Make this easy and delicious Chicken Chimichanga Recipe for a meal everyone will love! Shredded chicken, refried beans, cheese, salsa and spices rolled up burrito style and baked until crispy, topped with salsa, sour cream and guacamole!
I love it when you cook once but get to enjoy three totally separate meals, don’t you?!!!
So if you love those meals, you’ll love this one too and it’s actually Dan’s favorite of the three. It’s my favorite because it’s so easy to make AND so flavorful!
So one quick question first. Did you put away the extra chicken taco meat? Yes, perfect!
No? That’s ok! You can totally substitute with cooked shredded chicken breast. Even rotisserie chicken will be delicious!
How to make Chimichangas
What is a Chimichanga?
I was telling my friend Ang what we were having for dinner the other night and she said, “what is a chimichanga?” She lives on the east coast and had never heard of them before!
So if they are new to you also, let me explain! It’s like a burrito stuffed with beans, meat and cheese. Then deep fried until golden and crispy and let me tell you…. they are delicious!
This Chicken Chimichanga recipe is easier and healthier because we bake them – frankly, I think they are better that way too! No greasiness and they aren’t near as heavy! You will love them, I promise!
What’s the difference between a burrito and a chimichanga?
The biggest difference is burritos are not deep fried. Other than that they are quite similar! If you love a burrito, this will be a new favorite!
Are chimichangas spicy?
Not really no. Of course, you can spice it up with jalapenos or spicy salsa. It’s up to you!
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Grocery List for Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- cooked chicken meat
- flour tortillas
- chili beans or refried beans
- enchilada sauce
- grated cheddar
- taco seasoning
- optional garnishes – salsa, sour cream, avocado olives, tomatoes and onions
- non-stick cooking spray
Steps to make Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- Preheat your oven.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet by spraying with Pam or another non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain the chili beans and mash them. Add the chicken and mix together.
- Make an assembly line and prepare each tortilla filling them with the meat/bean mixture, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Fold in the sides of the shell and then roll them into a package. Lay on the baking sheet. Continue until you’ve exhausted your supply of ingredients, laying each one on the baking sheet seam side down.
- Before putting this into the oven, spray the tops and sides or brush the shells with olive oil also.
- Bake until golden and crispy!
I topped them with both red & green salsa (my friend Michelle calls this a Christmas sauce when you use both) avocado and cheese, paired with a green salad. Another easy weeknight meal!
This makes eight, so there’s certainly enough for a party!
The very last night, I took the chimichangas and covered them with just a bit of leftover Chicken Taco Soup and baked them. When they came out of the oven, I topped them with sour cream – so kind of like a fancy burrito.
This was actually my hubby’s favorite of the two, so technically there were four separate meals made with the shredded chicken meat!
More of my favorite Mexican meals and flavors!
- Pico de Gallo
- Refried Bean Dip
- Best Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- Southwest Salad Recipe
- Authentic Posole Recipe – Mexican Stew
- Green Chili Chicken Posole Recipe
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
When you make this, please tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – thank you for supporting the blog, trying and sharing my recipes!
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you!
Easy Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 shredded chicken meat
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 16 oz can of chili beans or refried beans
- 1 16 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups of salsa red or green
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Additional garnishes - avocado olives, tomatoes and onions
- No stick cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet by spraying it liberally with a non-stick coating or brushing with olive oil.
- Drain the chili beans (do not rinse) and mash them up a bit. Add the chicken, sprinkle with the taco seasoning and mix together.
- Make an assembly line and prepare each tortilla with taco meat, beans, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Fold in the sides of the shell and then roll them into a package, burrito style. Lay each on the baking sheet.
- Continue with the remaining ingredients, laying each one on the baking sheet seam side down. Before putting them into the oven, spray the tops of the shells with non-stick coating or brush with olive oil, making sure they are well covered.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden and crisp.
- Finish with your favorite toppings and enjoy!