Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad
What I love about living in the Central Valley in California is the abundance of produce available year round, it’s amazing what a visit to the farmer’s market offers! Now that I’ve been here in Fresno a couple of years, I can tell you there is such an abundance of varied fruits and vegetables available all year long! Spring offers up fruit like apricots, peaches and cherries.
Summer time is filled with berries like strawberries, blueberries, artichokes and melons – fall brings all kinds of nuts, pistachios & squash (just to mention a few), winter – oranges, lemons, pomegranates, the list goes on and on.
Here’s a picture of pistachios that I took last year at sunset, right before harvest. On a side note, did you know that the pistachio crop is so valuable that it’s guarded when harvest time comes around? Amazing! Here’s a great video showing pistachios being harvested.
Back to this wonderful salad I’m offering for #MeatlessMonday – salad greens, oranges, beets, goat cheese and pistachios are what I found last week and so today I’ve prepared for you a beautiful, crunchy salad that I know you will enjoy!
If you haven’t roasted beets before, it’s super easy. Just clean them and snip off the greens. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Then place them in a heavy cast iron skillet tightly covered with foil. Into the oven they go – 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (the timing depends on the size of the beets). They are done when a thin knife can easily pierce thru the beet.
While they were roasting, I shelled the pistachios, about ¼ cup and then tried not to eat the ones I shelled. 😀 Next up were the oranges – with a sharp knife I cut the top and bottom off so they stood upright easily, then working around I cut off the peel & white pith of the orange. Then carefully cut out each segment of the orange. Takes a bit of time and yes you could just slice them but I wanted to use the juice from the leftover orange in the dressing so it worked out really good.
After that it was simply assembling this beautiful salad! Don’t you feel like you’re eating the rainbow? Full of delicious flavors and crunch, Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad is gorgeous and amazingly healthy too! This one is easy – I hope you enjoy!
Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad
- Salad Ingredients
- 6-8 beets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oranges
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled
- 1 ounce goat cheese crumbled
- 8-10 cups salad greens
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- juice of the orange
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Just clean the beets well and snip off the greens - drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then place them in a heavy cast iron skillet tightly covered with foil. Into the oven they go - 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (the timing depends on the size of the beets). They are done when a thin knife can easily pierce thru the beet. Remove from the oven and when cool carefully peel the skin off the beet and slice thinly.
- While the beets are roasting, shell the pistachios. You'll need about ¼ cup. Roughly chop them, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, peel the oranges - with a sharp knife cut the top and bottom off so they stand upright easily. Then working around the orange, cut off the peel and white pith of the orange. Then carefully cut out each segment of the orange. Reserve the remaining orange flesh for the salad dressing.
- Arrange your greens, oranges, beets, pistachios and crumbled goat cheese.
- For the salad dressing combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil and whisk together to combine. Then slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Top the salad, serve and enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
p.s. Roasting beets is easy but….if roasting beets is too much (and there are days that it is!) or you don’t have the time, you can purchase pre-roasted beets at your local grocery store. Look in the fresh produce section (not canned). Don’t worry – no judgement! 😀 Give this one a try you’re going to love this tasty salad – Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad