Looking for the best appetizer for the big game or Cinco de Mayo? This creamy guacamole recipe has the BEST flavor! It's an easy make-ahead appetizer that everyone loves. This is extra creamy and super delicious - an absolute favorite of everyone I know.
Enjoy this with this super yummy Frito Pie Recipe!
Why you'll love this recipe
It's easy to make, grab your avocados, onions, salsa, cream cheese (yes, cream cheese), lime & cilantro - it won't take long to put together and then YOU can get back to the game!
I love the creaminess of the cheese, plus the lime gives it just the right "tang". This is so much better than the regular guacamole you'll buy in the grocery store.
Serve this creamy guacamole recipe your favorite chips or baby bell peppers - red, green & yellow, fresh crunchy celery makes a great dipper also, doesn't have to be a chip to taste fantastic!
This is one of my favorite easy recipes, perfect for game days!!
For the exact measurements for this creamy dip, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- cream cheese - substitute with sour cream, low fat cream cheese will also work!
- salsa or Rotel - I use spicy, it gives it loads of flavor.
- red onion, though you can also use green onions, white or yellow onion too!
- fresh lime juice
- pinch of salt
This is an overview of the instructions for the creamy avocado sauce. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Slice the avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a medium bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, lime juice, and salsa and mash with a potato masher or food processor. Personally, I prefer the chunkiness of mashing by hand.
- When all combined, add in the red onion and chopped cilantro.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve with your favorite tortilla chips!
That's it, doesn't get much easier than that!
Check the firmness of the avocado. It should be firm, but still give when you apply a bit of pressure. You can also check the stem area, if the stem is removed it should be bright green underneath, not brown.
If you purchase unripe avocados, place them in a paper bag and leave it on the kitchen counter. It will ripen in a day or two and be perfect!
It turns brown when air hits the avocado or guacamole and oxidizes.
Technically no, but if you spread a thin coat of sour cream over the top of the guacamole, it will seal it and keep air from turning the avocado brown.
Yes, but it doesn't taste very good. Just scrape the brown or dark green layer off the top.
Use a potato masher to combine the ingredients. It mixes it well while still maintaining texture.
Many recipes use a minced garlic clove, or onion powder but I've found those spices overpower the taste of the homemade guacamole recipe.
If you want to bring the heat, add minced jalapeños pepper or Serrano peppers.
A Serrano Chile or diced jalapeños pepper will go a long way and add a good amount of heat!
No lime? Use fresh lemon juice instead.
Refrigerate - Store leftover guacamole in an airtight container. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate leftovers. To keep the top of the guacamole dip from turning brown and to avoid oxidation, lay the plastic wrap on top of the dip and lightly press it down.
You can also squeeze fresh lemon juice or lime over the top.
Either will keep air from coming into contact with the delicious dip, keeping it from turning color.
Click here for all of my favorite Mexican Recipes!
- Refried Bean Dip - perfect for a party, this three ingredient dip is absolutely delicious!
- Guilt Free Onion Dip - you won't believe how easy AND yummy this great dip is!
- Easy Quesadilla Dip - the perfect sweet with a touch of heat dip. Simple and always the first thing gone.
- Loaded Potato Skins Recipe - you can never go wrong with potatoes and these loaded potato skins are perfect for game day eats!!
This creamy guacamole recipe is simple and the best appetizer for a weekend get-together, Super Bowl tailgating or your Cinco de Mayo party!
- Serve this with my favorite Frito Pie Casserole - a dollop on top? YUM!
- Rotel Chicken Casserole is cheesy and delicious! Serve a dollop of guacamole on top makes it even better!
- Top your grilled shrimp tacos - talk about fabulous!!
- Fabulous over Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas.
- You want a super easy affordable appetizer? Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes to serve with the guac!
- Avocado Toast wasn't just a thing.... it's amazing for breakfast!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
This recipe takes guacamole to the next level! If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Creamy Guacamole Recipe
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup ready made salsa I used spicy!
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Slice the avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Add the cream cheese, lime juice and salsa and mash with a potato masher. Or use an electric mixer if you prefer it to be creamy but I like a little texture in the guacamole.
- When it is mixed to your preference, add in the red onion and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!