Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup – An easy to make, beefy soup filled with plump barley and tender vegetables. This big beefy stew is hearty and satisfying. Because it’s made in the pressure cooker it has all the flavors of a soup that has been slowly simmered all day, but made in less than an hour!
Homemade soup in half the time!
Slow-cooked soups are best made on weekends and holidays, right? Well no more! When you use your pressure cooker, it takes less than half the time!
I’ve shared several recipes and before winter winds down I wanted to share another delicious soup. It’s an easy Beef Barley Soup Recipe and instead of taking all day, it’s done in less than an hour!
I love it because it’s quick and easy to make!
Here’s what you need to make the soup
What’s even better is you may even have all of these ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator!
Ingredients for Beef and Barley Soup
- round-steak – or leftover roast beef
- barley – a delicious whole grain, you’ll find it in the dried beans section
- crushed tomatoes OR canned French onion soup and beef consommé – big shortcut on flavor
- beef stock – low sodium is best
- carrots, celery, onion, sliced mushrooms, garlic and frozen peas – tons of fresh vegetables make this soup extra hearty.
- salt, pepper, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes – seasonings to perfect flavor the soup.
And this is a meal your whole family will enjoy! Rich roast beef, sautéed veggies and tender barley – what’s not to love? This easy recipe makes 8 generous servings, so it’s easy on your wallet also!
Never made barley? Here are the answers to your questions!
If you’re never made barley you might have a few questions. We love it and it’s perfect when added to soups and stews. I think you’ll really enjoy it also. If I missed a question, don’t hesitate to comment or pop me an email!
Do you cook barley before adding to soup?
No need to precook the barley. It is added to the soup along with the rest of the stew ingredients.
Does barley need to be soaked before cooking?
There is no need to soak the barley before cooking. Just rinse it well under cool water prior to adding it to the pressure cooker.
How long does it take to cook barley in the soup?
What can take 45 minutes on the stovetop happens quickly when using an Instant Pot. Twenty minutes under pressure and the barley is plump and cooked.
Can I freeze beef barley soup?
Yes, this soup freezes great! After the soup is completely cooled, place it in a freezer container and seal well. It will last up to three months.
How to make soup on the stovetop or in the slow cooker
- Make Beef Barley Soup in your slow cooker – toss all of the ingredients in (minus the olive oil) set on low, cook 8-10 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the peas at the end, stir well and serve.
- Stovetop directions for Beef Barley Soup – brown the meat, add the vegetables as described in the directions below. Simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender and the barley is cooked thru. Add the peas at the end just prior to serving.
Beef Barley Soup Recipe in the Instant Pot
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links, however, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- Instant Pot Duo 6 qt. 7 in 1 – this is the pressure cooker I have, I highly recommend it!
- Instant Pot Accessories – this is a great bundle and will save you $ instead of buying them separately.
- Replacement parts – after I lost the valve down my garbage disposal… this was the first thing I bought for my IP.
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Beef and Barley Soup Instant Pot Recipe
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 pound round steak cut into cubes
- 15 oz crushed tomatoes or one 10.5 oz can each French onion soup and beef consommé
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms I used a package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup barley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Remove the fat from the round-steak (if desired). Cut the steak into small cubes. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Peel and dice the carrots and onion. Slice the mushrooms. Mince the garlic.
- Turn the Instant Pot on sauté, when it is hot add the olive oil and round-steak.
- Allow the meat to brown and on all sides. About two minutes per side.
- Add the carrots and onions along with the Italian seasoning. Stir well to combine. Sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the garlic and stir again.
- Now add the liquid, both soups, and the stock. Add the bay leaves and barley. Stir everything to combine.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, then press the manual setting. Set the timer to 20 minutes. Top with the lid and seal. Turn the valve to seal.
- When the timer is done your meal is complete. Do a quick release, stir and serve!
- Optional – stir in a handful of minced parsley and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar. It will brighten the flavors of the soup.
How to make Beef Barley Soup on the stovetop or in the slow cooker;
- Slow Cooker Directions – Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker (minus the olive oil). Set on low. Cook 8-10 hours or until the meat is tender. Add the peas at the end, stir well and serve.
- Stovetop directions – start with a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and brown the meat. Next add the vegetables as described in the directions above. Simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender and the barley is completely cooked. Add the peas at the end just prior to serving.