Pepper Stew is on the menu today and it is fabulous! Simmering the stew on the stove makes the potatoes soft and tender. The peppers and tomatoes become sweet and juicy! The bit of red pepper flakes gives this pepper soup recipe just a hint of heat - the perfect combination of flavors!
Next time try Stuffed Pepper Casserole!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
There is something magical that happens to peppers when they are slowly cooked. They become sweet, savory and sooo yummy! Similar to the sweet flavor peppers get when they are grilled as a shish kabob something similar happens when they are slowly cooked on the stovetop.
Allowing the flavors to develop in this amazing Peperonata recipe as it simmers on the stove makes for the most amazingly flavorful stew!
This is such a simple dish! Peppers with starchy russet potatoes to thicken the stew, some spices and stock. It doesn't get any easier or better than this!
- sweet bell peppers - medium green bell pepper, yellow peppers, orange bell peppers and red bell peppers - a whole rainbow of bell peppers!
- russet potatoes, medium yellow onion, garlic - russet potatoes are best for this recipe to help thicken the stew.
- tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, vegetable stock - pantry ingredients you probably have on hand!
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes - to flavor the soup.
- extra virgin olive oil - to sauté the vegetables
- parsley - an optional ingredient, but the addition helps bright the flavor of the soup!
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- It's very simple too you'll start by chopping the onions, dicing the peppers, peel and dice the potatoes, mince the garlic.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil then the peppers and potatoes, season well.
- Next add the broth, fire roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to simmer uncovered until the potatoes are tender. Season peperonata with a pinch of salt.
Yes! The variety of peppers green, yellow, red and orange offer the perfect combination of flavors. If you choose all green peppers, the stew will be bitter, all red peppers will make it super sweet.
Russet potatoes are the best choice for this soup. They are super starchy and thicken the soup nicely!
Yes, this can be made ahead and like many soups that are slowly simmered it tastes even better on day two!
Potatoes and Pepper Stew will last up to three days in the refrigerator.
I don't recommend freezing this soup. Potatoes don't freeze well and become mealy when they are thawed. It's best to eat this soup when it's fresh.
Tomato paste will intensify the flavors of the stew. You can replace the canned tomatoes with fresh tomatoes as well.
Use any combination of sweet summer bell peppers the colorful peppers make for such a lovely stew!
A splash of white vinegar brightens the flavor just before serving.
All you need to complete the meal is some crusty Italian bread to help sop up the amazing broth!
When it's done, your home will have the most wonderful aroma - you won't even have to call the kids for dinner because they will be ready to eat!
Bonus? Pepper and Potato Stew is also vegan shhhh...... just don't tell anyone! Trust me, they won't even realize it! or miss the meat!
- This recipe for an (almost!) no-knead bread is amazing. It's crusty and delicious and would be a great choice to pair with this meal!
- Soft and tender dinner rolls are perfect also!
- Skillet Cornbread - YUM!! Easy to make, simple flavors - I challenge you to have just one slice!!
Here are more healthy dinners! If you like this stew you may also enjoy this recipe for Vegetable Orzo Soup! It's easy to make and comes together in a snap.
And be sure to try this simple carrot soup recipe - so cozy and delicious! Here are more cozy soups and stews!
- Asparagus Soup - this vegetarian soup is quick and easy to make and really delicious!
- Roasted Tomato Vegetable Soup - the roasted tomato intensifies the flavor. This soup is incredibly savory and creamy.
- Easy to make this Potato Soup Recipe is thick and hearty and only takes 30 minutes to make!
- Tomato Bisque - creamy, rich and so good, this simple soup is everyones favorite!
- Beef Stew - so hearty and delicious, this is pure comfort food.
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup - rich and velvety, this guilt free soup is a quick 30 minute meal.
You'll definitely want to try the Old Fashioned Stuffed Peppers Recipe!
This stew is hearty, delicious and nearly fat free. If you're watching your waistline or counting calories, you'll definitely want to add Pepper Stew to your menu.
This Pepper Soup Recipe is unassuming and you might even think it sounds little boring, but that's not the case! It is SO GOOD! Promise me you'll try it ok?
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Pepper Stew Recipe
- 2 green peppers
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 2 cups russet potatoes about 4 cubed
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley optional for garnish
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion & saute for 4-5 minutes until it just begins to brown. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add all of peppers, potatoes, salt and pepper and saute for 10 minutes until the peppers really begin to soften.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients: tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer. Continue simmering, uncovered on the stove for one hour.
- Give the stew a good stir every ten to fifteen minutes to keep it from sticking on the bottom and to release the starches in the potatoes.
- If desired sprinkle with chopped parsley just before serving. Serve with crusty bread for an easy, flavorful meal!