Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
It’s a challenge to decide what to write about on the blog. What would you like to cook? What would I like to make? Well, as I was planning out 2015, rather than guess I did the next best thing. I asked my family & friends what they would like to see. Resoundingly the answers were;
- Weekday Meals – 30 minutes or less
- Healthy Slow Cooker or One Pot Meals
- Soups – Preferably healthy ones!
Awesome! It was great to get clear direction and so that’s what I’ve been focusing on. I started putting together this post (it’s actually three meals in one) but the post was really long. And frankly rather confusing, so rather than make one giant blog post, I’ve broken it into three. This first post will focus on delicious tacos, the second an awesome soup and the third, fabulously easy chimichangas! All of this starts from….you guessed it, your slow cooker!
So, time to get out your slow cooker! For easy chicken tacos – you’ll need 3 pounds of chicken, white or dark meat (I used dark meat for this recipe). Into the crockpot it goes along with a jar of picante sauce, chicken broth, an onion, cilantro, cumin, garlic, a bay leaf – lastly, some salt & pepper. Cover and walk away – 8-10 hours on low. This is what you’ll have when you come home.
The beginnings of a great fiesta! Take the chicken meat out of the sauce.
And with a couple of forks, shred the meat. It will just take a few minutes. When you are finished shredding, you’ll have about 8+ cups of shredded chicken meat.
Take 1 1/2 cups of the shredded meat & put it back in the slow cooker. Put an additional 1 1/2 cups of meat in another container for the third meal. Turn off the slow cooker, let everything cool and tuck it into the refrigerator for meals two & three. (I’ll send you these recipes later this week) Keep both refrigerated or freeze for another meal.
With the remaining chicken (you’ll have 4-5 cups of chicken meat), it’s time to make some tacos!
Chop up some cabbage or lettuce, cilantro, onions, tomatoes – whatever you toppings you put on your taco. I also added sour cream mixed with a chipotle chili. For the shell, I like using the small street taco tortillas, but use what you like; flour soft shell, crunchy corn shell, whatever you enjoy most on taco night!
Depending on the size of the tacos you’ll get 8-10 large tacos or 12-16 small tacos from this meal.
Pretty sure the only thing we’re missing here is a big pitcher of Sangria!
These are seriously good! And easy! Slow cooked, moist and delicious, these are perfect for a weeknight meal or a party – everybody loves a great taco!
Slow Cooker Meal One - Chicken Tacos
Gotta love it when your slow cooker does all of the work for you! That's why these slow cooker chicken tacos are so great! Big flavor...hardly any work!
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 16 oz jar picante sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- For the tacos - tortillas cabbage, sliced tomatoes, jalepnos and salsa
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker. (except tortillas, cabbage, sliced tomatoes, jalepnos and salsa) Cover, set on low and walk away. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Set it and forget it, my favorite type of meal!
- When the meat is tender, remove it from the slow cooker (save the liquid in the slow cooker) and shred the meat with two forks. You'll have about 8 cups of shredded chicken.
- For tacos simply pile the meat on corn or flour tortillas with your favorite toppings; cabbage, salsa or pico de gallo, sour cream and jalepenos. Use the toppings that you like best! You'll have the meal on your table in 30 minutes. Flavorful, but not too spicy, this is an easy weeknight meal!
Don’t forget the containers in the refrigerator! I’ll be sending an additional emails with recipes for an AMAZING Slow Cooker Chicken Fiesta Soup and some delicious chimichangas! Three meals in one? Yes! This will make your weeknight cooking easier!