING! I know this…. because I did my homework, it’s delicious!
Ultimately I decided to share this recipe for Easy Crockpot Beef Stew with Dumplings. Beef Stew + Dumplings = ❤️ don’t you agree?
I’ve spent a lot of time on her blog lately and I encourage you to also! Kylee’s recipes are tried and true. Affordable recipes your family will love that are delicious! Beautiful food, yummy recipes – I know you’ll love her blog as much as I do!
Be sure and stop by, ok?
As I mentioned earlier, I decided to make Beef Stew with Dumplings. Everyone really enjoyed my beef noodle soup recipe and since my slow cooker roast beef is blowing it up right now, I know you’ll like this!
It’s the best of both worlds!! 😋
Grocery List for Best Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe
- stewing beef
- baby carrots
- canned diced tomatoes
- red wine
- mustard powder
- biscuit mix
Beef Stew with Dumplings
What kind of beef should I use for the stew meat?
You have many choices at the market for stew meat. Yes, you can use stew meat that is already diced, but I suggest you stay away from that. Buy a roast and diced the meat yourself. You’ll get better quality meat for less money. My recommendations for stew meat are:
- beef chuck
- fatty brisket
- round steak
My number one choice is definitely beef chuck. It has good marbling which gives the meat great flavor.
Why is my beef stew meat tough?
It hasn’t cooked long enough! Beef stew meat is tough to begin with. It needs to be cooked low and slow. The slow cooker is the perfect way to tenderize beef stew meat.
How long does it take to cook stew meat in a crockpot?
You’ll cook this stew on high for 4-5 hours on low 8-10 hours. Let the crockpot do the work for you!
What is the secret for light and fluffy dumplings?
Guys, you know I call myself the soup queen – having said that I learned a very important new soup tip from Kylee’s blog!
- The secret to making light and fluffy dumplings? When you add the dumplings to the top of the stew, gently settle the dough on top of the beef and veggies, rather than drop them in the liquid. When they settle into the broth they become heavy because they are laden with liquid. They will also fall apart.
- By gently adding the dough on top of the stew they immediately begin to steam. This results in light fluffy dumplings!
Remember – dumplings will triple in size as they cook! Use small spoonfuls as you spoon the dough on top of the stew.
BEST Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe
What do you serve with Beef Stew?
This stew has everything you need, so I serve it simply with a great salad – Garden Salad Recipe with Creamy Vinaigrette or Asparagus Salad Recipes and if you’re little piglets like Dan and I, serve with this Easy Dinner Rolls Recipe! YUM!!!
How do you make Homemade Slow Cooker Beef Stew?
- Add all of the beef stew ingredients in the slow cooker except the flour and water.
- Whisk together the flour and water and stir into the stew.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hour.
- Add the dumpling ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Stir in milk just until it is just combined.
- Drop dough in small spoonfuls on top of the stew.
- Switch the heat setting to high, and cover.
- When you can insert a toothpick cleanly thru the dumplings they are done.
More of my favorite Slow Cooker Recipes!
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Healthy Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken Bowl
- Slow Cooker Kauai Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Baked Beans #SlowCooker
Easy Crockpot Beef Stew
I hope you really love this recipe for the BEST Crockpot Beef Stew, I know we did! I was a blast hopping around Kylee’s blog and finding new recipes to try!
Thanks again for checking out this recipe and I hope you have a chance to hop over to the other blogs for all of the great recipes we are sharing! I know you’ll find a new recipe you’ll love and want to put on your dinner rotation!
Take a look at all of our Winter Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Coconut Mug Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Creamy Gorgonzola Pasta with Steak
- Bowl Me Over – Best Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Hostess at Heart – Chili Con Carne
- Kylee Cooks – Banana Cream Parfait
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Chicken Bacon Penne Alfredo Casserole
- Lemon Blossoms – Valentine’s Day Dessert Nachos
- Mildly Meandering – Tiramisu Latte
- House of Nash Eats – Philly Cheese Steak Dip
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Chicken Lime Soup
- Take Two Tapas – Taco Tater Tots
- The Foodie Affair – Slow Cooked Meatballs
- The Speckled Palate – Boozy Bacon Pretzel Peanut Butter Bars
- West Via Midwest – Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Who Needs a Cape? – Cajun Chicken Meatballs in Cajun Cream Sauce
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in a variety of affiliate programs, including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
I recommend using a small (tiny!) ice cream scoop for the dumplings.
BEST Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe
Best Crockpot Beef Stew starts with beef slowly simmered in the slow cooker until the beef is spoon tender. Stuffed with carrots and potatoes this is an easy meal that tastes AMAZING! Let your crockpot do the work for you!
- 2 lbs. stewing beef cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 onions diced
- 1 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 potatoes diced
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp flour
- Homemade Dumplings
- 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 cup milk
Add the beef stew ingredients in the slow cooker - beef, carrots, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, red wine, salt, thyme, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Whisk together the flour and water until well blended, and stir into the stew.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours (or High for 4-5 hrs).
When the stew is done, it's time to add the dumplings. In a medium bowl, mix baking mix, thyme and sage. Stir in milk just until it is just combined.
Drop dough in small spoonfuls (use a small cookie scoop) on top of the stew.
Switch the heat setting to high, and cover.
Cook until a toothpick inserted in the dumplings comes out clean (about 20 minutes).