Creamy and rich Chicken Tetrazzini Soup is a quick and easy meal your whole family will love! Tender chicken, earthy mushrooms and creamy jack cheese make this a savory and delicious stew. Get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less!
Next time try Old Fashioned Hamburger Noodle Casserole
Why you'll love this recipe
And I think you'll really like this soup as well - here's why!
✔️ It's really easy to make and the perfect dinner.
✔️ Only 30 minutes from start to finish before you ring the dinner bell!
✔️ This stew is so good you will literally be standing at the stove with a spoon! Don't say I didn't warn you! 😄
It's really easy too - you're going to love that part. Only 30 minutes to make dinner? Perfect!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- leftover chicken - you can use any precooked chicken, just shred or dice. Leftover turkey would be delicious also.
- egg noodles, uncooked spaghetti noodles or fettuccini pasta
- butter and extra virgin olive oil
- yellow onion
- sliced mushrooms
- half and half (or whole milk)
- Monterey jack cheese
- chicken broth
- sweet sherry - substitute white wine in a pinch.
- parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
This is an overview of the instructions for the easy chicken tetrazzini recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Chop rotisserie chicken, onions and slice the mushrooms.
- Melt butter and olive oil. Saute onions and cook mushrooms together, seasoning with salt & pepper
- Add the minced garlic and saute.
- Sprinkle with flour. Stir coating the vegetables until the flour is cooked. Next add the sherry, stir and scrape all of the bits from the bottom of the pan. Then add the chicken stock.
- Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil, stirring and you'll see the mixture thickens.
- Add the pasta. Continue to stir while it cooks to keep it from sticking. Cook the pasta according to the required cooking time on the package.
- When there are two minutes remaining to cook the pasta, add the cheese and milk. Continue to stir the amazing creamy broth until the cheese is melted, the cream is stirred thru and the pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Only thirty minutes and this big pot of easy Tetrazzini Soup will be ready to serve! Garnish with chopped chives (if desired).
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Somehow... I lost my measuring spoons, no idea how that could happen! I have my eye on these!
Typically it's diced chicken or seafood with mushrooms in a butter or cream sauce. That's why turning this traditional meal into a soup makes it that much more delicious. It's a great meal and you'll love it!
Surprisingly no! It's an American dish that originated in San Francisco named after the Italian opera star Luisa Tetrazzini.
Sandwiches of course! A grilled vegetable sandwich or this Greek Crouton Sandwich would be another great choice. This meal is creamy and rich. A lighter sandwich is the best choice.
Yes it freezes great. I always remove a couple servings and tuck them into the freezer before our first meal because that way on those days I do not want to cook, dinner is already done!
- Don't allow the soup to boil after you've added the cream as it could curdle. Just gently stir and warm the soup until it's ready to serve.
- A teaspoon of lemon zest added at the very end will bright the flavors of this rich creamy soup.
- For all my tips to make the BEST Homemade Soup: A Complete Guide. It will answer all of your questions and give you plenty of recipes and ideas as well. All my tips and tricks in just one place.
The hardest part of this meal is not standing at the stove with a spoon dipping out all of this creamy pasta goodness. This is so creamy and amazing!
If you're looking to add some extra veggies to your meal, add a cup of frozen peas or a couple of handfuls of spinach at the very end. The greens add delicious flavor and texture.
No milk, heavy cream or half and half? Substitute with a combination of sour cream mixed with cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup. Add a can of water to dilute it. Whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust flavors.
An ounce of cream cheese melted into the soup would add a nice tangy bite! Mozzarella cheese would be amazing as well.
Wa-la! Dinner is done!
Refrigerate - allow to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container or seal tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate up to three days.
Freezer - this soup freezes well for three months.
Reheat - place in refrigerator, thaw overnight. Reheat on the stovetop over medium-low to medium heat. Do not allow soup to boil.
Be sure to try this easy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole. It's all those yummy flavors in a baked pasta dish.
Another super popular recipe on the blog is the classic Tuna Casserole Recipe. It's an easy dinner filled with tender noodles, cheese, and tuna in a creamy sauce!
And more soups and stews you'll love!
And if you want all of my tips and tricks to make the BEST homemade soups at home - this is where to click!
This is such a great dinner!
- Be sure to serve this with a yummy Outback Wedge Salad (it's the perfect combination!
- These cheesy Pizza Hut breadsticks go so well with this soup too!
- For dessert you can indulge a little bit and enjoy the over-the-top rich Better Than Sex Cake!
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you! If you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over
Chicken Tetrazzini Soup Recipe
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, shredded cubed
- 1 ½ cups egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup sweet sherry
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Shred the rotisserie chicken, dice the onions and mushrooms.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter & add olive oil. Sauté the onions and mushrooms for about five minutes. Season with salt & pepper, add the minced garlic. Continue to sauté for about a minute more.
- Next sprinkle with flour. Stir and coat the vegetables until the flour is cooked, about another minute. Now it’s time to add the sherry. Stir it thru and scrape up all of the little bits off the bottom of the pan.
- When you’ve cooked out the wine, add the chicken stock and water. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- Add the pasta and continue to stir it while it cooks. This will keep it from sticking. Cook the pasta according to the required cooking time on the package.
- The last two minutes of pasta cooking time, add the cheese and half & half. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted, the cream is stirred thru and the pasta is cooked.
- If you are adding frozen peas or fresh spinach, add them when the cooking is complete. The heat from the soup will perfectly cook the vegetables. Serve and enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First published April 17, 2017 updated to improve instructions, variations and tips.