Kale Superfood Salad Recipe is packed with greens and loaded with flavor. It's the perfect combination of antioxidant-rich foods like berries, nuts & seeds. Full of texture this is a great side salad or light meal!
Kale Superfood Salad
How are you doing with your New Years Resolutions? Do you make resolutions? I do - I love to challenge myself, sometimes I fail and sometimes.... like last year I do really well!
I think it's because my biggest challenge last year involved a team; Mom, Dan and myself. We set a goal to walk or run 2016 miles in 2016 and you know what? On December 18th, 2016 we met our goal!
My Mom who is 75 years old walked 480 miles last year!! How cool is that? (Mom is my hero, I want to be just like her when I grow up!)
Dan and I picked up the slack. That left us with about 770 miles each, which isn't huge but it was challenging to complete. (Having broken ribs in the middle of the year didn't help.) Together WE DID IT!
We've already set our goal for next year and you guessed it - 2017 miles in 2017!
I'm best when I set goals and challenge myself. Daily, weekly, monthly and for the year. If I don't, I find myself spinning and I don't like it when I'm not productive.
Making better choices is part of those goals. I've been leaning this way for a while and I want to continue that into 2017. So....without further adieu...drumroll
Let me introduce to you this delicious Kale Superfood Salad!
Superfood Salad Recipe
I'm very excited to share this recipe with you today! It is full of crunchy goodness and it isn't just good for you, it's delicious too!
Which salads are best for weight loss?
What makes food Superfood?
That's a great question and I did some research on it myself. Superfoods are considered nutritionally dense foods. Most, but not all are plant-based. They offer great nutritional value without being high in calories and fat.
Superfoods are also packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. I did some research and I encourage you to check it out also.
I certainly love my veggies, but I also really enjoy sweets, so like everything life is about balance!
Grocery list for Superfood Salad
- kale, spinach and cabbage - all lovely greens with tons of crunch!
- cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and edamame - bright fresh veggies to add flavor.
- cashews, sunflower seeds - pistachios would also be a great addition! Nuts and seeds add protein
- blueberries - you can really add whatever fruit you enjoy, strawberries, pomegranate seeds
- Vinaigrette Ingredients
- marmalade jam - for sweetness, no marmalade, substitute honey.
- red wine vinegar and spicy yellow mustard - for tanginess, the mustard helps bring everything together.
- olive oil - to emulsify, salt and pepper to season.
Steps to make Superfood Salad
- Chop, slice and dice and dice the vegetables.
- Mix together the homemade vinaigrette
- Dress the salad with the dressing, enjoy!
Leftover salad? Pile it in a tortilla, it makes the perfect wrap. (Wait until just before eating to put the wrap together so it doesn't get soggy.)
Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the wrap. It was so good we devoured them quickly. I loved that it was easy and repurposed leftovers.
Even if you don't eat leftovers as a wrap on day two it stays crunchy and yummy the next day as a salad.
If you take a shortcut and use store-bought dressing I won't tell! Use a sweet vinaigrette
Here are more of my favorite salad recipes!
What to serve with this salad
- How about a great
Tri Tip Roast- big meaty steak that can stand up to this salad.
- Dinner Rolls - these are ridiculously good (and easy!), I dare you to eat just one!
- And for
dessert, these easy Lemon Bars are just so good!
Salad Dressing Mixer Bottle - I bought a couple of these. The bottle has recipes and measurements on the side and it makes it so easy to mix salad dressing!
Superfood Kale Salad
Kale Superfood Salad Recipe
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced cucumber seeds removed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon marmalade jam
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy yellow mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- This is super easy to put together. Slice and shred all the vegetables and add to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the salad dressing ingredients, mix well.
- Add ¼ cup dressing to the salad, mix well - adding remaining dressing as needed to dress the salad (nothing is worse than a soggy salad!).
- Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator it will keep 4-5 days if tightly sealed.