Ok, it’s time for another challenge! This one comes from Lotus Foods (and you can shop their products by clicking here!) -here’s the deal – make a vegetarian or vegan meal for #MeatlessMonday for tailgating using their delicious products – I choose to use their Organic Volcano Rice and since the New Orleans Saints play tonight on Monday Night football….Dirty Rice Black Bean Tacos seemed like the perfect recipe to share today!
Southern Style Dirty Rice and spicy Mexican Flavors combine well to make this delicious meal. Not to mention it doesn’t take long – some chopping, some sautéing and then toss in the rice and you’re pretty much good to go. Gotta love an easy meal. And don’t skimp when it comes to adding the pickled jalepenos – the bite of peppers brightens the flavors of the rice & beans – easy meal and perfect for a party or tailgating!
So to make the rice I started off with the “trinity” – celery, green pepper and onions about a cup each – to this I also added some crimini mushrooms to give it the meaty texture and earthy flavor that you’d normally get from chicken livers – the traditional addition to dirty rice. I sautéed this combo with some great flavors, Italian seasoning, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, salt & pepper to give it that dirty rice flavor.
After that I simply took a can of black beans, rinsed them super well and added 1/2 cup of salsa and some of the seasoning mixture. While the rice was cooking – I warmed the beans on the stove to combine those flavors. After I got the beans cooking I sliced some radishes & limes, grated some cheese & drained some jalepenos .
Easy? Yep! That’s just how I roll – give these at try and you’ll love the way these flavorful tacos lighten up the meal!
Lastly….though I was supplied with products from Lotus food, the recipe and thoughts are uniquely mine. I hope you try these delicious tacos with their products, they are terrific!
Dirty Rice Black Bean Tacos
- Seasoning -
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rice recommend Organic Volcano Rice
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion about 1/2 onion
- 1 cup chopped celery about 2 stalks
- 1 cup chopped green pepper about 1 bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning
- 2 cups water
- corn or flour tortillas vegetarian
- recommended garnishes - pickled jalepenos sliced radishes, shredded cheese, salsa
- Combine all of the seasonings and mix together well, set aside.
- Chop the celery, onions, green pepper and quarter the mushrooms. Heat a large pot over medium heat & add 1 tablespoon of oil - add in the vegetables and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix. Sauté for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are translucent.
- Add in 1 cup of rice and stir to combine well. Increase the heat to high and add the water. When the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat to cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Drain the can of black beans and mix well until the water runs clear. Add to a small pan on the stove and place over medium-low heat. Add in the salsa and 1 teaspoon of the seasoning. Stir occasionally.
- While the rice is cooking prepare your garnishes - then when the rice is done, assemble the tacos and enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.