Quick and easy, hands down the BEST Enchilada Sauce Recipe ever! Made with warm, spicy chili powder, earthy cumin and bright oregano. Step by step directions on how to make red enchilada sauce with authentic flavor and taste! This sauce is thick, rich and luscious plus only takes 15 minutes to make? First Published: May 3,2018… Last Updated: May 21, 2019
PIN IT HERE!!!
How to Make Red Enchilada Sauce
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Are you planning a party? If so I seriously have you covered! We’re having a party over here with the gal’s from #FreakyFriday!
You remember what that is right? It’s when a bunch of us bloggers get together. We are assigned another colleague’s blog and get to choose, makes and share one of their recipes! This time I get to share a recipe from Life Currents!
I was super excited to be assigned Debi’s blog because I’ve known her “virtually” for the last couple of years. Deb has quite a mix on her blog where shares her love of food, DIY projects, research and more. Please make sure you head over to check out her blog and spend some time to get to know her better!
Debi and I have shared some friendly banter back and forth. We are both football fans – Debi is a Seattle Seahawk Fan and of course I’m a Green Bay Packer’s fan! We’ve jabbed each other here and there. It’s a friendly competition and always in good fun!
There are just so many delicious options! After looking at the calendar and realizing Cinco de Mayo is (almost) here, I decided I had to share something for party fun.
But I kept coming back to this enchilada sauce!
How to make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
And you can see why, right? It’s quick easy and so flavorful – here are the steps to make enchilada sauce.
How to make the best enchilada sauce
- in a large skillet whisk flour and chili powder together until it’s combined
- add the oil, and whisk to combine, heat on low for 2 minutes, or until fragrant
- turn the heat up to medium, add broth, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin, whisking to combine
- bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, for 10 minutes, until sauce thickens and smooths out.
- this makes about 3 cups of sauce
Best Enchilada Sauce
What can I use enchilada sauce for?
- enchiladas – well I guess that goes without saying, right?!!! 🤣
- drizzled over spicy nachos!
- make a spicy Tex-Mex Pizza!
- swim some tamales in this heavenly sauce
- turn an ordinary pork roast into a fiesta with this braising liquid!
- how about lasagna Mexican style?!!
- top off a great tex-mex salad
- add to your Spanish rice for authentic flavor!
- huevos rancheros – doesn’t that sound delicious?
- chicken tortilla soup (you know I was going to work a soup into this right?!!)
How to Make Red Enchilada Sauce with Chili Powder
This is a simple sauce to make in fact you may have everything you need in your pantry and spice cabinet!
Shopping list for enchilada sauce
- red chili powder
- chicken or vegetable stock
I’ve made this sauce a couple of times now! The first night I made stacked cheese enchiladas and tonight roll chicken enchiladas – both were just amazing! If you love delicious Mexican food, I know you’ll really enjoy this recipe!
It’s easy to make and just has the BEST flavor! The warm, spicy chili powder, earthy cumin and bright oregano are the perfect combination. This makes an authentic enchilada sauce that is thick, rich and luscious!
A Dish of Daily Life – Korean BBQ Chicken Skewers • An Affair from the Heart – Everything Bagel Dip • A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures – Cottage Cheese and Pinto Bean Salsa • Bacon Fatte – No Bake Strawberry Shortcake Dessert • Hostess at Heart – Rhubarb Oat Muffins • LeMoine Family Kitchen – Brown Sugar Jalapeño Bacon • Life Currents – French Onion Tart • Lisa’s Dinnertime Dish – Tuscan Pork Sheet Pan Dinner • Mildly Meandering – Roasted Red Pepper Dip • Seduction in the Kitchen – Caprese Tortellini Skewers • Take Two Tapas – Mexican Beer Cheese Skillet • West Via Midwest – Reuben Totchos • Who Needs a Cape? – Raspberry Daiquiri Pie
Items you may also need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Cast Iron Skillet – no kitchen should be without a great skillet! Cast Iron is affordable and cooks so evenly!
So are you planning something fun for the weekend? Are you going to a fiesta or will you be having some cervesas at home? I’d love to hear what your plans are!
If you love this sauce as much as we do, be sure to comment below and give it a five star rating!
Best Enchilada Sauce
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp oil olive, canola or avocado oil
- 2 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- In a large skillet mix flour and chili powder together. Whisk it together well until it's throughly combined.
- Add oil, and whisk to combine. Heat on low for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Turn the heat up to medium, add broth, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin, stirring to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, for 10 minutes, until sauce thickens and smooths out.
- Add salt and sugar, and taste for seasonings, adjusting to taste.