Quick and easy, hands down the BEST sauce ever! Made with warm, spicy chili powder, earthy cumin and bright oregano. This authentic enchilada sauce makes every dish taste that much better.
This will be your favorite homemade sauce - you'll never use canned again!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
This is hands down the best red chili enchilada sauce you will ever try! What makes it so different from what you get in a can? It is rich and hearty and has a wonderful smoky flavor. The thick, flavorful sauce clings to corn or flour tortillas. It is so good!
Unlike the canned stuff, this homemade authentic Mexican recipe has no preservatives and it's just like your favorite Mexican restaurant!
It doesn't take long to make and will become your favorite enchilada sauce recipe, I promise you!
For the exact measurements for the red chili enchilada sauce recipe, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- red chilies powder
- all-purpose flour
- extra virgin olive oil, I've also used vegetable oil
- chicken stock or vegetable broth
- tomato paste - be sure you use paste and not tomato sauce, the flavor is much more intense.
- dried oregano - I use Mexican oregano (found in the ethnic food aisle). If you're not able to regular oregano works just fine - just be careful not to overdo as too much can have a bitter flavor.
- salt and sugar
You only need a handful of simple ingredients!
I've made this red chile sauce several times now! The first night I made stacked cheese homemade enchiladas and tonight rolled chicken enchiladas - both were just amazing! Your meal will equal those of your favorite Mexican restaurants!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 12" cast iron skillet - I prefer using cast-iron to make this recipe
- wooden spoons for cooking - this set is great as it includes a spoon, scraper and slotted spoon.
Step by step instructions to make homemade red enchilada sauce recipe with chili powder. Using simple pantry ingredients, you probably have everything you need! If you don't these ingredients are readily available at your local grocery store!
- Whisk the flour and chili powder in a large skillet until it is combined.
- Over low heat, slowly add the oil, whisking the entire time. Heat oil and continue to cook for two minutes until it's fragrant.
- Next turn the stove up to medium heat. Add the broth, tomato paste, oregano and cumin - keep whisking!
- Bring the red chili enchilada sauce to a boil, reduce to low heat and cook uncovered for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and is completely smooth.
It's easy to make and just has the BEST flavor! The warm, spicy chili powder, earthy cumin and bright oregano are the perfect combinations. This makes an authentic enchilada sauce that is thick, rich and luscious!
Enchilada sauce gets it's heat from chilis where taco sauce is spicer! It's heat comes from cayenne peppers!
The difference between green enchilada sauce and salsa verde is enchilada sauce is cooked, where the majority of the ingredients are raw. Enchilada sauce is blended with stock or water. Salsa verde doesn't not have stock added.
Be sure to fry the corn tortillas shells briefly in oil. It creates a barrier and keeps the shells from soaking up too much sauce and getting soggy.
You're going to love this homemade version so much, be sure to make a double batch to freeze!
Make this homemade red sauce gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour.
Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder; it will enrich the sauce and give it incredible flavor.
Allow to come to room temperature and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to three days. Freeze up to three months in a freezer-safe container.
Delicious Homemade Enchilada Sauce
I know once you make this delicious authentic red enchilada sauce recipe you'll never buy the stuff in a can again. It's easy to make and delicious on just about everything! Here are some great recipes and ideas!
- black bean or cheese enchiladas, chicken or beef enchiladas stacked or rolled - well I guess that goes without saying, right?!!! 🤣
- drizzled over spicy nachos!
- make a spicy Tex-Mex Pizza!
- swim some tamales in this heavenly sauce
- turn an ordinary pork roast into a fiesta with this braising liquid!
- how about lasagna Mexican style?!!
- add to your Spanish rice for authentic flavor!
- Make an amazing cheese enchilada casserole - yum!
- huevos rancheros - doesn't that sound delicious?
- chicken tortilla soup (you know I was going to work a soup into this right?!!)
Still hungry? Here are more yummy Mexican food recipes try next time!
- Roasted Salsa Verde Recipe - delicious and authentic
- Chicken Pozole Verde - so savory and delicious
- Roasted Hatch Green Chiles - roasting the chiles gives it the smokey flavor
- Authentic Posole Recipe; Mexican Stew - easy and SO fabulous!!
- Mexican Albondigas Soup (Meatball Soup) - one of my favorites!
- Easy enchilada
So are you planning something fun for the weekend? Are you going to a fiesta or will you be having some cervesas at home? I'd love to hear what your plans are!
If you love this sauce as much as we do, be sure to comment below and give it a five star rating!
Easy Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoon oil olive, canola or avocado oil
- 2 cups chicken broth can substitute vegetable both
- 1 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- In a large saucepan or skillet mix flour and chile powder together. Whisk it together well until it's thoroughly combined.
- Add oil, and whisk to combine. Heat on low for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Turn the heat up to medium, add broth, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin, stirring to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, for 10 minutes, until sauce thickens and smooths out.
- Add salt and sugar, and taste for seasonings, adjusting to taste.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
This recipe was part of a blog hop and a recipe I shared from Life Currents! I was able to peruse her blog to choose which recipe I would be sharing which is always so hard to do!
Would it be her recipe for Mexican Corn Salad or Mushroom Asada? Honestly this Avocado Sauce is totally to die for! I finally nailed it down to her recipe for this delicious sauce! Read more about the blog hop below under the recipe card.
This was originally shared as part of the freaky Friday blog hop!
I was super excited to be assigned Debi's blog because I've known her "virtually" for the last couple of years. Deb has quite a mix on her blog where shares her love of food, DIY projects, research and more. Please make sure you head over to check out her blog and spend some time to get to know her better!
Debi and I have shared some friendly banter back and forth. We are both football fans - Debi is a Seattle Seahawk Fan and of course I'm a Green Bay Packer's fan! We've jabbed each other here and there. It's a friendly competition and always in good fun!
It was great going thru her blog, but tough to pick a recipe to share with you.
There are just so many delicious options! After looking at the calendar and realizing Cinco de Mayo is (almost) here, I decided I had to share something for party fun.
First published May 3, 2018 - Last updated May 29, 2021