30 Minute Skinny Taco Salad Bowl
You all know I live in Fresno, CA right? Fresno is well known for having THE BEST Mexican food! There are fancy restaurants, hole-in-the-wall hot-spots (my personal fav) and everything in-between. I love eating out, don't you?
BUT...eating out is hard on the budget and um....well hard on my figure too! 😀 So when I get a craving for Mexican food, this is a meal we really enjoy and I thought you would also! This Skinny Taco Salad Bowl is easy on the budget (figure too!) and on a busy night takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Ok, after you've tried this, be sure to give this recipe for taco salad casserole a try - it's delicious and another family favorite!
This is kinda meal! In fact it's family friendly too. When my niece was visiting a couple of weeks ago I made it and she loved it! (Score one for Aunt Debbie!) Gotta love those moments!
It's simple to put together. For this bowl, I use ground turkey or chicken (keeping it light!). Cook until browned. Season the meat with a homemade Taco Seasoning mix.
(On a side note, this taco seasoning mix is great! You're controlling what goes in the spice mix and what you're eating and feeding your family. You can make it as spicy or as mild as you want. Saves money making your own and you probably have everything you need in your spice cabinet.)
Of course you can substitute with a packet of prepaid taco seasoning, but why when it's so easy to make?
Sorry, took a left turn there - back to the Skinny Taco Salad!
Ok, while the meat is browning, chop some lettuce - for this bowl I use a nice crunchy romaine.
Drain and rinse black beans.
Cherry Tomatoes - just sliced in half, red onions chopped.
Two ears of fresh corn - kernels removed. (Frozen corn will work too.)
Add a small handful of tortilla strips or chips to give it great crunch!
Lastly, the dressing. It is super easy - greek yogurt mixed with your favorite salsa!
How easy is that?
Of course there are many other additions you can add like olives, guacamole, jalapeños and sour cream, but like I said at the beginning - this is a Skinny Taco Salad Bowl - quick and easy meal. This bowl simple to put together, lean and delicious!
This meal easily makes four servings. Since there's only two of us here I'll serve this one night, wait a day and serve it again or if you're looking to splurge, you have everything you need for a great pile of nachos on Friday night!
Skinny Taco Salad Bowl
- 1 lb. ground turkey can substitute chicken
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix (substitute one packet prepaid taco seasoning)
- ½ cup water
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 ears corn kernels removed (substitute one cup frozen corn, thawed)
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce chopped
- 8 oz. plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup salsa use your favorite!
- tortilla strips
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground turkey or chicken, drain. Add ½ cup water and the taco seasoning. Increase the heat until it's bubbly. Stir well to incorporate the seasoning. Remove from heat.
- While the meat is cooking, chop the lettuce and divide between four bowls.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, dice the onions, rinse the black beans really well and allow them to drain. Remove the kernels from the cob. Add these ingredients to each salad bowl equally, topping with the taco meat.
- Mix the yogurt and salsa together. Top each salad with a healthy dollop of dressing and salsa.