Wanna guess what I made today? Alphabet Soup!
Well, you probably already guessed with the picture above! The first thing I did was pick thru the letters and spell out Bowl Me Over. What can I say? I’m a kid at heart!
My hubby and I went to the grocery store together last week That doesn’t happen very often as he’s such a busy guy – but we did. I was hunting peppers to make chili sauce with and as we were going down the isles, I spied (with my little eye) a bag of Alphabet Pasta.
I think I squealed! Of course he already knows I’m a little nutty, so he smiled and indulged me – it was only .29 cents, so what the heck! I decided it was time for Alphabet Soup – great memory from when you’re a kid and it just sounded so tasty!
Anyway, the soup was really easy to make. I started with an onion, couple of carrots and two stalks of celery. Diced them up and sauteed them in a stock pot. When they just started to soften up, I added the beef and garlic.
After they browned up a bit, added in some tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes, beef broth and spices.
I simmered all of this on the stove for about an hour. I brought it up to a boil and added in the pasta and continued boiling it until the pasta was just done.
Honestly, I don’t think this could have gotten much easier. Alphabet Soup is such a simple and fun soup! Great for kids and great for kids at heart! Check out the retro thermos I found. The old Campbell’s Soup Thermos – isn’t that cool? It was my husband’s. We found it when we moved. It’s pretty old and I think it’s fun!
I picked up the pasta at Food Max, but if you can’t find it, don’t worry – just use a small pasta (though the alphabets are fun!)
Easy Alphabet Soup Recipe
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 carrots peeled and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery peeled and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 6 oz sirloin steak thinly sliced and cubed into small 1/2 inch cubes.
- 1 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup alphabet pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large dutch oven, or stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and saute about three minutes, just until the vegetables begins to soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef, garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to the stock pot along with the vegetables and continue to cook until the beef is lightly brown.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and continue simmer for one hour.
- After one hour - taste and adjust the seasonings. You may need to add just a touch more salt.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil and add the alphabet pasta. Stir upon adding so the pasta doesn't clump. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally until the pasta is al dente according to package directions, usually about 6-7 minutes. Serve immediately with some delicious crusty bread.