An Easy Lemon Bar Recipe with a buttery shortbread crust, topped with a layer of tart lemon curd and luscious lemon frosting! These sweet-tart lemon bars are easy to make and so delicious!
If you love these lemons bars, the next one on your list should be this no bake lemon icebox pie recipe it's perfect for a summer treat!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ The creamy, luscious frosting - it's unbelievably delicious!
✔️ Perfect for potlucks and family gatherings.
✔️ This is an easy make-ahead dessert.
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- powdered sugar
- cream cheese
- baking powder
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven
- Add all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor.
- Process until it looks like a fine powder.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Prepare the filling. Mix together and pour over the hot crust.
- Return to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Mix together the frosting and frost the bars. Slice and enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Jellyroll pan
- Large mixing bowl - I have this set and am so pleased with the use and durability.
- I love the retro look of this food processor and it's reasonably priced as well!
On average each lemon will give you about 2 tablespoons of juice. For this recipe you’ll need a total ½ cup of fresh lemon juice. Plan accordingly, you'll need about 4+ lemons.
Yes, you should refrigerate the lemon bars after baking. The bars contain eggs, butter
This is perfect too if you have unexpected company – you’ll be the star whipping out some homemade treats!
Jiggly like jello! 🤣 If they aren't firm when you slice them the curd will ooze and fall apart.
- Store them in an airtight container, refrigerated.
- Be generous with the frosting, it's amazing!
- Decorating with sprinkles is totally optional.
Refrigerator - Store in a single layer, refrigerate in an airtight container.
Freezer - These lemon bars freeze great! Wrap well with plastic wrap, freeze up to three months.
If you've been following the blog for any length of time you know my hubby Dan loves dessert. Some his favorites are:
- Banana Chocolate Bars - think luscious frosted homemade brownies.
- Homemade Pecan Sandies - a crispy cookie with pecans and figs, great with a cup of coffee.
- Frosted Butterscotch Cookies this is old fashioned recipe is topped with a delicious brown butter frosting.
Coffee is my first choice, these are sweet and tart, a great cup of coffee really balances that out.
These are terrific all year long and the first thing to go at potlucks and family gatherings!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
- For the Crust
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 cubes) cold butter diced into small cubes
- For the Filling
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice fresh
- 2 tablespoon flour heaping tablespoons!
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- For the Frosting
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice you can add a little zest here also!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Add all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor. Process until it looks like a fine powder consistency.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased 10x15" jellyroll pan and spread out evenly. Press down. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- While the crust is baking prepare the filling. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar. Add in the lemon juice, flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the hot crust, spreading evenly. Return to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix together the frosting and frost the bars, decorating with sprinkles if desired. Slice into 48 bars. Refrigerate.