Hey!!! You know what today is right? Yup, it’s Meatless Monday and it’s time for me to serve you up another delicious meal! Pepper Stew is on the menu today and it is fabulous! Simmering the stew on the stove makes the potatoes soft and tender. The peppers and tomatoes become sweet and juicy! The bit of red pepper flakes give it just a hint of heat – it’s a perfect stew moment!
There is something that happens to peppers when they are slow cooked. They become sweet and savory. and sooo yummy! You know how tasty peppers become when they are grilled as a shish kabob right? Same thing happens when they are slow cooked on the stove.
I have to back up a moment to say I think peppers are just gorgeous! Look at these pretty colors – food as art, that’s what this is!
Ok, back to the stew. 😀 Allowing the flavors to develop in the Pepper Stew as it simmers away on the stove makes for the most amazingly flavorful stew. Peppers & starchy russet potatoes are slowly cooked. The potatoes help thicken the stew.
It’s very simple too you’ll start by chopping the onions and 3-4 cloves of garlic. Now that sounds like a lot of garlic, but it’s ok – it becomes sweet and delicious as it cooks away on the stove!
Next you’ll add the peppers. The hardest part of this is chopping the peppers – not hard, just time consuming. Peel the potatoes and into the pot they go.
Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Give everything a good stir.
Next add in the liquid – tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes and vegetable stock – four cups. Give another good stir and increase the heat to high. Bring the stew to a boil.
After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low. Give it another good stir and allow it to cook away uncovered on the stove for an hour. Stir it every ten to fifteen minutes or so.
When it’s done, your home will have the most wonderful aroma – you won’t even have to call the kids for dinner because they will be ready to eat! AND Pepper Stew is also vegan shhhh…… just don’t tell anyone! Trust me, they won’t even realize it! or miss the meat!
This stew is hearty, delicious and nearly fat free. If you’re watching your waistline or counting calories, you’ll definitely want to add Pepper Stew to your menu. Are you ready? Let’s get cooking!
- 2 green peppers
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 2 cups russet potatoes about 4 cubed
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 can stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley optional for garnish
- In a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion & saute for 4-5 minutes until it just begins to brown. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add all of peppers, potatoes, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes until the peppers really begin to soften.
- Add in the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer. Continue simmering, uncovered on the stove for one hour. Give the stew a good stir every ten to fifteen minutes to keep it from sticking on the bottom and to release the starches in the potatoes.
- If desired sprinkle with chopped parsley just before serving. Serve with crusty bread for an easy, flavorful meal!
Sign up for emails here!Don't worry, we don't share emails!
If you like this stew you may also enjoy my Vegetable Orzo Soup! Fall is the perfect time for a delicious harvest soup and these easy flavors come together in a snap. Vegetable Orzo Soup is a healthy meal packed full of flavor.