Homemade Barbacoa Beef Tacos
Today we're talking melt in your mouth tender, drool-worthy Homemade Barbacoa Beef Tacos. The beef is super easy to make and braised to perfection. If you love a flavorful meal these are the tacos for you.
I'm here in Fresno and remember I'm always talking about our delicious Mexican food! What's amazing is some of the tiniest spots have the very best tacos for only two dollars! Next time you head this way, you let me know and I'll hook you up with some of our favorites!
So I was thinking about what to make next and I decided my goal was to be able to enjoy a great taqueria meal at home. Of course it had to be easy and use ingredients you have on hand. Most importantly it had to be full of flavor and completely delicious!
My tacos are topped with simple ingredients - fresh jalepanos, radishes and cabbage. But you can always add in chunks of avocado, a squeeze of fresh lime and some nice spicy salsa!
Don't forget to char the tortillas. If you have a gas stove, that's easy to do - put them right over the flame. You can to this easily on the grill also. No gas grill? No problem! Toast them in your fry pan until the edges are browned. This extra step (that really only takes minutes!) will give your tacos even more flavor!
Here's how you make Barbacoa Beef - first prepare the spice mix. Measure the cumin, garlic, coriander, chili powder, oregano and salt - combine and mix together well, set aside.
Next prepare the roast - I used a 3 ¼ pound rump roast. Using a paper towel, blot the meat to remove the moisture. Then coat lightly with olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper. Sear it well on ALL sides - I'm talking a brown crusty sear. Five minutes per side.
See all the brown bits around the edges of the pot above? That's the kind of sear you're looking for. Next remove the roast from the pan and add onions and saute for five minutes, after five minutes add a can of fire roasted and half the seasoning with half the spice mix.
Nestle the roast into the sauteed onions and tomatoes, cover tightly and into the oven it goes. For all of the instructions, print the recipe below!
Barbacoa Beef Tacos
- 3 pound chuck roast 3 to 3 ½ pound roast
- 2 chipotle peppers minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt divided
- 14 ounce beef broth
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- First prepare the spice mix. Measure the cumin, garlic, coriander, chili powder, oregano and salt - combine and mix together well, set aside.
- Next prepare the roast - Using a paper towel, blot the meat to remove the moisture. Then coat lightly with olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper and the seasoning mix. Sear it well on ALL sides - I'm talking a brown crusty sear. Five minutes per side.
- Add the remaining ingredients.Cover tightly and insert into a 350 degree oven for three hours. When complete shred with two forks.
- Serve over rice and top with your favorite toppings!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Looking for more deliciousness? This slow braised Posole Mexican Stew is one of my favorite meals - braised pork simmered with hominy this is one of the most amazing bowls you'll try!
Lighten up your meal with some easy Baja Fish Tacos, lots of flavor with a super easy marinade, always delicious!
If you have some vegetarian friends these Roasted Vegetable Tacos are a delicious choice - one of my favorite vegetarian tacos!