Trying to decide what to serve alongside a delicious taco soup? You're in luck! There are so many fantastic side dishes; the only tricky part is choosing which one (or two!) to enjoy first.
With this collection of recipes, you're sure to find a great option to fit your preferences and feed the whole family. There's nothing better than easy taco soup, except when that soup is paired with a great side dish!
What sides go well with Taco Soup
Taco soup is a hearty chili-like dish with lots of Mexican flavor.
It's made in a variety of ways but usually includes ground turkey or beef, pinto beans, corn, homemade taco seasoning, and some chicken broth or water. You can even use the crockpot, like in this chicken taco soup recipe!
The best side dishes to serve with an easy taco soup recipe are made with pantry staples. You don't have to worry about cooking anything too fancy.
As long as the flavors and textures of the sides pair well with the hearty soup, your meal will be complete. It's always a good idea to balance out the Mexican spices with creamy textures or a little bit of mild flavor.
On the other hand, you can complement the flavorful soup with extra flavor and spice, or serve with your favorite taco toppings!
That's the great thing about taco soup—there are so many options!
Garlic bread, cornbread, breadsticks
The best part about soft bread is using it to soak up the delicious broth—you know, instead of slurping it out of the bowl. Plus, adding carbs is the perfect way to make a meal stretch.
- Easy rolls from frozen bread dough
- Bolillo rolls
- Mexican flatbread
- Cast iron skillet cornbread
- Garlic breadsticks
- Easy yeast rolls for beginners
- Texas toast
- Rustic bread
- Cheddar cheese-stuffed rolls
- Air-fryer garlic bread - this is such an easy recipe
- Cornbread muffins
- Hush puppies
Crunchy salad recipes
Soup and salad go together like "taco" and "Tuesday." No matter the day of the week, you'll love how well taco soup pairs with a crunchy, fresh salad.
- Black bean salad
- Southwest salad bowls (make it with or without chicken breast!)
- Mexican chopped salad with fresh green onions
- Heirloom tomato salad
- Mexican fruit salad
- Street corn salad (use cream cheese for extra richness)
- Romaine salad
- Garden salad
- Mexican coleslaw
- Watermelon cotija salad with lime juice and chili powder
- Cucumber tomato salad
- Avocado salad
Vegetable side dishes
Serving vegetables is a great way to balance out your main course. Plus, there are so many different recipes to choose from, you'll never have to eat a boring veggie again.
- Roasted green beans and carrots
- Creamy guacamole and corn tortilla chips
- Mexican street corn
- Charred corn salsa
- Grilled zucchini
- Pan-roasted vegetables with sauce
- Pan-fried squash
- Chipotle-roasted cauliflower
- Grilled bacon-wrapped asparagus
- Mexican corn casserole
- Flame-roasted bell pepper slices
- Pico de Gallo (don't forget crunchy corn chips!)
- Fried green tomatoes
- Stuffed green chiles
What's for dessert?
The best way to finish off a delicious soup is with a bite of sweets! Even a quick dinner deserves a little something special.
- Pull-apart cinnamon rolls
- No-bake lemon icebox pie
- Tres leches cake
- Peanut butter cookies
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Fried ice cream
- Chocolate-covered cashews
- Key lime pie
- Angel food cake with fresh mango
How to serve your taco soup
Here are some of our favorite toppings.
- topped with a dollop of sour cream
- diced red onion
- avocado slices
- with a side of Mexican rice or black beans
- tortilla strips - I love that crunch!
- black olives
What side dishes don't go with
Mexican soup is a versatile, delicious dish, but that doesn't mean everything will pair well with it. Here are some excellent side dish recipes... to save for another meal, that is.
- Crockpot baked beans—too many beans for one meal
- Macaroni pasta salad—the flavors don't blend with Mexican cuisine
- Polenta bowl with charred corn—too similar in consistency to the soup
These sides are also great with...
Inspired to cook something fun? Don't stop with taco soup! The sides in this collection also taste perfect with these satisfying dinner recipes.