Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe is hearty and delicious! Loaded with vegetables and chicken it’s a hearty soup that is savory and flavorful! Wild Rice Chicken Soup is a classic meal that easy to make and absolutely delicious!
I’m all about transforming leftovers! Using leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey in Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup – so delicious! Or 20 Minute Chicken Noodle Soup, yum! Leftover ham is turned into Deviled Ham or Navy Bean Soup with Ham – I’m a firm believer in not wasting food and repurposing a great meal!
When I lived in the midwest I developed a love for wild rice. I’ve brought that little bit of heaven right back here to California and certainly enjoy serving it with easy meals and in hearty soups and stews.
Soup is definitely my jam, what can I say!
The first time I made soup using wild rice it was a creamy soup. I added the wild rice (straight from the package) and boy that soup was dark. When I added in cream, the soup promptly turned purple. Eek! It tasted good, but unless I was serving it on Halloween… it definitely wasn’t a recipe to share!
Lesson learned? Rinse the rice well! Learn from my mistakes! 🤣
In this recipe, I’m using a wild rice blend so you won’t have those issues!
Grocery List for Wild Rice and Leftover Turkey Soup
- wild rice blend
- chicken or turkey
- chicken stock
- Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder
- optional – parsley and lemon
You probably have everything you need, but just in case – here are some substitutes!
- No wild rice? Use white or brown rice, jasmine and basmati rice would also be delicious! Just adjust the cooking time.
- Don’t have carrots or celery? You can use leftover veggies from a vegetable tray.
- No leftover rotisserie chicken? Turkey will work too!
- No chicken stock? Use the drippings from chicken or even chicken gravy. If you’re using gravy you’ll just need to thin it out with water.
What spices do you use in chicken soup?
In this recipe, I use Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Optional spices include red pepper flakes or chili powder – just a pinch of either will give it a little zip! A squeeze of lemon at the end and a handful of minced parsley will brighten the flavors of this easy meal.
How do you make chicken wild rice soup from scratch?
- Dice the vegetables and turkey.
- Heat a large stock pot on medium heat, add the butter and olive oil and all of the vegetables. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- To the stock pot add the wild rice and seasoning, mix to combine.
- Add the chicken stock and water, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook according to package directions for the rice.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and minced parsley.
More delicious soups and stews to try!
- Green Chili Chicken Posole Recipe
- Moroccan Chicken Stew
- The MOST AMAZING Chicken Soup Instant Pot Recipe
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
Click here for Homemade Soup: A Complete Guide – everything you want to learn about making the BEST soups and stews!
Love this recipe? Be sure and leave a five-star rating below! Any photos, be sure to share and tag me at on Instagram @bowl_me_over.com or #bowlmeover
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant a variety of affiliate programs, including in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Wild Rice Chicken Soup Recipe
Transform your leftovers into an easy Wild Rice and Leftover Chicken Soup! Savory, delicious and filling this is an easy soup to make with leftovers!
- 2 cups chicken cooked and diced
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 onion peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
Dice the vegetables and chicken - white meat or dark meat, use your favorite!
Heat a large stock pot on medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. When hot and bubbly add all of the vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the wild rice and seasoning, mix to combine and saute for a minute or two.
Next, add the chicken stock and water, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and cover.
Cook according to package directions for the rice - usually about 45 minutes
Optional - Finish with a squeeze of lemon and minced parsley to brighten the flavors of this easy soup!