Best Minestrone Soup Recipe is one of those easy soups that you can put together in a snap. Use delicious vegetables from the farmer’s market or clean out your vegetable drawer and you will end up with a delicious and nutritious meal! Packed full of vegetables and beans this soup has less than 200 calories for a generous two cup serving. It’s filling enough for a complete meal!
That’s my kinda soup!
There’s a couple things I always include…zucchini, onions, carrots and celery. Those ingredients are kinda the basics of a good minestrone soup – don’t you agree? It’s full of delicious vegetables and it is a very filling meal. At only 200 calories per bowl, that sounds pretty perfect to me!
What are the ingredients for minestrone soup?
Most any vegetable is a good choice for this soup!
- swiss chard
- Brussel Sprouts
- green beans
Customize this soup with your favorite vegetables. Souper healthy ingredients – souper delicious meal!
I love this recipe because it’s an easy and healthy minestrone soup. As it simmers on the stove it fills your entire home with the most enticing aroma! It takes minimal effort and on day two? It tastes even better!
How do you make the best minestrone soup recipe?
- in a large stock pot over medium sauté the zucchini, onions, peppers and garlic until they just begin to soften
- add the beans, garlic, kale and spices and continue sautéing for again for a couple more minutes.
- next add the stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce and 2 cups of water.
- bring to a boil and loosely cover.
- simmer on the stove for about an hour stirring occasionally.
- check and adjust seasoning – you may need a bit more salt & pepper.
What spices are used in minestrone soup?
- Italian seasoning
- bay leaves
- red pepper flakes
Minestrone Soup was my one of my SIL’s Mitzi’s favorite meals and I would often serve it when she came to visit. Because the vegetables become soft and tender, some of my favorite sides to serve along with this soup is a hearty bread – focaccia or Italian bread are delicious! I’ve even served with my skillet cornbread, because who doesn’t love great cornbread?
A bright crisp Caesar Salad also pairs nicely. A hearty chop salad is another great choice! And because this meal is light and guilt free if you’re looking to splurge at dessert why not stop by the store and pick up some cannoli? The crunchy cookie and inside packed with spiced sweet cream is the perfect end to this delicious meal!
What kind of beans are used in minestrone soup?
The beans mostly commonly used are cannelloni, navy bean or kidney beans.
Oh and if you’re looking for a few more delicious vegetables soups I have a couple more favorites to share! – Easy Potato Soup is one of my most popular recipes. Pinned over twenty-four thousand times, it is cheesy and amazing. It only takes 30 minutes to make! Another you should definitely try is Roasted Tomato Vegetable Soup mmmm! This one is so good! Have you tried either of these yet?
If you would like to make the best homemade soup, be sure to visit Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide. In this free resource, I’ve compiled all of my knowledge about soup; hints, tricks and soup making tips to help you make the very best soups and stews at home! You know what I always say…. Soup is good food!!
Best Minestrone Soup Recipe
Best Minestrone Soup Recipe
- 2 small zucchini chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 cups kale chopped (spinach is a great substitute)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2-4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large stock pot over medium heat add oil and sauté the zucchini, onions, peppers and garlic until they just begin to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, garlic, kale and spices - Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and continue sautéing for again for about 2 more minutes.
- Next add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and loosely cover. Simmer on the stove for about an hour stirring occasionally. You may need to add more water to soup - just keep an eye on it. After an hour, check and adjust seasoning - you may need a bit more salt & pepper.
- If you enjoy pasta in your Minestrone Soup cook it separately and add it to the soup before serving. If you cook them together, it will absorb all the sauce. Be creative and use your favorite vegetables, enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
If you’d like to check out some other delicious Minestrone Soup recipe here are a few that caught my eye!
Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup from A Dash of Megnut – why not let the slow cooker do all of the work for you?
How to make Minestrone Soup from Foodie Crush where she shares a family recipe with a secret ingredient!
Classic Minestrone Soup from Cookie + Kate a traditional minestrone soup made with a tomato-y broth.