With a rich tomato base and beefy filling this Alphabet Soup Recipe will take you right back to childhood! If you loved this classic soup as a kid you can now make this easy meal at home and it will taste 100 times better than the canned stuff, I promise!
After you try this recipe, I think Beef Noodle Soup should be next on the menu, enjoy!
Why you'll love this recipe
Because playing with your food is always fun! I dare you to enjoy make this recipe and NOT take the letters of the alphabet to spell out your name! After all - what is more fun than to play with your food?!!
It's easy to make! Alphabet Soup is simple to make, family favorite, fun meal. It was a favorite growing up and this homemade version is even better!
If you enjoy a classic can of Campbell's Soup, you'll love this simple alphabet soup recipe even more!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- sirloin steak - great flavor, tender and affordable.
- alphabet pasta noodles - if you can't find alphabet you can certainly substitute with small pasta shape like ditalini or orzo pasta.
- onions, carrots, celery, garlic - loads of veggies make it especially tasty.
- fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef or vegetable broth or chicken broth - it's the perfect amount of liquids for a rich tomato flavor.
- salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes - all go-to pantry ingredients.
This is an overview of the instructions and cooking time. For the complete directions for homemade alphabet soup just scroll down to the bottom!
- Dice the onions, carrots and celery. Mince the garlic, cube the beef.
- In a large soup pot sauté the beef over medium-high heat with seasoning until lightly browned. Add the vegetables and continue cooking for just a couple minutes.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, sauce and stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for an hour or until the beef is tender.
- Bring back to a boil, add the uncooked alphabet pasta and cook until al dente.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- There's a few things you'll need for this recipe and of course the FIRST thing is Alphabet pasta for soup! If you can't find it at your local grocery store, it's available on Amazon.
- Of course a nice soup pot, this one is gorgeous, it's stainless steel with a glass lid. So pretty!
- You'll also need a sharp knife (this is the two piece knife set I use) to cut the veggies and a wooden spoon.
When I was doing my research, I assumed it was made by Campbell's. Actually Knorr created Alphabet Soup first!
At the grocery store, the first place I would logically look for this would be the pasta aisle. But most times I find alphabet pasta with the Mexican Food near the dried beans. Of course you can also order it online and I've included a link (above).
Yes! If you end up with leftovers (which we never do because we eat it all!) this soup freezes great. Sealed well this Alphabet Soup Recipe will last up to three month in the freezer.
Things to know
Frozen vegetables are a great shortcut for this recipe. Don't be afraid to cut your prep time and utilize those!
Topping the soup with a freshly shredded parmesan cheese makes it even yummier!
This soup is super thick. If you'd prefer a thinner soup, add additional beef broth.
- Substitute diced turkey or chicken for the beef or even ground beef.
- Use frozen mixed vegetables instead of fresh vegetables and pack the soup with your favorites.
- Really any fresh veggies will work in this soup - green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. just give them a small dice.
- Can't find alphabet noodles? I'm so sorry! You can substitute with any small shaped pasta like orzo or ditalini. BUT you won't be able to spell your name and what fun is that? 🙃
- Refrigerator - Alphabet Noodle Soup will store three to four days in the refrigerator. This is a great soup to make ahead of time as it tastes even better on day two!
- Freezer - It freezes great and will last up to three months frozen.
- Reheat the alphabet soup by first thawing it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
There are so many wonderful soup recipes to choose from, here are some of my favorites!
- Tomato Bisque Soup Recipe - rich and delicious, this is a satisfying meal!
- Chicken Tortellini Soup - Only 30 minutes to make with simmered all day flavor, delicious!
- Vegetable Orzo Soup is another homemade soup recipe that's filled with vegetables. It's amazing!
If you'd like all my tips and tricks to learn to make the BEST homemade soup click here.
What I've learned
Where did the legend behind alphabet soup come from? It's Campbell’s Alphabet Soup, right?
Actually it's not. Here's what I have learned...
Urban legend states a noodle factory had an accident when making pasta. Instead of coming out as elbow pasta, it looked like the letter C. The factory was inspired and thought alphabet style pasta would be a big hit and it was! This is a fun way to enjoy a great meal!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Homemade Alphabet Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Alphabet Soup Pasta
- 6 oz sirloin steak small ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup alphabet pasta
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 8 oz tomato sauce
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes just a pinch!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- In a large dutch oven, or stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef and season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Saute until the beef is lightly browned.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and saute about three minutes, just until the vegetables begins to soften.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover loosely and simmer for one hour.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil and add the alphabet pasta. Stir when adding the pasta so it doesn't clump.
- Continue to boil, stirring often. Cook just the pasta is al dente (according to package directions).
Tips to cook Alphabet Soup RecipeStir the pasta while it's cooking.
- That will ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Additionally, stirring the pasta will release the starch and help thicken the soup.