An Easy Lemon Bar Recipe with a buttery shortbread crust, topped with a layer of tart lemon curd and luscious lemon frosting! These sweet-tart lemon bars are easy to make and so delicious!
Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
If you've been following the blog for any length of time you know my hubby Dan loves dessert. Some his favorites are: Banana Chocolate Bars - think luscious frosted homemade brownies, Homemade Pecan Sandies - a crispy cookie with pecans and figs, great with a cup of coffee and Frosted Butterscotch Cookies this is old fashioned recipe is topped with a delicious brown butter frosting.
Yup! My man loves dessert!
Every meal with a sweet
So obviously that needs to change, right?
I knew you'd see it my way!
This recipe for Easy Lemon Bars is a tried and true family recipe. My second cousin has been making this recipe for years and she brought it to a family reunion last summer at my folk’s house.
Homemade Lemon Bars
Let me tell you, these lemon bars are AMAZING! Not only are they easy to make and delicious, AND they were the first thing gone on the buffet.
Lucky for us, she shared the recipe!
Grocery List for Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
- powdered sugar
- cream cheese
- baking powder
Lemon Bars with Lemon Curd
On average each lemon will give you about 2 tablespoons of juice. For this recipe you’ll need a total ½ cup of fresh lemon juice. Plan accordingly, you'll need about 4+ lemons.
Yes, you should refrigerate the lemon bars after baking. The bars contain eggs, butter
This is perfect too if you have unexpected company – you’ll be the star whipping out some homemade treats!
Jiggly like jello! 🤣 If they aren't firm when you slice them the curd will ooze and fall apart.
Love these bars? Here are more sweet treats!
- Homemade Pistachio Ice Cream
- Chocolate Covered Pistachios
- Minnie Mouse Cupcakes
- Oh Henry Bars
- Grandma Bertha's Butter Cookies Recipe
- Black Mission Fig Ice Cream
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
How to make Lemon Bars
Steps to make Bar Recipe
- Preheat the oven
- Add all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor.
- Process until it looks like a fine powder.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Prepare the filling. Mix together and pour over the hot crust.
- Return to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Mix together the frosting and frost the bars. Slice and enjoy!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Baking Must Have's for My Kitchen!
AideStand Mixer (orange of course!)
- Pyrex 4-Piece Glass Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons - I love the shape of these because they fit into spice jars
If you post a photo, please tag me! I'd love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you're on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can't wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
- For the Crust
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter 2 cubes) cold butter diced into small cubes
- For the Filling
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice fresh
- 2 rbsp flour heaping tablespoons!
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- For the Frosting
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice you can add a little zest here also!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Add all of the ingredients for the crust in a food processor. Process until it looks like a fine powder consistency.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased 10x15" jellyroll pan and spread out evenly. Press down. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- While the crust is baking prepare the filling. Mix together and pour over the hot crust, spreading evenly. Return to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix together the frosting and frost the bars, decorating with sprinkles if desired. Slice into 48 bars. Refrigerate.