Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas - Tender chicken, bell peppers and onions seasoned with spices and baked to perfection! Perfect for meal planning and a great weeknight meal everyone loves!
This is an easy meal that comes together in a snap! Clean up is a breeze as well, just be sure to line the sheet pan with aluminum foil.
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- chicken – white or dark meat, use your favorite. I prefer white meat and that’s what I used in this recipe.
- red, green and orange bell peppers – the colored peppers are a little sweeter than the green, but you can certainly use all green if you’d prefer.
- onion – yellow or white onion, you can even use red onion. It just has a more mild flavor
- tortillas – corn or flour
- fajita seasoning mix – for spicy deliciousness!
- fresh lime – adds the perfect tang
- olive oil – a great hearty-healthy oil, though you can certainly substitute with corn oil
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are super simple to make. You’re going to love how quick and easy this recipe is!
- preheat the oven
- slice the chicken breast into thin ½ inch strips
- clean the peppers, remove the seeds and thinly slice
- do the same for the onion
- line the sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper
- spread the ingredients evenly onto the pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with homemade fajitas mix
- bake until chicken is cooked thru
- finish with a squeeze of lime
Is fajita mix and taco mix the same? Actually they are very similar in taste. Can you substitute them? Yes in a pinch! If you’re looking to make your own fajita or taco mix, I have recipes for both on the blog!
Taco mix typically has more chili powder, fajita mix will be more earthy from the cumin and spicy from the red pepper flakes. If you mix your own, you’ll be amazed at the improvement in flavor from the packets!
I would love to use chicken tenders for fajitas (or just about everything, right? They are called tender for a reason!) but they aren't as affordable as chicken breast.
If the chicken breast is really thick, divide it in half and then slice it into ½ inch strips.
Traditionally no - toppers for oven baked fajitas include: sour cream, salsa, jalapeños and hot sauce. A squeeze of lime over the top finishes them perfectly!
Make your own Fajitas Spice Mix. Hands down the best fajita mix ever! I bet you'll find you have everything you need in your spice cabinet. However if you aren't interested in making your own spice mix, no problem! Pick up a packet of fajitas seasoning at the store.
The edges of the sheet pan get hot more quickly, lay the chicken around the edges and pile the peppers and onions in the center.
Pro tip: Lining your sheet pan with aluminum foil will make clean up a breeze!
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas as delicious no matter how you serve them, but here are some toppings to make them even tastier!
- sour cream - helps cool any heat.
- cojita or queso fresco - Mexican cheese, both are delicious and would be amazing on these fajitas
- guacamole - or chunks of fresh avocado for creamy richness.
- jalapeños - thin slices if it's fresh or jarred pickled jalapeños to add a bit of spice!
- salsa or homemade Pico de Gallo - love a great salsa!
- cilantro and lime - adds a nice bright burst of flavor!
This would be delicious served with street corn, slaw and black beans - yum! Of course if you're looking for great Mexican party food, I have a whole post dedicated to it! BEST Mexican Party Food Recipes!
Are you ready to give this recipe a whirl? I know you’ll love it, in fact, the whole family will I’m sure!
Love the ease of a sheet pan dinner? We do too! Here are a few more recipes I think you'll enjoy! Cajun Shrimp Sheet Pan Dinner - so much flavor without all the messy cleanup of a seafood boil!
And this recipe for Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin is SO GOOD! A quick and easy dry rub and toss it in the oven with sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Dinner is done!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless - slice into ½ inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper
seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp fajita seasoning homemade or use a packet, no judgment!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime
- optional garnishes, lime, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, guacamole or avocado slices
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees - line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin ½ inch strips.
- Clean the peppers, remove the seeds and thinly slice, do the same with the onion.
- Spread the chicken, peppers and onions evenly onto the pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with homemade fajitas mix. If possible, keep the chicken on the edges of the pan as it will cook more quickly.
- Place in the preheated oven. Roast until the chicken is completely cooked 18-22 minutes, it will depend upon how crowded your pan is.
- Finish by squeezing with fresh lime when you remove it from the oven. Serve with tortillas and your toppings of choice!
- sour cream
- guacamole or avocado slices
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas was First Published: October 23, 2019 • Updated: March 14, 2021 to improve instructions and readability.