Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe is a feast of rich flavors and so incredibly delicious! Everyone loves this simple meal and it’s great if you are serving a crowd! Tons of flavor but so simple to make!!
This post has been updated from April 2015 to improve reader experience in April 1019.
If you have never tried huevos rancheros, you’re in for a treat! This dish is spicy and rich and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
What is huevos rancheros?
This is a dish with baked or poached eggs served on a bed of refried beans on a tortilla. Smothered in ranchero sauce and topped with cheese, it’s rich and delicious!
What is ranchero sauce made of?
Ranchero sauce is a tomato based sauce spiced with peppers. To substitute you can use red enchilada sauce (this is a great recipe!) or red chili sauce.
No time to make your own sauce? Use storebought that’s what I did. No judgment!!!
Grocery List for Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Eggs from Egglands Best
- corn tortillas
- refried beans or black beans
- red enchilada or red chili sauce (canned works just fine!)
- cheddar, cojita or pepper jack cheese
I love making this in a cast iron skillet. It’s pretty enough to go right from the oven to the table for brunch. If you’re serving a large crowd, use your favorite casserole dish and double the ingredients.
How to make Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Preheat the oven.
- For a little extra flavor, toast the tortillas – totally optional!
- Using an ovenproof skillet arrange the tortillas in the skillet, closely so they form a “taco” shape.
- Fill the tortillas with refried beans and top with enchilada sauce.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Make a divot with the back of a spoon in each tortilla. Crack an egg into the middle of each tortilla.
- Top with cheese, season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
Optional toppings for Huevos Rancheros
- sliced avocado
- pico de gallo
- minced onions
- minced cilantro
- sour cream
- hot sauce
What to serve with Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe?
Freshly squeezed orange juice is the perfect beverage to accompany this meal. I harvested some oranges from the side yard and made delicious freshly squeezed orange juice to enjoy with our meal!
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- A cast iron skillet will last for years – mine was my Grandma’s and has been in our family for over 75 years!
- Grab your GROSCHE Infuser Bottle here.
Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- 5-6 eggs
- 5-6 corn tortillas
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- 1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used a combination of cojita and pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toast the tortillas (if desired) for extra flavor.
- Arrange tortillas in skillet so they form a “taco” shape.
- Evenly distribute the refried beans. Fill each tortilla with a heaping spoonful of beans, forming a pool in the middle with the back of your spoon.
- Top each tortilla with enchilada sauce, pouring any excess over the beans.
- Put into a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top each “taco shell” with one egg. *
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the oven for 8-10 minutes depending on how you firm you like your eggs.