Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas – Tender chicken, bell peppers and onions seasoned with spices and baked to perfection! Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are an easy meal that comes together in a snap! Perfect for meal planning and a great weeknight meal everyone loves!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Did I tell you we ate like royalty when we were in New Mexico?
Oh my goodness!
Standing at the Santa Fe Farmers Market. Enjoying the sites, sounds and aromas as the chiles are roasting, while the crowds surge by.
The Santa Fe Farmers Market is one of the top ten in the country. It’s filled with fresh vegetables and beautiful handmade wreaths crafted from peppers. Artisans share their wares and music is played by performers on the corner.
An entire building is devoted to baked goods and rich, fresh coffee. You’re completely surrounded by a taste of New Mexico!
I especially enjoyed sampling green chile sausage that was perfectly grilled. When I bit into it, the juices rolled down my arm. It was so good that every one of my fingers had to be licked clean!
Yes, I could have used a napkin, but hey… we were on vacation!
I remember Michelle saying “what did you do with the sausage?” and I smiled like the cat that swallowed the canary. 😋
Yup! It was that good!
So, of course, you know some tasty Mexican food is coming your way, right? YES! I knew you would!
Easy Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
Baking them in the oven means no standing over the stove and if you line the sheet pan with tin foil or parchment paper, clean up is a breeze! No pile of dirty dishes? What’s not to love!
So the first thing I’m going to do is send you over to my recipe for Fajitas Spice Mix. Hands down the best fajita mix ever! I bet you’ll find you have everything you need already in your spice cabinet.
But having said that, if you take a shortcut and use a packet, that’s ok, I won’t tell!
Here’s what you need to make the fajitas!
Ingredients for Oven Baked Fajitas
- chicken – white or dark meat, use your favorite. I prefer white meat and that’s what I used in this recipe.
- red, green and orange bell peppers – the colored peppers are a little sweeter than the green, but you can certainly use all green if you’d prefer.
- onion – yellow or white onion, you can even use red onion. It just has a more mild flavor
- tortillas – corn or flour
- fajita seasoning mix – for spicy deliciousness!
- fresh lime – adds the perfect tang
- olive oil – a great hearty-healthy oil, though you can certainly substitute with corn oil
What’s the difference between taco and fajita seasoning?
Is fajita mix and taco mix the same? Actually they are very similar in taste. Can you substitute them? Yes in a pinch! If you’re looking to make your own fajita or taco mix, I have recipes for both on the blog!
Taco mix typically has more chili powder, fajita mix will be more earthy from the cumin and spicy from the red pepper flakes. If you mix your own, you’ll be amazed at the improvement in flavor from the packets!
Oven roasting makes fajitas effortless!
How do you slice chicken breast for fajitas?
I would love to use chicken tenders for fajitas (or just about everything, right? They are called tender for a reason!) but they aren’t as affordable as chicken breast.
If the chicken breast is really thick, divide it in half and then slice it into 1/2 inch strips.
What temperature should you bake chicken at?
For the fajitas, you’ll preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake them for 18-22 minutes. Chicken is cooked completely when an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees.
Tips to bake the chicken!The edges of the sheet pan get hot more quickly, lay the chicken around the edges and pile the peppers and onions in the center.
Lining your sheet pan with aluminum foil will make clean up a breeze!
Do you put lettuce on fajitas?
Traditionally no – toppers for oven baked fajitas include:
- sour cream – helps cool any heat.
- cojita or queso fresco – Mexican cheese, both are delicious and would be amazing on these fajitas
- guacamole – or chunks of fresh avocado for creamy richness.
- jalapeños – thin slices if it’s fresh or jarred pickled jalapeños to add a bit of spice!
- salsa or homemade Pico de Gallo – love a great salsa!
- cilantro and lime – adds a nice bright burst of flavor!
What do you serve with fajitas?
You can also serve street corn, slaw and black beans – how delicious! Of course if you’re looking for great Mexican party food, I have a whole post dedicated to it! BEST Mexican Party Food Recipes!
Let’s make Oven Baked Fajitas!
How do you make chicken fajitas from scratch?
These are super simple to make you’re going to love how quick and easy this recipe is!
- preheat the oven
- slice the chicken breast into thin 1/2 inch strips
- clean the peppers, remove the seeds and thinly slice
- do the same for the onion
- line the sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper
- spread the ingredients evenly onto the pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with homemade fajitas mix
- bake until chicken is cooked thru
- finish with a squeeze of lime
Are you ready to give this recipe a whirl? I know you’ll love it, in fact, the whole family will I’m sure!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
- You’ll need a great knife for all of this slicing and dicing! Click here for the knives I use and recommend.
- Here’s an affordable set of cutting boards for the kitchen.
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Easy Oven Baked Fajitas
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless – slice into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper
seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp fajita seasoning homemade or use a packet, no judgment!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime
- optional garnishes, lime, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, guacamole or avocado slices
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees – line the baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin 1/2 inch strips.
- Clean the peppers, remove the seeds and thinly slice, do the same with the onion.
- Spread the chicken, peppers and onions evenly onto the pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with homemade fajitas mix. If possible, keep the chicken on the edges of the pan as it will cook more quickly.
- Place in the preheated oven. Roast until the chicken is completely cooked 18-22 minutes, it will depend upon how crowded your pan is.
- Finish by squeezing with fresh lime when you remove it from the oven. Serve with tortillas and your toppings of choice!
- sour cream
- guacamole or avocado slices