This Pasta Puttanesca Recipe is an easy dish that uses simple pantry ingredients to create the most incredible meal! In the time it takes to boil the pasta the sauce is complete! Spaghetti Puttanesca is a quick, budget-friendly delicious meal that will have everyone begging for seconds!
This post is sponsored by Borges USA, Caramia and Star Fine Foods, all of the opinions are my own! #ad
When I lived in Washington DC going to the Baltimore Aquarium was a must see! Something I definitely wanted to cross off my list. There was soo much to see, it was amazing and fun, but what I remembered most was dinner that night.
Somehow I took a wrong turn and ended up in Little Italy. Keep in mind this was before the days of Yelp and maps where you plug addresses into it and they lead you right to your destination!
Come to think about it was way before the time of cell phones, lol!
Anyway, I ended up at a charming little restaurant in this quaint neighborhood that served the MOST AMAZING Italian food. I imagined the guys in the booth next to me were wise guys and was pretty sure the Godfather was in the back room!
For dinner that night I had Pasta Puttanesca for the very first time. It was fabulous! It was a meal I have never forgotten and when I gathered up the ingredients for this post, I knew exactly what I was going to make!
Ingredients for Spaghetti Puttanesca
Grocery list for Pasta Puttanesca
- crushed tomatoes
- Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cara Mia Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Star Capers
- Star Anchovies
- parmesan cheese
Star Fine Foods is based here in Fresno and you know how I love to bring you a touch of the Central Valley! I am so proud to bring your their products and feature them in this recipe! I’ve been using their products for years.
Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil is peppery and pungent. It’s perfect for your everyday cooking needs and I use it to make sauces, soups, marinades and salad dressings. Whether you’re sauteing, grilling or frying it’s a perfect choice!
Are you shying away from anchovies? Don’t be afraid! Star Anchovies are excellent! You won’t taste any fishiness in this dish at all. They add a depth of flavor that can’t be matched! The same can be said for the capers and sun dried tomatoes – absolutely delicious!
Spaghetti Puttanesca is said to have originated in Naples. Legend has it that it was a late night and at closing time there were hungry travelers that ventured into a restaurant. There wasn’t enough food to make a meal and this is what was thrown together.
It’s a simple meal that packs so much flavor and comes together in just minutes on the stove top!
What kind of pasta do you use in Pasta Puttanesca?
- Traditionally spaghetti is the pasta of choice, but if you have a favorite, by all means, use it! (I won’t tell!)
How long does puttanesca sauce last?
- It will last in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Can you freeze pasta puttanesca?
- Yes, well sealed the sauce will keep in the freezer up to three months.
What to serve with spaghetti Puttanesca
- Garden Salad Recipe with Creamy Vinaigrette
- 3 Ingredient Steamed Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli with Lemon
- Easy Dinner Rolls Recipe
Pasta Puttanesca Recipe
Steps to make Pasta Puttanesca Recipe
- Bring a pot of salted water to boiling.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over low heat.
- Thinly slice the garlic, rinse the anchovy fillets, pat dry. Dice the fillets and capers. Add to the olive oil and sauté, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sun-dried and crushed tomatoes and continue to sauté.
- Drop the pasta so it is cooking while the sauce is finishing – cook the pasta until just al dente.
- Remove from the boiling water and place it directly in the sauce. Toss well.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pasta water if needed. Continue to toss the pasta and allow it to finish cooking in the sauce.
More of my favorite pasta dishes!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in a variety of affiliate programs, including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
When you’re tossing the pasta with the sauce, toss it really well – these are the tongs I use. They are not fancy or expensive, but they work great!
Pasta Puttanesca is a delicious dish that uses simple pantry ingredients to an incredible meal! It's a quick, easy, budget-friendly meal that will have everyone begging for seconds!
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes julienne style
- 2 tbsp capers roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 3 fillets anchovies rinsed and patted dry, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 tbsp parsley minced
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
Add olive oil to a large skillet over low heat.
Thinly slice the garlic, rinse the anchovy fillets, pat dry. Dice the fillets and capers. Add to the olive oil and sauté, stirring occasionally.
Add the sun-dried and crushed tomatoes and continue to sauté.
Drop the pasta in the boiling water so it is cooking while the sauce is finishing - cook the pasta until just al dente.
Remove from the boiling water and place it directly in the sauce. Toss well.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pasta water if needed. Continue to toss the pasta and allow it to finish cooking in the sauce.
Serve with minced parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.