Sweet, tender shrimp take just minutes to make on the grill. That's what I'm talking about! How to grill Shrimp Skewers for a quick and easy weeknight meal! This meal couldn't get any easier or any more delicious!
Let me show you some quick shortcuts and you'll be making grilled shrimp kabobs for dinner tonight!
If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to try Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs next, they are amazing!
Why you'll love this recipe
One of the reasons I love shrimp is because it's such an easy weeknight meal and tastes just delicious! I have several great shrimp recipes on the blog - Garlic Parmesan Roasted Shrimp and Garlic Shrimp, and Cajun Baked Shrimp - YUM!
When I'm grilling just about any protein, I try to keep it simple. Olive oil and seasoning, perhaps some sauce at the end. You can use a gas or charcoal grill - your choice!
For the exact ingredients and measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- peeled, deveined shrimp
- olive oil
- grill seasoning
- fresh lemon
- non-stick coating
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
It doesn't take long to grill the shrimp kabobs recipe at, only 5-7 minutes per side depending on the size of the shrimp!
- Preheat the grill.
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Rinse the raw shrimp in cold water, pat dry with paper towels and thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Brush the shrimp with olive oil.
- Season shrimp.
- Shrimp cook quickly and will only need to 5-7 minutes total, turning once during grilling.
- Serve with a fresh lemon wedge on the side, finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Bamboo skewers are inexpensive and a great option. Just be sure to soak them before use.
- Flat reusable metal skewers are a terrific choice. Because they are flat, the meat doesn't twirl or fall through the cooking grates and they are easier to flip!
- Grill baskets are great because they are terrific for seafood or vegetables! When you use a grill pan the shrimp won't fall through the grill grates.
One of the biggest mistake people make with shrimp is overcooking it. When properly the tails of the shrimp will be pink and the flesh just slightly white. Overcooked the flesh will be bright white and the shrimp will be rubbery.
Cooked shrimp will curl into a little C shape.
I think it's easier to enjoy this meal when the shells are removed, but it's purely personal preference.
It's easy to overcook shrimp. It just takes minutes per side. Shrimp shouldn't be chewy or dry. They should taste sweet, flavorful and moist.
Use plenty of seasoning! Don't skimp, it adds so much flavor. And baste the shrimp with butter.....mmmmm!!!
If you don't want to use wooden skewers to grill shrimp you have a couple of options. Purchase jumbo shrimp so they don't fall through the grill. Or use a grill basket - those work terrific!
Keep it simple with lemon zest, black pepper and a sprinkling of kosher salt.
- Peel and devein the shrimp before grilling.
- Using skewers that are flat ensures the shrimp won't twirl on the skewer. It makes flipping them so much easier! If you have round grill sticks, double skewer them.
- Shrimp size matters. Buy the largest shrimp that meets your budget. The little ones cook quickly and are easy to overcook. No one likes rubbery shrimp!
- Often frozen bags of jumbo shrimp go on sale and are quite inexpensive. Watch for the sale!
- Unless you live on the coast, nearly all shrimp have been frozen. There's nothing wrong with frozen shrimp!
- Flat (rather than round) bamboo skewers, are best because the meat won't twirl when you're trying to flip it.
- Always soak bamboo skewers for 30 minutes to avoid the wood from burning while grilling.
- Metal skewers work great as well and don't need soaking!
Whether you use a gas grill or a charcoal, grilling shrimp kebabs are easy! A perfect meal, great for appetizers and delicious over a salad - seriously you can't go wrong!
Tips for purchasing fresh shrimp
- buy shrimp on the day you're going to use it.
- seafood should smell like the ocean - not fishy or spoiled.
- rinse and pat dry before putting on the grill.
- Add veggies to your skewers. Quick cooking veggies are perfect like asparagus, slices of zucchini, yellow squash, red or yellow onions. Peppers and tomatoes are also delicious grilled.
- BBQ Sauce is delicious - or give your shrimp kabobs a Mexican flair by sprinkling with taco or fajitas seasoning or using a shrimp marinade (this teriyaki recipe is AMAZING!).
- This plum bbq sauce is perfect with shrimp as well.
- Serve with garlic butter for dipping.
- A pinch of red pepper flakes adds a pop of heat.
- Shrimp Scampi Linguine Recipe - only minutes to make, this easy recipe is delicious!
- No breading or deep frying! Take a short cut and make Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp using frozen shrimp!
- This Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe is the best, most tender chicken marinade in a delicious easy-to-make sauce. Or if you'd prefer ribs, learn how to grill ribs here!
- Beef Shish Kabobs Recipe - these are the BEST beef kabobs.
- Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl - loaded with rice, mango and a spicy sauce, it's so easy to make!
- Grilled Shrimp Nicoise Salad Recipe - this is a salad that is a meal - delicious!
- So flavorful and easy to make, this is a quick Spicy Thai Noodle Soup with Shrimp, just like your favorite restaurant.
- Another super easy, family favorite is this Grilled Shrimp Tacos Recipe - a delicious dinner ready in just 15 minutes? Oh yes!
Here are some of my favorite sides the enjoy with this meal.
- Make a batch of Shrimp Cocktail Sauce. It makes a terrific dipper!
- Asparagus are easy to make and go so well with the grilled shrimp. Learn all the tips for how to grill asparagus here!
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad - creamy and tangy, this is a family favorite!
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans - packed with great flavor, baked beans go with any meal!
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake would be perfect for dessert!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
How to Grill Shrimp Skewers
- 1.5 lb. shrimp
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- non-stick coating for grill
- 1 lemon
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the shrimp, pat dry and thread onto bamboo skewers.
- Prepare the shrimp skewers by brushing lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with seasoning.
- Grilled the skewers 5-7 minutes total, turning once during grilling.
- Serve with wedges of fresh lemon on the side, finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Cooked shrimp will curl into a C shape.