This is my favorite recipe for the holidays! It’s the easiest turkey recipe and makes the most moist and tender bird every time.
- onion, carrots and butternut squash
- chicken broth
- salt, pepper, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
Easy Turkey Recipe
- 1 18-20 lb Turkey
- 6 cups root vegetables – I use onion, carrots and butternut squash
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Clean & chop the root vegetables into large pieces. Put them into a large roasting pan and put the turkey on top.
- Mix together the butter and spices – salt, pepper, cloves & nutmeg. With clean hands, run the butter spice mixture all over the turkey, inside & out. Separate the skin from the breast meat and get it in there also.
- Mix together the wine and chicken broth and pour it over the turkey. Cover the turkey very tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 500 degree oven as follows;
- First half hour: 500 degrees
- Second half hour: 450 degrees
- Third half hour 400 degrees
- Turn heat down to 350 and continue cooking for one hour. Remove the foil. Baste turkey as it continues to cook. It will take about 1 ½ hours more for a 20 lb. turkey.
- Allow to rest for at least a half hour, covered with aluminum foil. Remove the root veggies from the pan and you have a delicious side dish! Carve the turkey & enjoy!