Here’s an easy and recipe using store-bought rotisserie chicken that the whole family will love! This bowl is packed with flavor and so easy to make using rotisserie chicken, rice, creamy pinto beans, and tomatoes. It's topped with a simple salsa ranch dressing and it's delicious!
Next time try this Burrito Casserole recipe!
💭 Recipe backstory
Lets face it, getting dinner on the table during the week can be tough for all of us, especially this time of year. Do yourself a favor and grab an already cooked rotisserie chicken at the grocery store!
With a few other easy ingredients, you’ll have Rotisserie Chicken Burrito Bowls ready for the whole fam….a REALLY satisfying and delicious dinner too!
This is a great time to tell you how thrilled I am here at Studio Delicious (link to site) to guest post for Bowl Me Over, and you can find more recipes for easy dinners like my Turkey Burger with Pepperjack and Cranberry or another favorite bowl recipe like my Roasted Grape Breakfast Bowl.
- Salsa: Every burrito needs a little salsa, and in this recipe we’ll use it in the Pinto Beans and the salsa ranch dressing we’ll serve alongside.
- Pinto Beans: Most burrito bowls use black beans, and you totally can here too, but why not try Pinto Beans for a change? SO good, and creamy on the inside too.
- Rice: Cook up some rice, about two cups. I like brown rice, but use whatever you have on-hand. You can buy rice already cooked and frozen in most grocery stores too!
- Lettuce: Good old iceberg….so perfect in this bowl but you can also use romaine or even spinach.
- Cheese: Sharp cheddar is best, and be sure to grate it yourself. SO much better than pre-shredded!
- Corn: Frozen or canned, and ready to go.
- Tomato & Onion: Cherry tomato and green onion (sometimes called scallions) are easy to cut in half and thin slices, respectively.
- Chicken: Rotisserie, of course, and chopped or shredded to have four cups total, but if you have some leftover cooked chicken, that will work too!
- Tortillas: I use flour, but corn will work too.
To make your Rotisserie Chicken Burrito Bowls, the first thing you’ll need is about four cups of cubed or shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Remove the skin off the cooked chicken and gently pull the meat off the bone. Dice or shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare the lettuce and vegetables.
- Cut a flour tortilla in 1” long pieces.
- Fry in medium-sized non-stick skillet with olive oil until the tortillas are golden brown
To compile your Rotisserie Chicken Burrito Bowl:
- Place the iceberg lettuce and rice on the bottom of the bowl
- Add the salsa to the pinto beans, gently combine and divide into the bowls
- Add the chicken, corn, cheese, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream
- Garnish with sliced green onion, fresh lime and fried tortillas
- Serve with salsa ranch dressing on the side, recipe is below!
You definitely can, and in fact, ALL the ingredients can be assembled in advance and made just prior to serving. You can also make the bowls and add the avocado and tortillas just before eating if you’re doing a meal prep. Put the salsa ranch dressing in a small, non-breakable container for easy transport to serve alongside.
Yes when it's stuffed with veggies and a lean protein. Monitor portions sizes for best results.
The beauty of these bowls is that you can change up the ingredients to your liking. Here’s some examples: Use black beans instead of pinto beans. Use white or jasmine or Spanish rice instead of brown rice and pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar.
- Cook the flour tortillas in advance and carefully wrap them in a paper towel until ready to use. You can warm them in the microwave for 10-20 seconds too.
- I’m really in favor of freshly grated cheese, but you can certainly use pre-shredded in a pinch
- Use rotisserie beef instead of chicken, many times grocery stores sell a small cut of roast beef that just needs to be thinly sliced and it’s good to go!
Deb here - I just had to step in and say oh my goodness! What an easy delicious recipe this is! I sure hope you give it a try soon and enjoy it - I think it looks delicious and that simple southwestern dressing is brilliant. So yummy and so much flavor!!
Thank you so much for stopping by to share this amazing recipe Paige!
Please visit my sweet friend blog for more modern, fresh home cooked recipes! You can find her here at Studio Delicious. I know she'd love it if you followed her on social media as well. Here are the links - Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest.
More of my favorite bowl meals!
You know I love a meal in a bowl! More of my favorites include Teriyaki Chicken Bowl, it's another quick and easy meal that is soooo good! Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe - so simple and delicious and if you're in the mood for beef, be sure and try this recipe for Korean Style Beef Broccoli Rice Bowl
Rotisserie Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken cooked chicken, store-bought, shredded or cubed
- 1 15 ounce pinto beans drained and gently rinsed
- ¼ cup salsa chunky and mild
- 8 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup corn canned or if frozen, defrosted
- 1 avocado large, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 green onion trimmed ends with white part thinly sliced
- 3 large flour tortillas sliced in strips about 1” thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime cut in wedges for serving
- ½ cup sour cream for serving
- ¼ cup fresh Parsley or cilantro for serving
SALSA RANCH DRESSING
- ½ cup ranch dressing use your favorite!
- ½ cup salsa chunky and mild
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Remove the skin and bones from the rotisserie chicken, chop or shred.
- Drain and rinse the pinto beans, put in a medium-sized bowl. Add the salsa to the beans and toss together. Set aside.
- Remove the outside leaves and core of the lettuce and dice. Slice the cherry tomatoes, shred the cheese and drain the corn from the can. Set these ingredients aside while you cook the tortillas
- Cut the flour tortillas in 1” long slices.
- Using a medium-sized non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil in the pan and add the tortillas in 2 or 3 batches, keeping them flat in the skillet so they aren’t crowded. Cook until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Turn with a spatula for another minute or so and drain on paper towels until ready to use.
- To make the salsa ranch dressing, combine the ranch and the salsa in a small bowl and mix together. Serve alongside the bowls.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the ingredients between four bowls. Start with the lettuce then add a scoop of rice to each. Top with about a cup of chicken per bowl, then add the pinto bean mixture, shredded cheese and corn.
- Dice the avocado tomatoes and add to each bowl. Sprinkle with green onions, tortilla strips and cilantro. Garnish with the crispy tortilla strips, limes and sour cream.
- Serve with salsa ranch dressing on the side, enjoy!
We are trying to lose some weight so I made a few modifications: left out the rice, corn and tortilla strips. Since there are only 2 of us we had more beans and diced avocado. I had to decrease the amount of cheese too. Even with all the modifications it was as delicious and will go into our dinner rotation. With my changed it just about cut the calories in half. A real win for us!
Bowl Me Over
Great job Judy! I'm excited to hear how you made this recipe work for you - congrats on your weight loss and thank you for being a party of the blog!
We made this for dinner tonight. YUM! What a delicious and easy meal for the entire family to enjoy. We'll definitely be making it again!