This tangy Alabama White BBQ Sauce Recipe is going to change everything you thought about traditional grilling! With mayo base, vinegar, and spices this is a southern favorite that is finger-licking good!
Another great sauce for dunking and dipping is this Plum BBQ Sauce Recipe, it's perfect on pork and great on sweet potatoes!
Why you'll love this easy sauce
A good sauce can make a meal, wouldn't you agree? When you slather it on bbq chicken, steak or pork - mmmm.... delicious! Or just have some nearby for dunking like this pollo tropical cilantro garlic sauce - YUM!
BUT.... have you ever tried Alabama White BBQ Sauce? If you love the tang of a great sauce, this will take your bbq to the next level!
Goes without saying it's great on BBQ, right? Chicken, pork, shrimp - YUM!!! BUT it's equally good on fries or as a salad dressing! I especially love it on chicken tortilla salad.
Let me tell you, this recipe is brilliant. It's tangy, sweet and creamy and perfect accompaniment to your next meal!
Unlike your traditional bbq sauce recipe this is mayonnaise based. Here are the basic ingredients for the Alabama White Sauce!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- mayonnaise - Greek Yogurt would be a lower fat option and would add a great tang.
- apple cider vinegar - white vinegar would also be great
- mustard - I used yellow but Dijon or spicy brown mustard would be delicious as well.
- horseradish - creamy or prepared
- salt, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika - all spices you have on-hand.
- Worcestershire sauce and fresh lemon juice - for even more tanginess
- hot sauce - just a dash or two! No hot sauce? Use a pinch or two of cayenne pepper.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom! But honestly, this recipe doesn't get any easier, you're going to love how simple it is to make!
- Measure the ingredients.
- Add everything to a jar.
- Whisk together and refrigerate!
- Mop it on the chicken breasts when you're grilling, dip your French fries - both potato or sweet potato fries are especially fabulous! Burgers, chicken wings, shrimp, you name it.
It lasts for 3-4 days in the days (in most kitchens....) but certainly not ours because we eat it quickly!
This rich Alabama BBQ Sauce is a bbq staple with rich flavor. Did I mention how amazing this is? Seriously, you should make this today!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You really don't need much to make this sauce. Just some measuring spoons (I like these because they fit in the spice jars) and a mason jar with a screw top lid to make it easy to mix!
However don't feel like you need to buy a special jar. An olive or small pickle jar will work just fine!
Unlike a traditional barbecue sauce recipe, this one starts with mayonnaise and tangy vinegar, it has a zippy flavor that's perfect for basting chicken, pork or shrimp.
It has a mayonnaise base, it's tangy, creamy, a little spicy and a little sweet. If you want to up your BBQ game, give this a try!
It was invented in northern Alabama. Hence the name Alabama White BBQ Sauce Recipe by Robert Gibson at Big Bob Gibson bar-b-q. It's said that smoked chicken is pulled from the pit and smothered in a pool of sauce!
I definitely need to go visit!
It will last about three to five days refrigerated.
Make it ahead - this will last about three days. Just cover it and put it in the refrigerator.
Use a dry rub first and then slather the chicken with sauce as you're grilling.
Be sure to make extra and serve it alongside with plenty to pass. Whether it's in bowls or squeeze bottles, everyone will appreciate dousing and dunking!
Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated up to three days.
Use this tangy sauce on your favorite bbq - beef brisket, pulled pork or pork shoulder, delicious! Or slather it on bread for a great sandwich spread.
If you're looking for some great recipes to try with this sauce, here are a few of my favorites:
- Chili Lime Chicken, smoked chicken or shredded - serve this drizzled over the chicken or use it for dipping chicken tenders, delicious!
- These caramelized brown sugar pork chops are so good and serving mopped with this condiment? Super yummy!
- I love the simplicity of grilled shrimp, super quick and a great meal. Serve this homemade bbq sauce alongside to douse the shrimp in!
- Make these super tender Ribs on the Grill and serve the white bbq sauce alongside for dipping, delish!
- This tender bbq tri tip recipe is fabulous dunked in this sauce!
This is such a versatile condiment, it's even terrific for dipping fries, especially sweet potato fries!
- My go-to sauce for an easy tasty dip is Pollo Tropical Garlic Sauce.
- Tzatziki Sauce - Greek Yogurt Dip is bright and tangy.
- A little spicy this creamy Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce is great for French fries, fried onions and potato chips!
- Smashburger Sauce Recipe - great for hamburgers and terrific for dipping fries too!
- Kansas City BBQ Sauce - this classic ketchup based sweet sauce is a must-have for every bbq enthusiast!
For more amazing grilling recipes you can find a complete Summer Grilling Menu here!
💭 Recipe backstory
This recipe is from a blog hop. I was assigned Jennifer's blog at Take Two Tapas. Have you visited her blog yet? There she specializes in small bites and cocktails. Fun finger food with loads of flavor.
It's always so much fun going through the blog and deciding which recipe to share with you and so hard to do. For this event I decided on her recipe for White Barbeque Sauce! This is the recipe I've made again and again!
Alabama White BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar white or apple cider
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard Dijon or spicy brown optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- 2 dashes hot sauce optional
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Measure the ingredients.
- Add everything to a jar and whisk to combine.
- Refrigerate until use.
- Using a mop it's terrific sopped on bbq and great drizzled on a salad. Perfect as a dipper for fries and vegetables also!