Creamy and rich Chicken Tetrazzini Soup is a quick and easy meal your whole family will love! Tender chicken, earthy mushrooms and creamy jack cheese make this savory and delicious. Get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less! This post has been updated from April 17, 2017 to improve reader experience.
Chicken Tetrazzini Soup
I am happy to report the weather is finally beginning to turn here. How’s it looking in your neck of the woods? Up in Oregon, my folks are still getting snow and ice – yuck!
Here, they are predicting 78 by the end of the weekend, yay!!!
Living in the midwest it seemed like March was always the hardest month. You know spring is around the corner, but it’s not here quite yet and there’s always so much snow!
So I’ve been sneaking in a few more soups and stews, how about you? Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, Chicken and Dumpling Soup and Chicken Noodle Soup it’s hard to pick a favorite! I figured while we’re waiting for it to warm up everywhere…. I’d serve you another yummy soup too!
Grab your spoon, because you’re going to love this one! Seriously this stew is so good you will literally be standing at the stove with a spoon! Don’t say I didn’t warn you! 😄
It’s really easy too – you’re going to love that part. Only 30 minutes to make for dinner deliciousness!
Chicken Tetrazzini Soup Recipe
Grocery list for Chicken Tetrazzini Soup
- cooked chicken
- egg noodles
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- sliced mushrooms
- half and half (or whole milk)
- Monterey jack cheese
- chicken broth
- sweet sherry
- parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
What makes a Tetrazzini?
Typically it’s diced chicken or seafood with mushrooms in a butter or cream sauce. That’s why turning this traditional meal into a soup makes it that much more delicious. It’s a great meal and you’ll love it!
Is Tetrazzini Italian?
Surprisingly no! It’s an American dish that originated in San Francisco named after the Italian opera star Luisa Tetrazzini.
What goes Chicken Tetrazzini Soup besides salad?
Does this soup freeze well?
This recipe makes eight generous servings and will also freeze well. I always remove a couple servings and tuck them into the freezer before our first meal because that way on those days I do not want to cook, dinner is already done!
Steps to make Chicken Tetrazzini Soup
- Chop rotisserie chicken, onions and slice the mushrooms.
- Melt butter and olive oil. Saute onions and mushrooms seasoning with salt & pepper
- Add the minced garlic and saute.
- Sprinkle with flour. Stir coating the vegetables until the flour is cooked. Next add the sherry, stir and scrape all of the bits from the bottom of the pan. Then add the chicken stock.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring and you’ll see the mixture thickens.
- Add the pasta. Continue to stir while it cooks to keep it from sticking. Cook the pasta according to the required cooking time on the package.
- When there are two minutes remaining to cook the pasta, add the cheese and milk. Continue stir until the cheese is melted, the cream is stirred thru and the pasta is cooked.
If you’re looking to add some extra veggies to your meal, add a cup of frozen peas or a couple of handfuls of spinach at the very end. The greens add delicious flavor and texture.
Only thirty minutes and this big pot of Chicken Tetrazzini Soup will be ready to serve! Garnish with chopped chives (if desired).
Wa-la! Dinner is done!
The hardest part of this meal is not standing at the stove with a spoon dipping out all of this creamy pasta goodness. This is so creamy and amazing!
More of my favorite Soup Recipes!
And if you want all of my tips and tricks to make the BEST homemade soups at home – this is where to click!
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you! If you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Somehow… I lost my measuring spoons, no idea how that could happen! I have my eye on these!
Chicken Tetrazzini Soup
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded cubed
- 1 1/2 cups egg noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Shred the rotisserie chicken, dice the onions and mushrooms.
- Melt butter & add olive oil. Sauté the onions and mushrooms for about five minutes. Season with salt & pepper, add the minced garlic. Continue to sauté for about a minute more.
- Next sprinkle with flour. Stir and coat the vegetables until the flour is cooked, about another minute. Now it’s time to add the sherry. Stir it thru and scrape up all of the little bits off the bottom of the pan.
- When you’ve cooked out the wine, add the chicken stock and water. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- Add the pasta and continue to stir it while it cooks. This will keep it from sticking. Cook the pasta according to the required cooking time on the package.
- The last two minutes of pasta cooking time, add the cheese and half & half. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted, the cream is stirred thru and the pasta is cooked.
- If you are adding frozen peas or fresh spinach, add them when the cooking is complete. The heat from the soup will perfectly cook the vegetables. Serve and enjoy!
Sign up for emails here!Don't worry, we don't share emails!