Shredded chicken, refried beans, cheese, salsa and spices rolled up burrito-style and baked until crispy! Top your Oven Baked Chicken Chimichanga with salsa, sour cream and guacamole!
For the taco meat use this slow cooker chicken taco recipe!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ Easy to make, utilizing leftovers or rotisserie chicken.
✔️ Ditches the grease because they are baked. It's a healthier option, plus clean up is a breeze!
✔️ They are delicious - who knew something this simple could be so good!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- cooked chicken meat - cooked meat saves you a ton of time. Use leftover chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken.
- flour tortillas - traditionally used for chimichangas.
- chili beans or refried beans - homemade is great but canned works terrific too!
- red enchilada sauce - same here, I have a great recipe for homemade enchilada sauce but you can certainly use your favorite canned sauce.
- grated cheddar cheese - pepper jack would also be delicious!
- taco seasoning - homemade or packet
- optional garnishes - salsa, sour cream, avocado olives, tomatoes and onions
- non-stick cooking spray - lightly spraying before baking makes for a crispy chimichanga - delicious without all the grease!
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat your oven.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet by spraying with Pam or another non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain the chili beans and mash them. Combine chicken and beans, mix together.
- Make an assembly line and prepare each tortilla with the chicken mixture, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Fold in the sides of the shell and then roll them into a package. Lay on the baking sheet. Continue until you've exhausted your supply of ingredients, laying each one on the baking sheet seam side down.
- Before putting this into the oven, spray the tops and sides or brush the shells with olive oil also.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy. If desired, garnish with thinly sliced green onions and cilantro.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl - I love this set of nested mixing bowls. They are super light and there's a variety of sizes. They are very affordable as well!
It's like a burrito stuffed with beans, meat
The biggest difference is burritos are not deep fried. Other than that they are quite similar! If you love a burrito, this will be a new favorite!
Not really no. Of course, you can spice it up with jalapenos or spicy salsa. It's up to you!
Place the filling in the middle and fold in the sides. Roll them cigar style, finishing with the seam on the bottom. Don't overstuff them as the filling will spill out the sides.
Instead of baking in the oven, you can also use your air fryer. Preheat it to 375 degrees. Follow the instructions and instead and bake the chimichangas for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe uses soft taco sized tortillas. You can use a large flour tortilla if you'd prefer, it just won't make as many.
- Oh my goodness, there are so many great variations to this recipe! You can swap out the chicken and make beef chimichangas, yum! Use this beef recipe, it would be perfect!
- Seafood Chimichangas are also delicious - cooked shrimp would be lovely. Use this Shrimp Taco Recipe for the flavorings.
- Vegetarian Chimichangas can easily be made with sautéed red and green bell peppers, yellow onions and black beans.
- Add diced green chiles or a teaspoon of chili powder to the bean mixture to spice them up!
Refrigerate - allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container up to three days.
Reheat - Reheating in the oven will crisp up the shells and give them the best texture.
Freezer - To freeze the chimichangas, wrap them individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Freeze up to three months.
More taco recipes
- Love a great taco? Be sure to try this recipe for Puff Pastry Tacos! These are so yummy!!!
- Chilis Shrimp Tacos - just like your favorite restaurant, these are so tasty!
- Skip the steak tonight and grill Baja Fish Tacos instead.
- This Ground Beef Taco Dip is perfect party food!
- I use this Taco Seasoning whenever I make chicken or beef tacos.
- Making ground beef taco meat at home? Learn the secret to making the BEST filling!
If you're hangry for some great Mexican food and TexMex flavor, you've came to the right place!
- Try this recipe for low carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole - easy to make and a guilt-free meal.
- Of all the Crockpot Chicken Recipes, the chicken and gravy is everyone's favorite!
- If you love a great deep-fried burrito, try the Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito Recipe, they are pan-fried and just as delicious!
- Be sure to try the loaded Chicken Taco Casserole, it's a real crowd pleaser!
- Taco night? How about Taco Spaghetti? That will bring the whole family to the table!!
- Pico de Gallo - we love this bright, fresh salsa! Or if you'd prefer make this recipe for Roasted Salsa Verde. It starts with fresh tomatillos!
- You could swim the oven baked chicken chimichangas in red enchilada sauce, that would be delicious!
- On the side how about soup and salad? This Authentic New Mexico Posole Recipe is one of my favorite stews on the blog. And a Southwestern Salad would go perfectly. What a spread!
- Or if you'd prefer to stick with the chicken theme, make Pozole Verde. It's delicious as well.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you!
Oven Baked Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- 8 flour tortillas
- 16 ounce can of chili beans or refried beans
- 16 ounce can of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa
- ½ cup sour cream
- Additional garnishes - avocado olives, tomatoes and onions
- Non stick cooking spray or olive oil
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare baking sheet by spraying it liberally with a non-stick coating or brushing with olive oil.
- Drain the chili beans (do not rinse) and mash them up a bit. Add the chicken, sprinkle with the taco seasoning and mix together.
- Prepare each tortilla by placing chicken mixture, beans, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese in the center of each tortilla.
- Fold in the sides of the shell and then roll them into a package, burrito style. Lay each on the baking sheet.
- Continue with the remaining ingredients, laying each one on the baking sheet seam side down. Before putting them into the oven, spray the tops of the shells with non-stick coating or brush with olive oil, making sure they are well covered.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden and crisp.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
I topped them with both red & green salsa (my friend Michelle calls this a Christmas sauce when you use both) avocado and cheese, paired with a green salad. Another easy weeknight meal!
This makes eight, so there's certainly enough for a party!
The very last night, I took the chimichangas and covered them with just a bit of leftover Chicken Taco Soup and baked them. When they came out of the oven, I topped them with sour cream - so kind of like a fancy burrito.
This was actually my hubby's favorite of the two, so technically there were four separate meals made with shredded chicken meat!
I love it when you cook once but get to enjoy three totally separate meals, don't you?!!!
So if you love those meals, this one will be a favorite also. It's Dan's favorite of the three. It's my favorite because it's so easy to make AND so flavorful!
So one quick question first. Did you set aside the extra chicken taco meat from the slow cooker meal? Perfect!
No? That's ok too! You can totally substitute with cooked shredded chicken breast. Even rotisserie chicken will be delicious!
First published 3/1/2019 - updated 3/7/2022 to improve instructions and structure.