Easy Chicken Chimichanga Recipe – Shredded chicken, refried beans, cheese, salsa and spices rolled up burrito-style and baked until crispy! Top them with salsa, sour cream and guacamole!
I love it when you cook once but get to enjoy three totally separate meals, don’t you?!!!
So if you love those meals, this one will be a favorite also. It’s Dan’s favorite of the three. It’s my favorite because it’s so easy to make AND so flavorful!
So one quick question first. Did you set aside the extra chicken taco meat from the slow cooker meal? Perfect!
No? That’s ok too! You can totally substitute with cooked shredded chicken breast. Even rotisserie chicken will be delicious!
How to make Chimichangas
What is a Chimichanga?
I was telling my friend Ang we were having chimichangas for dinner the other night and she said, “what is a chimichanga?” She lives on the east coast and had never heard of them before!
So if they are new to you also, let me explain! It’s like a burrito stuffed with beans, meat
This easy chimichanga recipe ditches the grease because they are baked – frankly, I think they are better that way too! No greasiness and they aren’t near as heavy! You will love them, I promise!
What’s the difference between a burrito and a chimichanga?
The biggest difference is burritos are not deep fried. Other than that they are quite similar! If you love a burrito, this will be a new favorite!
Are chimichangas spicy?
Not really no. Of course, you can spice it up with jalapenos or spicy salsa. It’s up to you!
Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Ingredients for Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- cooked chicken meat – cooked meat saves you a ton of time. Use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- flour tortillas – traditionally used for chimichangas.
- chili beans or refried beans – homemade is great but canned works terrific too!
- red enchilada sauce – same here, I have a great recipe for homemade enchilada sauce but you can certainly use your favorite canned sauce.
- grated cheddar cheese – pepper jack would also be delicious!
- taco seasoning – homemade or packet
- optional garnishes – salsa, sour cream, avocado olives, tomatoes and onions
- non-stick cooking spray – lightly spraying before baking makes for a crispy chimichanga – delicious without all the grease!
Steps to make Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- Preheat your oven.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet by spraying with Pam or another non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain the chili beans and mash them. Add the chicken and mix together.
- Make an assembly line and prepare each tortilla filling them with the meat/bean mixture, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Fold in the sides of the shell and then roll them into a package. Lay on the baking sheet. Continue until you’ve exhausted your supply of ingredients, laying each one on the baking sheet seam side down.
- Before putting this into the oven, spray the tops and sides or brush the shells with olive oil also.
- Bake until golden and crispy!
I topped them with both red & green salsa (my friend Michelle calls this a Christmas sauce when you use both) avocado and cheese, paired with a green salad. Another easy weeknight meal!
This makes eight, so there’s certainly enough for a party!
The very last night, I took the chimichangas and covered them with just a bit of leftover Chicken Taco Soup and baked them. When they came out of the oven, I topped them with sour cream – so kind of like a fancy burrito.
This was actually my hubby’s favorite of the two, so technically there were four separate meals made with shredded chicken meat!
More of my favorite Mexican meals and flavors!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Measuring Spoons – I love the shape of these because they fit into spice jars
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this, please tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – thank you for supporting the blog, trying and sharing my recipes!
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you!
Easy Chimichanga Recipe
Easy Chicken Chimichanga Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 shredded chicken meat
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 16 oz can of chili beans or refried beans
- 1 16 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups of salsa red or green
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Additional garnishes – avocado olives, tomatoes and onions
- No stick cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet by spraying it liberally with a non-stick coating or brushing with olive oil.
- Drain the chili beans (do not rinse) and mash them up a bit. Add the chicken, sprinkle with the taco seasoning and mix together.
- Make an assembly line and prepare each tortilla with taco meat, beans, enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Fold in the sides of the shell and then roll them into a package, burrito style. Lay each on the baking sheet.
- Continue with the remaining ingredients, laying each one on the baking sheet seam side down. Before putting them into the oven, spray the tops of the shells with non-stick coating or brush with olive oil, making sure they are well covered.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden and crisp.
- Finish with your favorite toppings and enjoy!