Bitter Greens Orange Salad – this salad pairs the sweetness of winter fruit with crunchy greens. It’s a tasty mix of bitter, sweet & crunchy that compliments most any meal.
Bitter Greens Orange Salad
- 6 cups bitter greens - recommend arugula endive and radicchio - or a combination of these
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts also known as filberts
- Dressing -
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- juice of the orange
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Start by toasting the hazelnuts. Toasting the nuts crisps them up a bit and gives them an even nuttier taste. Use a dry pan over medium heat. Spread the nuts out in the pan so they are one even layer. Stir them or shake the pan every minute or so. You'll have to keep an eye on them because they will burn rather quickly. It will only take about 5-8 minutes. When they are crisp and brown, remove them from the pan immediately as they will continue to cook and may burn if they are left in the pan. Set aside to cool. When the nuts are cool enough to handle, chop them.
- Prepare the greens, wash & dry thoroughly, set aside.
- Prepare the oranges. You'll want to cut off the peel & pith with a sharp knife, removing all of the bitter white pith. Then cut out each segment of the orange carefully. This is best done over a both to catch the juice.*
- Add the salad greens, oranges & hazelnuts to your salad bowl and dress with the salad dressing. Dress lightly with the salad dressing - I always try and remember...it's easy to add more dressing, but tough to remove it!
Sign up for emails here!Don't worry, we don't share emails!
If you’ve never segmented an orange before, here’s a link that gives you a great example – click here for the video.