Looking for a creamy chicken potato bake to satisfy those comfort food cravings? This cheesy chicken potato bake is the answer to the question: “what’s for dinner?”.
Loaded with creamy sauce, tender and juicy pan-seared chicken breast pieces, fluffy red potatoes, and Brussels sprouts, this one-pan hearty casserole recipe is an easy weeknight dinner!
Love this recipe? Next time try the Scalloped Ham and Potato Casserole - you'll love this one too!
Why you'll love this recipe
This creamy chicken potato bake is total comfort food and hearty casserole that the whole family will love for dinner or lunch!
It’s a super versatile casserole recipe, allowing you to change up ingredients with ease.
You get to use minimal ingredients to produce a knock-out dish that'll have people coming back for more! Bonus? It tastes even better the next day!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or if you'd prefer use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Potatoes - you can use baby red potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes or russet - use what you have on hand.
- Carrots - I used peeled baby carrots, but you can use 4-5 whole carrots.
- Cream cheese
- Cream of Chicken Soup - in a pinch I've used sour cream, you can also substitute cream of mushroom soup.
- Evaporated Milk - or if you'd prefer use heavy whipping cream.
- Ranch dressing mix
- Sharp cheddar cheese, though you can certainly use Colby, Monterey Jack Cheese or even provolone would be amazing!
This is an overview of the instructions for this simple casserole. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Pre heat oven. Spray casserole dish with non stick spray, set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast into large chunks. Place in baking dish.
- Dice potatoes and carrots, add to the casserole.
- Combine the cream cheese, evaporated milk, cream of chicken soup and ranch mix in a sauce pan. Place over medium heat. Cook and whisk until creamy. Pour cream sauce over the casserole, top with shredded cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, place under broiler for 4-6 minutes until the top of the casserole is golden brown. Watch it carefully so itt doesn't burn, just get all golden and toasty!
- Allow to rest 15-20 minutes before serving.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Raw chicken breasts need to cook for 20-25 minutes but since I've added potatoes and brussels sprouts, additional baking time is required.
No. You can cook raw chicken breasts in the oven from scratch but then you may need to increase the overall cook time to ensure that the chicken is cooked through.
Generally, cooking chicken over a longer period of time will result in tender and juicy chicken, especially when it's cooked in creamy sauce like this recipe.
- If you have a frying pan that is oven-proof, go ahead and use this instead of transferring the ingredients to a separate casserole dish. It’ll save you a little extra clean-up.
- Topping your cheesy chicken potato bake with some herbs like thyme is a lovely way to add a bit of freshness just prior to serving.
- This casserole can be baked a day or two before and stored in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped, until ready to reheat and serve. Alternatively, assemble your unbaked casserole in the refrigerator and add the grated cheese just prior to baking.
- Substitute homemade white wine Alfredo Sauce for the cream cheese and evaporated milk - delicious!
- You can use regular potatoes or even sweet potatoes. While I’ve quartered my potatoes, don’t be shy to slice them as you would with potatoes au gratin if you’d like.
- Make your own creamy sauce or buy a different type of pasta sauce from the store than what I’ve used.
- Other vegetables can be used or added to this casserole such as caramelized onions, spinach, and diced carrots.
- Opt for skin on the raw chicken breasts and cut your raw chicken breasts in halves instead of smaller 2-inch pieces.
- Add cooked chopped bacon or ham into the casserole for an extra meaty meal.
- Italian seasonings can be used instead of the ranch mix.
- Chopped rotisserie chicken can also be used in this recipe but you will then need to skip the pan-searing and I would also recommend pre-baking the potatoes and brussels sprouts before baking the assembled casserole
Creamy chicken and potato bake can be refrigerated for up to 5 days when stored in an airtight container or casserole dish, wrapped with plastic wrap.
If you would like to extend the storage life of this cheesy chicken potato bake, freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven prior to serving.
If you love a good potato bake or potato dish then you’ll be happy to know that I have quite a few you can try as simple side dishes or as hearty main meals. Consider Colcannon Recipe (Potatoes and Cabbage) or Cracker Barrel Cheesy Potatoes as your next potato dish to make.
- This cheesy hashbrown casserole is the best combination of flavors.
- As we navigate our way through the colder months, this Potato Soup Recipe is sure to satisfy those comfort food cravings!
- I love this classic Tuna Casserole Recipe - creamy sauce, tender noodles with plenty tuna and a great crunch topping! Or another great comfort food recipe is Turkey Pot Pie.
- This recipe for Layered Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole has classic enchilada flavor without all the fussy work!
- Be sure to try the Bell Pepper Casserole soon! Something special happens to bell peppers when they are cooked. This recipe is seriously amazing!
- If you have any leftover chicken from making this creamy chicken and potato bake then be sure to put it to good use in this Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole, or Crockpot Chicken & Gravy.
- The Chicken Spaghetti Recipe is the ultimate comfort food and a great weeknight meal! Tender chicken served over noodles or rice. It's easy to make in your slow cooker!
Find a ton more Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes here!
This creamy chicken and potato bake is comfort food at its best which you could serve alongside Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, Steamed Green Beans, or this winter-perfect Citrus Salad Recipe with Winter Greens.
Make this main dish even more memorable with freshly baked homemade rolls!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Creamy Chicken and Potato Bake
- 2-3 chicken breast boneless skinless, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4-5 potatoes diced into large chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots cleaned
- 10.5 ounces can cream of chicken soup
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ¾ ounce ranch mix
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- optional toppings - crispy bacon, minced parsley or thinly sliced green onions.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray casserole dish with non stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Cut the chicken breast into large chunks. Place in casserole dish.
- Top the chicken with the quartered potatoes and carrots.
- Combine the cream cheese, evaporated milk, cream of chicken soup, ranch mix and half the shredded cheese in a medium sauce pan. Place over medium high heat and whisk until smooth.
- Pour cream mixture over the top of the potatoes. Finish with the remaining shredded cheese. Cover tightly with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, place under broiler for 4-6 minutes until the top of the casserole is golden brown. Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn, you just want it to get all golden and toasty!
- Allow to rest 15-20 minutes before serving.