Seriously delicious Grilled Shrimp Tacos! This quick recipe takes just minutes to make with perfectly seasoned shrimp wrapped in a tortilla and topped with cabbage slaw, salsa and cilantro lime sauce.
Mexican food doesn’t have to mean a heavy meal drenched in sauce and cheese – though I admit I love a great enchilada with all the fixings!
This simple grilled shrimp tacos recipe will have you enjoying a great meal that’s light and delicious and takes only 15 minutes to make!
- shrimp – the larger the better.
- chili powder, sugar, cumin, salt, garlic and onion powder – spices you have in your cabinet are the perfect combination.
- lime – helps the spices adhere to the seafood.
- butter – for basting while they are cooking.
- tortillas – corn or flour, we prefer the small street taco size.
- grilled shrimp taco toppings – cabbage, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro lime sauce, salsa – use your favorites!
- If frozen thaw the shrimp. An easy way to thaw them is to place them in a colander under cool running water.
- Remove the shell and dark vein running down the back of the shrimp.
- Blot the shrimp dry with a paper towel.
- Squeeze the lime over the seafood.
- Sprinkle with the spice mix.
- BBQ the shrimp on a hot preheated grill. The amount of time it takes will depend on the size of the seafood purchased. But regardless, it only takes minutes per side!
- Pile the grilled shrimp tacos on the tortillas and add your favorite toppings!
Tips & FAQ
Really you can use your favorite toppings. We usually keep it quite simple with thinly sliced cabbage, red onions, cilantro lime sauce and salsa. I think it really makes the grilled shrimp the star of the tacos!!
You want your tacos all dolled up? Then here are more toppings to enjoy!
- Mexican coleslaw – bright freshness with loads of flavor, a mayo-free slaw is perfect to top off tacos!
- sliced jalapeños, Pico de Gallo, sour cream, guacamole and shredded lettuce or cabbage.
- Avocado Salsa – filled with tomatoes, jalapeños and onions with fresh lime juice – this is mighty tasty!
Fresh or frozen?
Living in land-locked Fresno – fresh shrimp isn’t an option. Frozen shrimp is our option and I think it works just great. I will buy a bag every 6 weeks or so and then remove and thaw as we need them.
Best size shrimp
Any size will work for this recipe, however larger will be easier to because they won’t fall through grill.
If smaller shrimp is your best option, consider purchasing a basket to cook them in. I’ll link one below. They are great for seafood, fish and vegetables.
How do you keep shrimp from sticking to the grill?
Be sure to preheat your grill well. Allow it to get super hot. Spray with non-stick cooking spray right before grilling.
How will I know when the shrimp is done?
It will only take 2-3 minutes per side to cook completely. You’ll know they are done when the skin turns red and flesh will be pearly opaque.
What if I don’t have a grill?
No problem! You can certainly cook this meal indoors. Utilize a stovetop grill or a skillet to cook these flavorful shrimp! The important thing is to give this recipe a try!
Corn or flour tortillas?
Either or will work! I like using small street taco size. That way I can have a couple of tacos and not feel guilty! 😋
Want restaurant quality tacos? Cook the tortillas! Whether it’s on the bbq or in a fry pan on the stove, giving the tortilla a quick sear will take your tacos to the next level!
What to serve with
A bit about tacos
It’s no secret, I really love tacos! Whether they are beef, pork, chicken or fish but I have to say – these grilled shrimp tacos are the BEST yet!
I love that they are so simple to make – truly a 15 minute meal!
😋 Related Recipes
Still hungry for shrimp! Here are more of my favorites –
- Cajun Baked Shrimp this sheet pan meal has it all without the fussy clean up!
- And if you like that, be sure to try this copycat Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp – YUM! This meal is so easy to make!!
- Grilled Shrimp is yummy too – great for an appetizer, main dish or to top off your salad.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Grilled Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- 12 large shrimp thawed if frozen, shelled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- taco toppings – minced cilantro, shredded cabbage, diced avocado, salsa
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
- Clean and shell and devein the shrimp, rinse thoroughly, pat dry.
- Mix together the spices. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the shrimp then sprinkle with the spice mix.
- Place the shrimp on the hot grill. Brush side two with some melted butter and sprinkle with seasoning.
- Depending on the size of your shrimp it will take 2-3 minutes per side. Flip after you see light charring on side one and grill for another 2-3 minutes until browned on side two, basting with butter.
- Quickly grill the tortillas, like the shrimp it will only take a minute or two per side.
- Remove from grill and prepare your tacos with your favorite fixin's!