Spinach Garbanzo Bean Salad
We spent the weekend away – enjoyed a visit with family and did some window shopping in a beautiful little town – Sutter Creek, CA – known as the Jewel of the of the Mother Lode – Sutter Creek is most famous for the discovery of gold.
Named after John Sutter – who sent an expedition from Sacramento to the area to log timber, then a couple years later in 1848, gold was discovered nearby triggering the California Gold Rush.
Today the town of Sutter Creek is a historic landmark – it’s a beautiful little town, full of quaint shops, brick buildings – great wine tasting & a wonderful little cheese shop – did some sampling there!!
It was a beautiful day and a great opportunity to unplug, relax and enjoy the weekend! We had a blast!
Enjoyed an excellent meal out Friday night, an amazing breakfast Saturday at Element in Sutter Creek (really recommend this restaurant, great flavors – tasty combinations, they served up a delicious breakfast!) and a wonderful meal of Mac ‘n Cheese with family Saturday night!
It was a whirlwind weekend, lots of fun, TONS of food and well today…..it’s definitely time to lighten things up with a tasty, crunchy and delicious salad! Hence my Spinach Garbanzo Bean Salad! (see how I segway’d right into that? :D)
Lots of bright fresh flavors – which is really good during the winter months – this salad has spinach, crunchy celery, radishes, tomatoes and onions, with garbanzo beans (chick peas) and quinoa. It’s incredibly healthy and full of iron, protein and lots of healthy things that are super good for you!
You can take a shortcut and top it with a store bought Italian salad dressing or make your own red wine vinaigrette. Whichever you prefer.
This is perfect for a light lunch! Easy to make – only takes about 20 minutes and that’s because that’s how long it tastes to cook the quinoa. Here’s how it’s done!
More great green salads to enjoy!
- Southwest Salad Recipe
- Garden Salad Recipe with Creamy Vinaigrette
- Honey Glazed Orange Salad with Pistachios
- Healthy Superfood Salad
Spinach Garbanzo Bean Salad
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 14.5 oz garbanzo beans
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cucumber
- 4 radishes
- 2 green onions
- 1 stalk celery
- salad dressing
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the quinoa in well salted water. Follow the package directions. When cooked, remove from heat & drain well.
- Add the spinach to a large salad bowl. Drain the garbanzo beans & rinse well - add them to the bowl.
- Clean the cucumber, use a spoon & remove the seeds if desired, thinly slice. Also slice the radishes, green onions & celery - I sliced them on the bias, just to make them a bit prettier.
- Add the quinoa to the spinach and top with the vegetables.
- Season with salt & pepper, toss with salad dressing and serve.