Your favorite pasta is finished in a fresh lemony garlic sauce! It's an easy recipe and filled with bright, vibrant flavor. You'll have quick dinner on the table in just 20 minutes!
Next week be sure to try the Chicken Spaghetti Recipe - filled with a creamy sauce, it's absolutely out of this world!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
I've made lemon garlic pasta recipe more times than I can count! Including when my folks visited; even my Dad (who is not a pasta fan) loved it!
The flavors are bright, lemony and fresh. It's very savory and creamy enough. It's a simple pasta dish and only takes 20 make! This is a fantastic weeknight meal the whole family will love!
You'll only need a handful of simple ingredients. For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- spaghetti, penne, angel hair pasta or linguine pasta - really you can use any kind of pasta you have in the pantry. There's no hard/fast rule here.
- olive oil - the oil will incorporate into the sauce, use the best you have on hand.
- whipping cream, heavy cream or half and half in a pinch - a rich thick cream will be tastiest.
- fresh lemons, you'll use the juice and zest - because the lemon is such an essential part of this dish it really needs to be fresh lemon juice.
- garlic cloves - depending on the size, you'll need 5-8 cloves.
- parmesan cheese - Romano or even cream cheese would work in this recipe.
- basil or parsley for garnish - if available!
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Put a large pot of salted water on the stove to boil. When boiling, drop the spaghetti in and cook to al dente. While it's cooking, add the chopped garlic, pepper and red pepper flakes to olive oil over low heat.
- Slowly sauté the garlic.
- Next, add the lemon zest and whipping cream. Stir to combine.
- When the pasta is done, remove the sauce from the heat and add the lemon juice. Transfer the cooked pasta to the lemon butter garlic sauce mixing well to combine.
- Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Mix the buttery lemon garlic sauce really well with the pasta adding reserved pasta water if needed. Garnish with chopped parsley or basil.
Click on the image to watch this fun video and see me make this recipe from start to finish with extra tips! (Video opens in a new tab).
Please like & subscribe to the channel so you'll be the first in the know! Click to watch the full video on YouTube.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- This pot for boiling pasta is super cool. It even has a strainer built into the lid!
- A nice cast iron skillet works well for this delicious recipe. This one is deep enough to easily, toss the pasta in the sauce without making a mess.
- Tongs to toss the pasta are super helpful as well, along with a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the skillet.
Obviously yes because it's part of this recipe! 😋 The addition of starch will counteract potential curdling. Add the lemon juice at the end when you're adding the pasta.
Heat can cause a sauce to curdle. Be sure the garlic is cooked on low heat. you can even pull it off the heat when you add the cream. Stir well to incorporate.
Yes - heat about ½ cup of heavy cream until it's reduced by half and then slow whisk the curdled sauce into the reduced heavy cream.
Of all the times I've made this it's only curdled once. And you know what? We ate it anyway. It's just not as pretty, but it really didn't effect the taste.
- Any long pasta will work for the creamy lemon pasta recipe - I've even used penne and orecchiette!
- Cook your pasta just short of al dente - the pasta will finish cooking in the sauce so you don't want to overcook it!
- Salt the pasta water well - how much salt is enough? For every six cups of water add a tablespoon of salt.
- When you zest the lemon include only the yellow skin, the white pith is bitter.
- Garnish with basil and/or parsley - the fresh herbs give it such a bright taste. Garnishing is optional but it's something I would definitely recommend!
Expert Tip: Save your pasta cooking liquid - that starchy water is perfect for loosening up the lemon spaghetti sauce as it’s tossed with the pasta.
Shrimp is a delicious addition to this recipe! Add it to the sauce and cook until it is opaque and toss with the lemon garlic pasta. So yummy!!
Leftover rotisserie chicken is another great addition to the lemon garlic spaghetti recipe if you want to up the protein in this meal.
This Lemon Pasta Recipe is a great 30 minute meal, quick and easy to make for weekdays, but it's also perfect for a fancy meal with company. Really all you need to go along with this meal is a great green salad and a baguette and dinner is ready!
Adding a couple tablespoons of butter to the sauce makes it even more rich and creamy. turning it into a lemon garlic butter sauce - swooning!
This creamy pasta will keep 3-4 days refrigerated. Store in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Adding additional water or a small amount of cream will help rehydrate the pasta so it doesn't taste dry.
This can also be frozen for up to three months. Allow the pasta to cool to room temperature, then store in a ziplock bag or freezable container.
This delicious lemon garlic pasta is one of my favorite delicious recipes to make for easy weeknight dinner, but it's also fancy enough for company! It's really a lovely meal!
- Another simple pasta recipe from the blog are Pasta Puttanesca. This is another easy meal using pantry ingredients. It's affordable and delicious!
- Butternut Squash Pasta is also super yummy. It's easy to make with leftovers.
- One of our favorite quick and easy meals is teriyaki noodles. The homemade sauce is amazing and this is so good!
- Spaghetti Carbonara is a quick and easy meal as well. It's just so tasty! Another great meal served with a salad and bread - YUM!
Love this meal? Please be sure and comment below and leave a five-star rating! If you're on Instagram I'd love it if you tag me with #bowlmeover or @bowlmeover so I get to see your delicious plate of pasta!
Lemon Garlic Pasta
- 13.5 oz package spaghetti
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- basil and fresh parsley for garnish if desired
- pasta water add as needed
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Start by boiling a large pot of salted water on the stove. When it reaches a rolling boil, drop the pasta noodles in the boiling water and cook pasta according to package instructions to just al dente.
- While the pot is heating and the pasta cooks prepare the sauce. Chop the garlic and place in a large skillet over low heat with olive oil. Don't allow the garlic to brown, this will make it bitter. Add the red pepper flakes and black pepper. Slowly sauté the garlic for about 10 minutes, along with the spices.
- Next add the lemon zest and whipping cream. Continue to stir the creamy lemon sauce and the flavors will slowly combine and the sauce will begin to thicken.
- When the pasta is done, turn the heat off from the sauce. Add in the lemon juice. Stir to combine, then begin transferring the cooked noodles to the sauce. Mix the hot pasta with the lemon cream sauce. Mix well to combine. Save a cup of the pasta water and if needed, add to the pasta for creaminess.
- Top the noodles with the shredded parmesan cheese and mix again. Garnish with parsley & chopped basil.
- Salt the pasta water well
- Cook your pasta just short of al dente
- Cook the garlic on LOW, otherwise it will burn. You cannot hurry this process.
- Save some of the pasta cooking liquid to add to the sauce
- Toss the pasta really well - work the sauce through the pasta to ensure it's well distributed.
- Garnish with basil and parsley