Golden brown and savory these baked stuffed mushrooms are an easy recipe and so delicious! Delectable, creamy and a little bit spicy these mushrooms are mouthwatering and loaded with flavor! Stuffed mushrooms can be used as an appetizer or main course!
I’m sharing this recipe with my Mom in mind. Mom loves mushrooms. Sautéed, stuffed, mushroom soup or in a salad – doesn’t matter, I think mushrooms are her very favorite food!
Mom is also my best friend – we giggle and laugh, collaborate and commiserate. She has been strength when I need it and tough when it’s time to dry those tears and move forward. Family is everything, don’t you agree?
I am SO LUCKY to have both of my folks in my life and have such a great relationship with them! I don’t know what I’d do without them. They proof every blog before it goes out. Each time they find something. Even when I’m sure I’ve went over it six times with a fine-tooth comb. They still call me and say “Debbie I found something that needs correcting…”
I’m sure they will find something in this one too, but I’m winging it! Because I can’t ask my folks to proofread a post that’s about them, right? 😀
Anyway, let’s get back to these mushrooms. Mom will love them. They are fabulous! Savory, creamy and a tiny bit spicy.
I will make them when they visit next – Mom will be happy I’m sure!
How to make baked stuffed mushrooms
- Start by cleaning the mushrooms. Take a damp paper towel and gently wipe the outside of the mushroom. Slice off the tip of the stem. Removing the remaining part of the stem to use in the filling.
- Dice an onion, celery and the stems of the mushroom, mince some garlic and into the skillet it goes with a few spices for just five minutes. Take it off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Next up – prepare the stuffing. Sausage, egg, a couple of cheeses (because we can never have too much cheese, right?!!!) and breadcrumbs. Mix this together with the sautéed veggies, stuff everything into mushrooms (in this recipe I recommend large button mushrooms – I used the brown ones as I think they have more flavor)
How long do you bake stuffed mushrooms?
After stuffing the mushrooms with the filling, bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Finishing the stuffed mushrooms under the broiler will toast them to golden brown perfection.
Baked Stuffed Mushroom Grocery List
- large mushrooms
- mild Italian Sausage
- parmesan cheese
- cream cheese
I bet I have you thinking about more easy mushroom recipes that you’re going to love, right? One of my favorites is this recipe for Mushroom Burgers – they are made in the slow cooker and are ooey-gooey, drain down your arm, lick the sauce off delicious! Be sure to bring extra napkins because I promise you – this vegetarian burger is OUTSTANDING!
Another delicious meal that centers around mushrooms is this simple and easy 30 minute Chicken Tetrazzini Soup!
Ok – by now I know I have mushrooms on your mind!
Ok – so tell me, do you love this recipe as much as we do? Leave me a comment below and be sure to give it a five-star rating! This post has been updated from 2015.
If you make this – tag me on social media with #BowlMeOver I’d love to see a picture of your meal!
More easy and delicious appetizer from the blog!
Baked Stuffed Mushrooms
Baked Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 large mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated (reserve 1 tablespoon)
- 1 oz. cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Chop the mushroom stems, dice the onions and celery. In a small saute pan over medium heat add the olive oil. When hot add the mushrooms, onions, celery. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 4 minutes until the vegetables just start to soften. Add the garlic & saute until it becomes fragrant about 30 seconds, remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Combine pork, bread crumbs and cheeses. Add the sauteed vegetables, bread crumbs and egg. Mix by hand until just combined.
- Stuff mushrooms and set in an oven proof dish. Top each mushroom with a good pinch of the Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Set temperature to broil and insert under the broiler. Broil until the tops turns golden brown - about 4-5 minutes depending upon your oven. Serve & enjoy!
Sign up for emails here!Don't worry, we don't share emails!
If you’re looking to dive a little deeper and try some different flavors – here is another recipe to try. An Affair from the Heart has a delicious and savory – Surimi Seafood Stuffed Mushrooms – stuffed with a mixture of Surimi seafood, vegetables and spices, baked up and served warm.
How about a low-carb option? The Foodie Affair has crab stuffed mushrooms without breadcrumbs!
The cheese is all melty and fabulous in these Cheesy Rice Stuffed Mushrooms from West by Midwest – Melted cheese stirred into rice with pecans, cranberries all stuffed into tender, fresh mushrooms an appetizer.
If vegetarian stuffed mushrooms is what you’re looking for, ead over to Take Two Tapas and grab this recipe for Magnificent Stuffed Mushrooms – Check out this Stuffed Mushrooms with a few surprise ingredients!