This is an Easy Taco Soup Recipe; a little spicy and delicious, this soup that’s made with pantry staples! If you can open a can – you can make this fabulous soup! This is the BEST soup to make on Sunday and enjoy during the week! This post has been updated from May 2016 to improve the reader experience.
Easy Taco Soup
This is a recipe everyone must have handy, because if you can brown ground beef and use your can opener …..you can make this soup! I love this recipe because it is truly that easy and that good!
This is my Mom’s recipe, and she’s been making it for years. It’s a recipe I make probably once a month because it’s easy, good and pretty good for you! That’s the trifecta in my opinion!
It freezes great and tastes even better on day two! I’ve tweaked it a bit by adding diced onions and hominy, but you can sub green beans if you’re not a fan of hominy.
Grocery List for Easy Taco Soup
- ground beef
- sliced olives
- kidney beans
- pinto beans
- hominy and/or green beans
- chopped jalapenos
- taco seasoning
- fire roasted tomatoes
What kind of beans go in taco soup?
Black Beans, kidney beans and pinto beans would be my first choice, however, if all I had in the pantry was cannellini beans, I’d use those! This is a great pantry staple meal!
Easy Recipe for Taco Soup
Can you make Taco Soup in the Crock Pot?
Absolutely! Just brown the meat first. Then add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to combine, add the lid and set the temperature to low and simmer for eight hours.
Taco Soup Recipe
Steps to make Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- Brown ground beef.
- Add the chopped onion and taco seasoning packet and saute.
- Open the cans – DO NOT drain.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients in with the taco meat and onions.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stir well. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for an hour – serve and enjoy!
Optional Garnishes for Taco Soup
If desired, serve this soup garnished with;
- chopped tomatoes
- Monterey jack or cojita cheese
- sour cream
But seriously, this soup can stand on its own without any garnish – it’s just delicious!
Leftover soup? No problem – here’s what you make on day two!
- Don’t forget this soup freezes great, so freeze a quart for later. Then on day two….
- Easy Nachos! Just drain the excess liquid and top your favorite chips, add some cheese and toss it into the oven to get the cheese all melty.
- Top off a baked potato.
- Delicious on a big salad
Want all my tips and tricks for making the BEST soups and stews? Click here for Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide
More delicious easy soup recipes to enjoy!
- Creamy Corn Chowder
- Easy Potato Soup
- Navy Bean Soup with Ham
- Chicken Rice Soup
- 30 Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Best Minestrone Soup Recipe
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Ladle – this one is on my wishlist because it’s so whimsical! Plus it comes in a variety of colors and makes eating a great soup that much more fun!
Snap a picture of this tasty soup and be sure to tag me at #bowlmeover or on Instagram with @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover. You know what I always say… Soup is good food! Ooh! Also, when you have a quick moment, be sure and comment below with a five star rating. I know you’ll love this meal!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can sliced olives
- 1 14.5 oz can kidney beans
- 1 14.5 oz can pinto beans
- 1 14.5 oz hominy don't like hominy? substitute a can of green beans
- 1 14.5 oz can corn
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapeños chopped *
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 14 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- Brown hamburger meat and drain well. Add the chopped onion and taco seasoning packet. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Open all of the cans - do not drain - and dump everything (juice and all!) in with the taco meat. Increase the heat to high and bring everything to a boil, stir well. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally. Simmer for one hour covered. Serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream & tortilla chips.
- **This is also a great crock pot recipe. If you choose to use the slow cooker, just brown the meat and pour it directly in the slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients - stir to combine, cover & cook on low for 4 hours.