The BEST Queso Dip Recipe you've ever tried, hands down! It's easy to make and delicious. A popular Tex-Mex favorite, this rich and velvety appetizer is flavor packed with tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeños, salsa and cheese! Velveeta Cheese Dip is creamy and zesty too!
Velveeta is life! If you love this be sure and try this easy recipe for Velveeta Chili Mac and Cheese Casserole next!
Why you'll love this recipe
Why? BEST. QUESO. EVER. I often double the recipe and make queso enchiladas later in the week. This one is a winner!
✔️ It's creamy, cheesy and just a little spicy.
✔️ Pantry ingredients make it quick and affordable.
✔️ It's completely delicious and easy to make.
For the exact measurements for the classic velveeta queso, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Velveeta Cheese - creamy cheese and melty, this easy cheese is perfect for this recipe!
- onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeños and salsa - loads of fresh ingredients give it plenty of crunch - no salsa? Use Rotel tomatoes and green chiles.
- mushroom soup, green chilis - easy pantry ingredients. The mushroom soup will add to the creaminess and canned green chilies give it plenty of authentic flavor.
- olive oil - to sauté the vegetables.
This is an overview of the instructions for the cheesy rotel dip. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Chop the vegetables.
- Sauté the onion over medium heat. When soft, add the garlic and sauté for just a minute more.
- Be sure to cube the cheese. It will melt more easily if cubed.
- Then add the cheese cubes and remaining ingredients (except the tomatoes). Stir to combine until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Top with diced tomatoes and minced jalapeños before serving.
Without a doubt Velveeta is the BEST choice for this recipe. Is this authentic? No, however it's the best melty cheese. It creams together with the ingredients and it's a great choice for this recipe
A small crock pot or slow cooker on the buffet table will keep this perfectly warm and dip-able thru-out the entire game. Or keep it on the stove with small bowls handy so everyone can dip their own. Either way works!
Allow the Velveeta Cheese Dip to cool completely, cover and refrigerate. Leftovers will last three days. That is if they don't get eaten sooner!
- This Queso Dip Recipe can easily be made in the slow cooker. Add the ingredients and set on low, cook for two hours. Stir it occasionally to mix everything together and to keep it smooth and velvety. After two hours, turn on low and top with tomatoes and minced jalapeños.
- No salsa? Substitute with a can of Rotel with chilis, yum!
- Be sure to spray your pan or crockpot with non-stick cooking spray to make clean-up a breeze.
- This can be made up to three days ahead and reheated.
This is hands down the BEST Queso Dip! It's easy to make, a little spicy and a little crunchy and super creamy. It's great for any party and terrific game day grub!
Substitute Ro tel with chiles for the salsa and jalapeños.
Exchange cream cheese for the processed cheese.
Brown ground beef or ground turkey, season with taco seasoning and add to the cheese dip. Spicy sausage would be tasty as well!
Use queso blanco (white cheese) and turn this dip into Velveeta Queso Blonco Dip!
Refrigerator - Allow to leftover dip to cool completely to room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container refrigerated up to three days.
Freezer - Freeze up to three months.
Reheat - Thaw overnight, reheat in the oven, microwave or crock pot.
- Leftover cheese sauce (if there is any) make amazing nachos on day two!
- Or completely repurpose the meal by making Queso Chicken Enchiladas! YUM!
- Another idea? Mac 'n Cheese - spicy and so delicious! Boil the noodles and top them with queso and mix to combine. In fact this is so good, you might even need to double the recipe so you'll be sure to enough leftover queso!
Be sure to have plenty of tortilla chips, Frito corn chips and fresh vegetables like red and green bell peppers, and green onions on hand for dipping!
- My go-to snack for game day is chicken wings - these are easy to make and delicious every time.
- Taco Dip with Meat - this amazing make-ahead snack is the perfect dipper!
- 4 Ingredient Cream Cheese Ball Recipe - easiest and the best!
- Easy Quesadilla Dip is sweet/hot cheesy deliciousness!
- Serving them with classic Blue Cheese Dip is the perfect combination. This a family favorite, everyone asks me for this recipe!
- Velveeta Cheese Dip is the easiest dip to share for game day or Cinco de Mayo. Easy and so delicious you won't be able to stop eating it! Don't say I didn't warn you!
- This recipe for Refried Bean and Salsa Dip is so yummy and easy! As is this recipe for Chili Cheese Bean Dip - all you'll need is chips!
I also love these Cuban Sliders - they are great make-ahead appetizers and get you out of the kitchen and in front of the TV to watch the game!
Queso Dip Recipe
- 16 oz. Velveeta Cheese block
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup salsa jarred or fresh, either will work!
- 10 ½ oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 4 oz can green chilis
- 1 tablespoon jalepenos minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Place a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil & chopped onion. Saute for about 3-4 minutes until they just begin to soften. Add the garlic. Saute for another minute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Cube the Velveeta cheese.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir until the Velveeta cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are well combined and heated through.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, jalapenos or cilantro and serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and turn to low heat.
- Cook until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish and reduce to warm setting. Enjoy with your favorite chips!