Leftover turkey? Transform your boring leftovers into a delicious new meal with this Homemade Turkey Pot Pie Recipe! Cozy and filling, it’s an easy meal that can be made ahead using simple ingredients!
Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
Last week I made a BIG turkey. Partly because we had (almost) the entire family here. Partly because I had a coupon. One of those coupons that give you a free turkey if you spend over $100…
Fantastic! Free turkey! Well, the smallest turkey I could find was 18 pounds! Eek! Needless to say, we had some leftovers and we’ve had turkey 10 different ways; turkey sandwiches, turkey soup with roasted vegetables and
I’m not saying my timing is the best but you can just as easily substitute leftover chicken. Here’s my recipe for Turkey Pot Pie from leftovers!
But perhaps you don’t make Turkey for Christmas? You know, chances are you might still have some turkey in the freezer. If not, rotisserie chicken is a delicious substitute.
With this recipe, I’m keeping it simple – love that! Using everyday ingredients with some substitutes you can use if you don’t have everything on the list!
Turkey Pot Pie from Leftovers
Easy and delicious for a weeknight meal or fancy enough for company!
Ingredient list for Homemade Turkey Pot Pie
- chicken stock
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme or Italian seasoning
- pie crust
Although the list is a little long, these are all things you probably have on-hand. No turkey? Use rotissierie chicken or leftover grilled chicken. You can make your own pie crust or use an easy shortcut purchase pre-made!
Can you freeze turkey pot pie?
Absolutely! Make the filling and assemble the pot pie. Do not bake. Wrap it well and tuck it in the freezer – it will last up to six months!
To bake pot pie from frozen, unwrap and place on baking sheet. Increase the cooking time to 45-55 minutes. Bake until golden brown and bubbly.
Tips for making Turkey Pot Pie
- cook on a baking sheet lined with foil – makes clean up a breeze!
- fill oven-safe bowls almost to the top
- cut slits in the pie crust to allow the steam to escape
- brushing the pie crust with a beaten egg will make it brown beautifully and glisten!
No sprig of thyme? Use substitute 1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning.Deb Clark
What vegetables go in pot pie?
I keep it simple with the basics – onions, carrots and celery, but you can really use any combination of vegetables!
- frozen peas and carrots
- green beans (leftover green bean casserole is terrific!)
- cabbage or brussels sprouts
How do you make the crust for pot pie recipe?
I have a great homemade pie crust recipe on the blog (you can find the link here) but honestly, I purchase a good quality pre-made pie crust from the grocery store. They are delicious and it’s a great shortcut!
Steps to make pot pie recipe
- Preheat the oven.
- Dice the turkey and vegetables.
- Heat the stock.
- Add the butter and olive oil. Next, add the vegetables and seasoning. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour. Cook the flour for about 3 minutes or so until it is golden brown, then whisk in the stock.
- Add in the cooked turkey and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture between two oven-safe bowls.
- Top with a pie crust, cutting slits in the crust. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown.
I hope you really enjoy this recipe and you’re able to transform your leftovers into a fun new meal!
More recipes using leftover turkey
Another fun Pot Pie Recipe!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant of a variety of affiliate programs, including the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Ramekins for Pot Pie
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #bowlmeover so we can see what you’re creating in the kitchen! LOVE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a five star comment below!
Homemade Turkey Pot Pie
Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 cup diced turkey
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice the turkey and set aside. Dice all of the vegetables
- Place a stock pot over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil and when hot and bubbly add the vegetables and seasoning – thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour. Stir and cook the flour for about 3 minutes or so until it is golden brown.
- Add the stock slowly, whisking as you go. Cook until thickened 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the cooked turkey. Stir to combine and divide between two oven-safe bowls.
- Top with pie crust. Cut slits in the pie crust to allow the steam to vent. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.