Filled with earthy lentils and vegetables, Mediterranean Lentil Soup is a hearty soup and easy to make. Rich and flavorful it will become your go-to meal again and again!
Next time try this Instant Pot Brown Lentil Soup Recipe.
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ A great choice for a delicious wholesome meal.
✔️ It only takes 30 minutes to make.
✔️ A quick chop of celery, carrots and onion plus some spices and you'll have dinner read in no time! This is one of our favorite healthy soups!
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make Mediterranean Lentil Soup. For the exact measurements for the orange soup, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Orange or red split lentils - though you can use brown lentils, yellow lentils or green lentils the orange/red lentils are quick cooking.
- Yellow onion, celery, carrots - great vegetables to balance out the flavors.
- Chicken stock - though you can substitute water or vegetable broth, I like the flavor combination using chicken stock.
- cumin, chili powder or a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, coriander, turmeric, yellow curry - loads of great warm mediterranean spices for this comforting soup.
- olive oil - for sautéing
- lemon juice and fresh parsley - an optional addition at the end, it's the best way to finish this delicious soup!
This is an overview of the instructions for this easy lentil soup recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Start by chopping & dicing the onion, carrot & celery.
- In a large pot on the stove top over medium heat, sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and lentils. Stir everything together and next add the liquids.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove it from the heat and finish with a fresh squeeze of lemon.
- Dutch Oven
Golden or orange lentils are members of the legume family. They are small in size, only about ¼ inch in diameter. Their flavor is mild and buttery.
Lentils are high in fiber and low in calorie - they are wholesome and Harty!
In the refrigerator this soup will keep for three to five days. Frozen it will keep up to three months!
No need to soak them, they cook in a short period of time.
They are actually part of the same family as beans. Great choice for a healthier lifestyle.
Substitute 4 cups of water or vegetable for the chicken broth if you'd prefer a vegan lentil soup.
For a meaty version, add a half pound of mild Italian sausage.
Refrigerate - allow to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container up to three days in the refrigerator.
Freezer - this soup freezes well up to three months.
Reheat - thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave until hot.
I'm such a fan of lentil soup, I've developed a couple for the blog. If you like this one, be sure and try my Instant Pot Lentil Soup - great flavor and so delicious!
Another is Lentil and Sausage Soup. The earthy flavor of the lentils goes so well with sausage!
Here are a few more of my favorite soup recipes!
- Chicken Tetrazzini Soup is filled with tender chicken, mushrooms and egg noodles. It's a rich, creamy soup that only takes 30 minutes to make!
- Carrot Soup Recipe - this lovely soup is rich, fragrant and costs pennies to make - it's so good!
- Love a great Potato Soup Recipe? Be sure to try this yummy old fashioned recipe!
Skillet Cornbread would be amazing as well. I love fresh cornbread. I dare you to eat just one slice!
If you enjoy soup and salad make an Outback Wedge Salad to serve alongside your meal.
Mediterranean Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 cup dried orange lentils
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon yellow curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ lemon optional
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Dice the onion, carrots and celery.
- Heat a heavy stock pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the vegetables. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until they just begin to soften.
- Next add the spices. Stir them in and mix well with the vegetables - add the lentils and sauté for another minute and add the stock & water.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce to medium low and continue to simmer the soup, stirring occasionally. It will take about another 15 minutes until the lentils are completely cooked.
- When the lentils are cooked, remove from the heat and finish by squeezing the juice of half a lemon into the soup, stir to combine and serve.