Do you love a great sloppy-joe but want to lighten up your meal? This Portobello Mushroom Sandwich is the easiest and most delicious sandwich.
Cooked in the slow cooker or Instant Pot (works for either!) It takes ten minutes in prep and it's hands off after that.
Next time try Sautéed Portobello Mushrooms!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ Great vegetarian meal, you won't miss the meat!
✔️ Loaded with flavor, it's easy to make and delicious.
✔️ 10 minutes of prep time!
And I might add...I've came pretty close (Dan says it's better!) ! This burger is slow cooked with mushrooms, red onions and bell peppers. I
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- portobello Mushrooms
- sliced Mushrooms
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- bbq sauce
- fixings for coleslaw (or pre-made from the Deli department)
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- clean the mushrooms, put them in the slow cooker
- add the sliced peppers and onions
- top with bbq sauce and spice. Stir to combine.
- toast the burger buns because this is an oozy-gooey burger and toasting the bun keeps it from getting soggy.
- Assemble the portobello mushroom sandwich, topping each with homemade slaw.
You can eat the gills, but they can be tough and not very palatable. Scrape them out and discard.
Similar to the gills, the stem can be tough. Remove it and discard.
Mushroom are very low carb and have a little protein.
This meal can be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. While it is cooking make the coleslaw and toast your burger buns. That's it!
Use homemade bbq sauce or store bought sauce, either works!
When you assemble the burger, place the portobello on the bun first stem side up. Placing it with the stem side up creates a natural bowl for the sliced mushrooms, peppers and onions and keeps them from sliding off - then top it off with a big dollop of cole slaw!
Portobello mushrooms give the sandwich that big steak flavor and making it in your slow cooker is super easy. A Portobello Mushroom Sandwich is big, meaty, hearty and most of all delicious!
Things to know
- toast or grill the bread (keeps it from getting soggy)
- remove the gills from the portobello mushrooms
- place the portobello mushroom on the bun first, stem side up - this creates a natural bowl for the sliced mushrooms, peppers and onion
- can be made in the instant pot
There are several great sandwiches on the blog - here are some of the favorites!
- Peanut Butter Honey Sandwich - a classic family favorite!
- Tomato Sandwich with Avocado and Pesto - perfect in the summertime when you're looking for a light meal.
- Avocado Toast Breakfast Sandwich - this is so good and a great way to start the day.
- Salad and sandwich is always delicious - serve with Mom's Deviled Egg Potato Salad Recipe or a great Green Salad with Fruit.
- Top your sandwich with some yummy Tomato Relish!
- This recipe for Mexican fruit salad is another great pairing.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 16 oz package pre-sliced mushroom
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup bbq sauce - use your favorite
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- healthy pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ head cabbage
- 2 carrots
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Clean the portobello mushrooms, remove the stem & fins, place in the slow cooker. Top with the pre-sliced mushrooms.
- Slice the bell pepper, remove the seeds and slice into strips. Remove the outer peel from the onion and slice into strips. Place into the slow cooker with the mushrooms.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes, top with bbq sauce. Put the lid on the slow cooker & cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- While the meal is cooking, make the cole slow. Thinly slice the cabbage, clean & shred the carrots (I use a box grater.), thinly slice the onions, place in a large bowl.
- Mix the coleslaw dressing together - it will be quite thick, but that's how you want it. Mix the dressing with the vegetables, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the burger buns.
- Assemble and enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Miles of gorgeous beach. We usually have the beach to ourselves! Absolutely breathtaking beauty!
In the city of Waimanalo there is a tiny little five star vegan restaurant. Here we discovered the most amazing food! 'Ai Love Nalo keeps sparse hours and always has a line out the door.
The food is spectacular! This blog was first released two years ago. Since then every time we visit Hawaii, we dine at this restaurant.
We enjoyed a couple of meals there and a favorite is the Mushroom Burger - hands down the most fantastic burger (beef, chicken or vegan) that I've ever eaten. I've done my best since we came home to replicate that burger!
This vegetarian meal was inspired by our visit to Hawaii a couple years ago. This is a blog I released two years ago. As I was updating the recipe and pictures, I realized many of the pictures are worth sharing again, so enjoy!
I did promise you a recipe today and that recipe is for a delicious Portobello Mushroom Sandwich. This sandwich was inspired by our visit to Hawaii. When we are there, we often stay in Waimanalo which is on the eastern side of Oahu. It's the most picturesque beach I've ever seen.
Now that burger we had at 'Ai Love Nalo was pretty fabulous and I have to say, I've worked to make this recipe comparable and my hubby say I nailed it!