This Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning is an easy way to make your next Taco Tuesday special! Skip the store-bought packets and create your own blend of spices. Not only is this homemade seasoning delicious, but it's healthy too. Plus, you can customize it to suit your tastes!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️Making your own seasonings is a great way add more flavor to your next taco night.
✔️ This homemade taco seasoning is made with pantry staples, so you can whip up a batch quickly.
✔️Adding your own spices will make the flavor more unique and custom tailored to your tastes.
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- black pepper
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- small bowl
- airtight container
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
There is really no difference between the two. Both of the seasoning can be used interchangeably.
Yes, you can use this recipe as a general taco seasoning for any kind of taco filling or even as an all-purpose Mexican-seasoning.
You will need two or three tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat. Start with two and add more to adjust the seasoning to your tastebuds.
- You can use this taco seasoning recipe with ground chicken, chicken breasts, ground turkey or even ground beef.
- Add a smoky flavor to this simple recipe by using smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
- You should have these spices on hand in your spice cabinet however if you don't have one on hand, you can easily find the missing ingredient in the spice aisle of your local grocery store.
- The best part of this homemade chicken taco seasoning recipe is that you can add more or less the spices to control the heat and spice level to suit your family's tastebuds.
- Add more heat to this recipe by adding chipotle powder or cayenne pepper.
- If you want to reduce the heat of this taco seasoning you can reduce the cumin, and leave the red pepper flakes out altogether.
Storage - Always store your own spice blends in an airtight container in a cool dark place for up to 6 months. Because it stores so well I like to whip up a big batch so that I always have this taco seasoning mix on hand when I need it.
More homemade seasoning mixes
- If you want another recipe to help you skip the store-bought seasoning, then check out this Montreal Steak Seasoning recipe. It's a great way to add flavor to your family grill nights.
- Are you a fan of seafood? If so, then next time you ready to cook with Old Bay Seasoning use this homemade recipe to make it at home and skip the store.
- Do you love mexican recipes? Well, then you are going to want to whip a batch of this Authentic Fajita Seasoning to keep on hand for when the craving strikes.
Serve Chicken Taco Seasoning with
- If you are in the market for a new Chicken Taco recipe to make with this seasoning blend, then check out this list of Chicken Taco Casserole recipes. You are guaranteed to find a meal that your entire family will love.
- One of my favorite recipes to make with this homemade seasoning is this Ground Beef Taco Dip. It's creamy, easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser at game day parties.
- Next time you want a taco-inspired meal that your whole family will love, then check out this Taco Spaghetti Pasta Casserole. It's creamy, cheesy and bursting with taco flavor.
Hey if you want to catch all my videos, be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel. You'll be notified each time I share a new video!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- liberal grinding of black pepper optional
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in airtight container.
- Use 2-3 tablespoons per pound of beef, chicken or vegetables. With ¼ cup water.