Better than take-out - 30 minute Thai Noodle Soup Recipe has rich flavors just like your favorite restaurant! Quick and easy to make with tender shrimp, coconut milk, curry and filled with noodles this is the BEST Thai Curry Noodle Soup!
Thai Curry Noodle Soup
This is one of my favorite recipes from Freaky Friday. That's when a bunch of bloggers
This is the fourth time I've participated in Freaky Friday. Each time the recipes are just so delicious! Nicoise Shrimp Salad, Southwestern Chicken Salad Bowl and an Authentic Posole – Mexican Stew YUM!
Now it was time to check out PicNic's blog! My turn to peruse Nicole's recipes and pick one. Whatever I choose is top secret until it's revealed on the Freaky Friday blog hop!
The first thing I did, was swing by Nicole's About Me page to learn a little bit more. She lives on the tip of New Zealand, loves food and was encouraged by friends and family to start her blog - sounds like we have a lot in common huh (well except for the New Zealand part!)? 😋
I was drawn to the tab for New Zealand recipes. That's where I found delicious recipes and local cuisine.
Ultimately I ended up at the Soup tab where I found her recipe for Spicy Thai Noodle Soup. YUM! That soup was definitely calling my name!
Thai Seafood Noodle Soup
Nicole has this meal totally dialed in. Let me show you how easy it is to put together!
Ingredients for Spicy Thai Noodle Soup
- lemongrass paste
- red curry paste
- red chili paste
- red bell pepper
- yellow onion
- vegetable oil
- coconut milk
- rice or egg noodles
- fish stock
What kind of noodles are in Thai food?
Thai noodles are rice noodles, though if they are hard to find you can substitute with egg noodles or even pasta noodles in a pinch!
What is the best Thai curry paste?
What I've found easily available in the grocery store is Thai Kitchen Curry Paste - I'll leave a link for it towards the bottom of the post.
Spicy Thai Noodle Soup
How to make Thai Noodle Soup
- Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass paste, curry, cilantro, chili paste bell pepper
andonion to a blender. Pulse until it is combined into a paste.
- Add to a saucepan, sauté until it becomes fragrant.
- While it was cooking, slice the shrimp in half as pictured below.
Nextadd the chicken stock and coconut and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for five minutes, add the shrimp - simmer for five minutes longer.
- Ladle over noodles!
How easy is that?
Top each bowl with fresh cilantro, slices of fresh chili, sesame seeds and spring onions!
Rich, deep and subtly spicy flavor! I loved this, Dan did too. He was rummaging thru the refrigerator looking for seconds later in the evening!
What goes with Thai Noodle Soup
Thai Noodle Soup
Spicy Thai Noodle Soup with Shrimp
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup cilantro loosely chopped, or 1 tbsp coriander paste
- 1 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 14 oz. can *coconut cream or coconut milk (use full fat milk)
- 1 8 oz. package rice or egg noodles, cooked to al dente and rinsed. Divided between four bowls cooked al dente - the noodles will continue to cook after pouring the soup base over the top.
- 2 limes 1 lime juiced, plus additional lime wedges for serving
- 2 tbsp fish stock
- optional garnishes, cilantro, sliced red jalepenos, sesame seeds,
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and devein shrimp, slice in half (I used 21-30 count)
- Combine the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and red chili paste into a blender. Roughly chop the red pepper, onion and garlic. Add it to the blender also. Blitz until a thick paste has formed
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, add the coconut or vegetable oil. Fry the paste for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the stock and coconut and bring to a boil, Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for five minutes
- While the soup base is cooking peel and devein shrimp. Slice in half.
- Add the shrimp to the soup base, simmer for an additional five minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, cook your noodles (enough for 4 servings). Cooking the noodles according to the package directions. Divide the cooked noodles between four bowls.
- After 10 minutes, add the fish sauce. Season the soup to taste with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Divide between the bowls and top each one with fresh cilantro, slices of fresh chili, and spring onions. Serve immediately.
- *Coconut cream was not available where I shop, I used coconut milk and it was just delicious!