This easy to make Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and delicious! It's perfect for brunch or a great side dish. Plus, they're really easy to make and the whole family will love them!
Next time try Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ They're creamy, cheesy and super simple.
✔️ This hearty casserole is delicious for breakfast or even as dinner side dish.
✔️ You use frozen shredded hash browns for this recipe, so it's perfect for a last minute meal.
Seriously... who am I trying to kid? It's the bacon! It makes everything better! This is such a comforting side dish or a yummy main dish!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- diced onions -I used sweet onion, but you can use white or red onion as well.
- crumbled bacon.
- melted butter
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup - though you can substitute any of the canned soups - cream of celery soup or cream of mushroom soup.
- celery salt
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (I used Ore-Ida)
- shredded Colby Jack cheese.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Thaw the hash browns first. Place in a colander on a plate and leave it overnight in the fridge. Make sure to pat dry to remove any excess water.
- Preheat the oven, prepare baking dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the onion, bacon, melted butter, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup. Mix until all combined.
- Next add the seasonings and mix again.
- Add the remaining ingredients - THAWED hash brown and cheese. Mix until everything is coated.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes uncovered.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 9x13 baking dish
- large bowl
Yes, they need to thaw for this recipe. I would recommend overnight in the fridge as it will help them to not turn into mush when baked.
Yes, fresh potatoes can be used, but you will need to soak them in water and then drain and dry them first.
Funeral potatoes are a casserole dish that is typically made with frozen hash browns, cheese, and a creamy soup mixture. It's usually served as a side dish for potlucks or funerals.
Yes, you could add a crispy topping to the potatoes. Some ideas include bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or corn flakes. I recommend pouring melted butter over the top of the crispy topping.
This Easy Hash Brown Casserole can be made in the crockpot. I would recommend cooking on low for 4 hours to 6 hours.
- If you're not a fan of onion, you could easily leave them out or use a lesser amount.
- I like to use Colby Jack cheese in this recipe, but you could use any blend that you prefer.
- This Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole can easily be doubled if you're feeding a larger crowd.
- Be sure to spray your baking dish well, so clean up is a snap!
- Mix up the cheesy potato casserole by adding diced ham or cooked crumbled sausage.
- Instead of cream chicken soup you can use cream of mushroom soup.
- Make this casserole extra cheesy by using cheddar cheese soup in place of the cream of chicken soup.
- If you want a little bit of heat, add in some diced jalapeños.
- For a delicious crunchy topping mix together crushed Ritz Crackers, corn flakes or potato chips. Top with about two tablespoons melted butter and bake - yum!
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days.
Reheat: Place in a microwave-safe dish and cook on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Or reheat in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for about 20 minutes, until warm and bubbly.
Freezer: Wrap the casserole tightly in foil or plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- If you love creamy potato recipes, then give this Creamy Potato Soup recipe a try.
- Creamy Chicken Potato Bake is an all in one casserole that your entire family will enjoy.
- This recipe for Cheesy Ham and Potatoes is so good. It's great as a side or main dish!
- Do you love creamy and delicious potatoes? This Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the perfect side dish for most meals.
- Nothing pairs better with these Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes than Orange Glazed Ham - it's the perfect side dish for holiday dinners!
- Enjoy these cheesy potatoes for breakfast alongside this Easy Frittata recipe.
- If you are looking for the perfect comfort food meal this French Onion Salisbury Steak is the recipe that you need.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Easy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup cooked bacon crumbled
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 30 ounce shredded hash browns thawed
- 2 ½ cups shredded Colby Jack
- optional garnish - sliced green onions
- Thaw the hash browns. I found it easiest to place a colander on a plate overnight in the fridge. Pat dry to remove as much excess water as possible.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, added chopped onion, bacon, melted butter, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup. Add the seasonings, mix well.
- Add the thawed hash browns into the creamy sauce and mix until completely coated.
- Add the cheese and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake in a preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes uncovered.