What is a Greek Stuffed Crouton? It’s a Vegetarian Sandwich with crunchy toasted bread, stuffed with a delicious Greek Salad!
This weekend on The Kitchen, the theme was everything stuffed. The celebrity personalities were sharing their idea of the perfect stuffed meal & Jeff Mauro offered up a sandwich that he called a stuffed crouton so I decided that was just too fun and would be a perfect choice for a #MeatlessMonday meal.
My version is a Greek Stuffed Crouton that combines your favorite Greek Salad ingredients with crusty toasted bread. Salty feta cheese and olives, crisp romaine, cucumbers, onions and tomatoes – some dressing tops it off and offers you a more substantial meal to enjoy for lunch or dinner.
First take the bread, slice it in half and remove some of the breading – just a bit from the top will provide a good area for the salad to snug into. Then brush it with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and into the oven it goes to make it nice & crispy – just like a crouton.
From there, just pile on the cheese & salad – you’ll need to push the top down pretty hard to contain the salad and when you slice it, wrap each slice in parchment paper – contain it like you would a burrito and that will keep all the ingredients in check. Crunchy bread and fresh veggies – this is a delicious meal!
Greek Stuffed Croutons Vegetarian Sandwich
- 1 romaine lettuce crisp lettuce, chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives sliced
- ¼ cup peperoncino peppers chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- ½ english cucumber thinly sliced
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each - salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp greek salad dressing homemade or store-bought
- 1 Artisan Style Bread
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half and remove some of the excess breading. This will make it easier to stuff the sandwich. Using a pastry brush, brush the olive oil on both sides of the bread and season well with salt & pepper. Place the loaf in the preheated oven and bake until crispy and golden brown - 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the loaf of bread is browning, prepare the salad; chop or slice the romaine, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers & olives and place them in a large bowl. Top with the salad dressing and toss well.
- When the bread is nicely browned remove it from the oven and top with crumbled feta cheese. Add the salad and place the "lid" on the bread. Push down to secure, slice & serve!
- Serve excess salad along with - this makes 4 generous slices.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
**Please note the nutritional information below does not take into account the bread – use your favorite Artisan type bread and add nutritional information accordingly.