Made with a Devil’s Food Cake mix. Doll’d up with caramel sauce, topped with Cool Whip, chocolate and crushed candy bar bits, this cake is seriously over the top! And THAT’s why it’s called the best Better than Sex Cake Recipe! 😋
Dan (the most experienced food taste tester ever!) totally agrees! I know when he goes back for thirds… I definitely have a winner!
And yes he totally went into a food coma after eating three pieces BUT he said it was worth it. Let me tell you…. you NEED this cake in your life!
Deb… you’re saying… seriously now… Better Than Sex Cake Recipe? Yup! You know I like my over-the-top chocolatey desserts and this one takes the cake – pun intended!! 😋
For the cake you will need:
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix – your favorite brand.
- milk or half and half
For the topping you’ll need:
- chocolate sauce and caramel sauce – you want the drizzly kind!
- sweetened condensed milk – one whole can
- cool whip – yes, I used sugar free. Kinda seems crazy but it worked just fine. Regular works well too.
- Heath bars – 3-4 candy bars, if you like super crunchy texture, use four bars.
- Mix the cake mix with butter and milk.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Pour the batter into the pan, bake as directed.
- When it’s done baking, immediately poke holes all over the cake.
- While it’s still warm, pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake.
- Next top with caramel sauce and refrigerate.
- Chop the candy bars into small bits.
- Remove from the refrigerator, top with Cool Whip, drizzle with chocolate and remaining caramel.
- Sprinkle with candy bits!
This cake is perfect for a potluck and it’s best when made ahead!
I cut it into squares and we feasted with a slice every night. Usually Dan had two pieces. YUM!!!
Make a better box cake mix
As you may (may not?!) know, I do a lot of volunteer baking for Cake4Kids.org making birthday cakes for foster children. I’ve learned how to take an ordinary cake mix and take it to the next level.
By upping the ingredients for the box mix!
Substitute butter for oil, milk for water and add an extra egg!
This makes the cake more moist, decadent and delicious. Like a fancy bakery made it – but you baked it at home!
Kid you not, it makes all the difference in the world!
Cool Whip…. yes, you can certainly whip your own cream, but honestly cool whip is perfect and it tastes great!
It’s a cake that you poke holes in after baking, then it’s filled with an amazing pudding. They are easy to make and delicious! If you like chocolate, you’ll love this!
You can use the end of a wooden spoon or a small dowel. Whatever you use, it should be about the size of a pencil. If you have kids, they will love to help you with this part!
Use a 9×13 baking dish, either glass or metal is fine!
With all of the amazing chocolate and caramel pudding mixture, this cake needs to be refrigerated and is best served cold.
We had it in the refrigerator for 5 days before slicing it into squares and freezing it. Wrap the slices individually and freeze. They will store for at
Absolutely! It will be best if you slice it first prior to freezing. W
More Poke Cake Recipes
- Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake – Just like the fancy eclair, but in poke cake form. Topped with a ganache chocolate glaze this cake is dreamy!
- Strawberry Jello Cake – an old fashioned favorite is a real crowd pleaser!
- Coconut Pudding Poke Cake – yellow cake with coconut pudding, whipped cream and topped with toasted coconut, wow!!!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links, however, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Baking Must Have’s for My Kitchen!
AideStand Mixer (orange of course!)
- Pyrex 4-Piece Glass Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons – I love the shape of these because they fit into spice jars
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Better Than Sex Cake
- 1 Devil's Food Cake Mix ***I used Pillsbury however you can use any box mix, see note below.
- 1 cup milk or half 'n half
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup caramel sauce divided
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce
- 3 Heath candy bars use anywhere from 2-4
- 8 oz whipped topping I used cool whip – don't even ask why it's sugar free, LOL!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Start with the box mix, add the butter and milk, mix to combine.
- Add the eggs, one in a time – mixing between each addition.
- Remove from the oven and while it's warm, using the end of a wooden spoon poke holes all over the cake.
- Bake as directed on the bot, 28-32 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, immediately poke holes all of the cake. I used the end of a wooden spoon.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk all over the cake.
- Next pour three fourths of the caramel sauce all over the cake.
- Allow to cool on the counter for an hour, then refrigerate for two hours.
- While it's chilling, chop the candy bars into small bits.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator, top with Cool Whip, drizzle with chocolate and remaining caramel.
- Sprinkle with candy bits!
- Serve and seriously enjoy! Keep refrigerated.