Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe is a feast of rich flavors and so incredibly delicious! Everyone loves this simple meal and it's great if you are serving a crowd! Tons of flavor but so simple to make!!
If you have never tried huevos rancheros, you're in for a treat! This dish is spicy and rich and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
What is huevos rancheros?
This is a dish with baked or poached eggs served on a bed of refried beans on a tortilla. Smothered in ranchero sauce and topped with cheese, it's rich and delicious!
What is ranchero sauce made of?
Ranchero sauce is a tomato based sauce spiced with peppers. To substitute you can use red enchilada sauce (this is a great recipe!) or red chili sauce.
No time to make your own sauce? Use storebought that's what I did. No judgment!!!
Grocery List for Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- corn tortillas
- refried beans or black beans
- red enchilada or red chili sauce (canned works just fine!)
- cheddar, cojita or pepper jack cheese
I love making this in a cast iron skillet. It's pretty enough to go right from the oven to the table for brunch. If you're serving a large crowd, use your favorite casserole dish and double the ingredients.
How to make Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Preheat the oven.
- For a little extra flavor, toast the tortillas - totally optional!
- Using an ovenproof skillet arrange the tortillas in the skillet, closely so they form a "taco" shape.
- Fill the tortillas with refried beans and top with enchilada sauce.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Make a divot with the back of a spoon in each tortilla. Crack an egg into the middle of each tortilla.
- Top with cheese, season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
Optional toppings for Huevos Rancheros
- sliced avocado
- pico de gallo
- minced onions
- minced cilantro
- sour cream
- hot sauce
What to serve with Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe?
Freshly squeezed orange juice is the perfect beverage to accompany this meal. I harvested some oranges from the side yard and made delicious freshly squeezed orange juice to enjoy with our meal!
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- A cast iron skillet will last for years - mine was my Grandma's and has been in our family for over 75 years!
Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- 5-6 eggs
- 5-6 corn tortillas
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- 1 10 oz Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used a combination of cojita and pepper jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toast the tortillas (if desired) for extra flavor.
- Arrange tortillas in skillet so they form a "taco" shape.
- Evenly distribute the refried beans. Fill each tortilla with a heaping spoonful of beans, forming a pool in the middle with the back of your spoon.
- Top each tortilla with enchilada sauce, pouring any excess over the beans.
- Put into a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top each "taco shell" with one egg. *
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the oven for 8-10 minutes depending on how you firm you like your eggs.